CShine: RE History of the Confederate Navy...

The Tusk

Scout Team
Oct 13, 1999
RI
Finished it last week and it was a pretty good read. I was surprised at some of the points revealed by the author (the extent of ironclad construction by the CSN, commando operations, etc.). The depth and quality of his research was obvious. However, the author seemed to have fallen under the spell of the Lost Cause and overly-romanticized parts of the history.

Good suggestion.

CShine

Banned
Aug 5, 2000
Huntsville, AL
Speaking of the overly romanticized lost cause, I seem to remember that his preface mentions that Confederate history plays well to the Italian sensibilities he grew up with. I had not known that there was such an strong overseas interest in the Confederate cause. I thought, as you did, that he was sometimes a bit gushing in his recounting of Confederate efforts. He was certainly in awe of how much the Confederate Navy was able to achieve despite starting from absolute zero. Still, I gave him some credit for being upfront about his own potential biases toward the history he was recounting. I don't think historians are ever going to be one hundred percent objective about their work even if they want to be. Personal biases creep in one way or another as information is uncovered. As a reader, I take it as an encouraging sign when writers are willing to state the personal favoritisms they may have toward one side or another. The fact the Luraghi did this and then went ahead and did an excellent job of researching his subject so that we saw the quality of his source material makes this a fine work of history. I'm glad to hear that you liked it as much as I did.

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
The two of you have tweaked my interest, and I am adding this book to my reading list. Right now, it is pretty far down, but I'll get to it eventually. I really like non-fiction better than fiction, and I may run across this book at the library in their "New Non-Fiction" section, in which case it goes to the top of my reading list.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I recently read a very fine book about the Confederate Navy, and it was very thought provoking. It is : 'Storm Over Carolina.....The Confederate Navy's Struggle For Eastern North Carolina'
Written by: R. Thomas Campbell

Not at all romanticized as some say. And there is truth to that term. Not confined to CSA history. But I am impressed with his research of facts and detail of what types of vessels came into use and why. Most people do not realize what events happened and how the results solved the Union Navy's issues as well as the Union Army. Well worth the time for any Civil War reader

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.