I Love This New Board

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
Hi! I have been lurking around Tidefans for a couple of years now, but seldom post. (But always click!) But this is my kind of place. And I hope to participate often.

I am also a big LOTR fan. It has been years since I read it and my memory is kind of hazy, but I have started re-reading it with all of you.

I live in a house full of books and for any of you that may be interested in fantasy or "imaginative writing" in addition to LOTR, I would like to suggest a couple of series which impressed me. When I find a good book, or series, I want to share it, so others will have the pleasure I did reading it.

The first series is "The Deed of Paksenarrion" by Elizabeth Moon. It is a trilogy, with 2 "pre-books" you can also get. Has anyone read it? I think after LOTR, this is the best fantasy series I have read. Very good military description, very good world building. A great story of good vs evil, and the making of a Paladin.

The second series (which is still on going) begins with "A Game of Thrones" by George R R Martin. Again good world building, several different story lines and good characterizations (even if alot of them get killed off) At this time the third book in the series has been published and I believe there will be 6 in all.

I do apologize for running on like this, but I wanted to share my favorite books (in the fantasy line) with you. As I continue with LOTR, I hope to join in that discussion and maybe come up with some trivia!!

Happy reading to all of you (but do try to get some exercise
)

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Hey, BamaCLM, glad to have you aboard! I think most of us are REreading LOTR. It may be new to Plato and some others.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look up this thread when I get through all that is on my plate now and looking for something else. I don't know when that may be, however. They sound like great series!

Feel free to jump into the discussions that we are having, or start a new topic. all of us seem to take things from a slightly different perspective, and see different things.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Welcome, CLM!! Keep your promise, and join in! We are having a lot of fun with LOTR, and we want to get completely through with it before the movie comes out in December.

I haven't found either of the works you recommend, which pleases me immensely, even though they will make my "to read list" stretch VERY far out! They sound like just the kind of thing I like.

If you have not discovered Orson Scott Card, I highly recommend just about anything he writes. There is a series about a character called Ender Wiggin that is absolutely delicious. Ender's Game is the first in the series.

Come back often, and give us your perceptions as you re-read LOTR...

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
Thank you for your welcome. I have not read the Orson Scott Card series you mentioned, bobstod, but I do have his series "The Tales of Alvin Maker" which I thought was excellent. Have you read that one? I will certainly read the Ender series, as soon as my book budget allows it! I wonder if we could organize a book swap. You wouldn't believe what I spend on books (well maybe you would!) I should have stock in Amazon.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Me too, CLM! I never go on there without spending a minimum of seventy dollars!

I have the entire Alvin Maker series, but my Ender Wiggin books are scattered among my sons and son-in-law.

In another vein, I wonder if you have discovered my FAVORITE series of books, the Patrick O'Brian novels about the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic era? Without rival, the best historical fiction available in the world!

There are 20 of them, and every one is wonderful.

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
No, I have never heard of them, but I will be sure to look them up.

The best book about the Napoleonic Wars that I have read is "The Infamous Army" by Georgette Heyer, a description of the Battle of Waterloo. Don't be alarmed that she is a romance writer; she is also an historian and I have heard it said that this book is the best written about Waterloo. Very detailed.

Now I am away to Amazon!!

[This message has been edited by BamaCLM (edited April 13, 2001).]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.