Tolkien and C. S. Lewis

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
Does anyone know anything about their friendship. I noticed someone said that Tolkien was a Catholic and I believe that Lewis was a member of the Anglican church. I never read the Chronicles of Narnia, but I have read The Screwtape Letters and some of his other Christian writings. In what ways do they connect or complement each other?

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
I'm not too sure about that, but weren't they both dons (?) at Oxford at the same time? I'll try to add some research on this to my long list of things to do.

Did you see the movie about the life of C. S. Lewis? Well, actually the tear-jerker about his love life. Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger, as I recall. It was truly one of the saddest things I have ever seen. I'm sorry I cannot remember the title of the movie. I have seen it on TV several times.

If I remember the title, I'll let you know.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
If I'm not mistaken, they were both members of a discussion group called the "golden Spiders" or some such name (golden spiders is not right). It was a group that met and discussed their thoughts and theories about imaginitive writing. They brought each other up to date on the progress of their respective works, and each learned a lot from the others. Tolkein read long parts of LOTR to the group and it was discussed.

I hope someone can give better details about this group...

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Stan, I believe you are correct that
Shadowlands was the name of the movie.

And Bob, I believe you too are correct that they belonged to an organization that discussed writing. They must have mutually influenced each other.

About Shadowlands: C. S. Lewis was apparently a very inhibited and lonely man. He simply could or would not allow himself to love or be loved. Then he met an American divorcee who just about pestered him to death. But......she was able to get throught the shell and help him to express his feelings. Then........

Well, I won't tell you how it ends. Too sad!

I usually hate these kinds of movies, and find them mawkish. This one, however, tugged at my heartstrings.

I wonder if it was based on a book? If so, I would like to read it. Do any of you know?

ROLL TIDE FOREVER

[This message has been edited by LTBF (edited April 12, 2001).]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.