Ratatosk

Scout Team
Apr 22, 2001
I've enjoyed reading the Football Board for around a year and appreciated the information and opinions I found there but it took The Book End's discussion of LOTR to give me the push to join.

I bought LOTR over the weekend and hope to join the discussion after I've done some reading.Unlike many others here, this will be my first reading.

TideFans has brought together a knowledgeable group of football fans with a wide range of interests. No other board has anything like this.

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
Welcome to the board. The more the merrier.

Don't feel you have to limit yourself to LOTR. If you have a favorite book, tell us about it. Lots of us are making lists for future reading, based on what others on this board have read.

I am in hog heaven!!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Welcome, Ratatosk! Fascinating name! Is there a story there?

We Bookenders are proud that it was our board that got you to put on your trunks and dive in! We're having a lot of fun with the LOTR discussion, and many of us have recently read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. The discussion on that has been slow so far, but I expect it to pick up.

If you care at all about imaginative fiction, LOTR will be a treat. Let us know what you think as you go along!

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Won't it be nice to have reactions from two first-time readers, Plato and Ratotosk (is that right?), who sounds remarkably like Radogast, the brown wizard? Maybe they are related! PS: Not Plato and Ratatosk, Ratatosk and Radogast.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

[This message has been edited by LTBF (edited April 23, 2001).]

porkchop

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2000
Cocoa Beach
Welcome new guy. Jump right into our LOTR discussion. There are also other book discussions going on too. Enjoy!

------------------
Member of the best sports board around!

Ratatosk

Scout Team
Apr 22, 2001
Bobstod:
LTBF:

In Norse mythology, Ratatosk is the squirrel living on the mighty ash tree Yggdrasill.

This timeless tree, which has no known origin and which will survive Ragnarok, is so vast its branches spread out over the whole world and reach up over heaven. Yggdrasill has three roots. One sunk into Asgard; Under this root is the Well of Urd(Fate) guarded by the goddesses of Destiny. The second root delves into Jotunheim; under its root is the Well of Mimir, and its waters are the source of wisdom. Odin sacrificed one eye to drink from it. The third root plunges into Niflheim(World of the Dead); under this root is the Spring of Hvergelmir. This is the source of eleven rivers, and near by, the dragon Nidhogg and other unnamed serpents gnaw at the root of Yggdrasil to bring nearer the time of Ragnarok(Twilight of the Gods, Doom of the Gods).

Ratatosk runs up and down the trunk, carrying messages(insults) between Nidhogg and an eagle who sits in the topmost branches.

[This message has been edited by Ratatosk (edited April 29, 2001).]

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
I have made the brilliant deduction that you favor Norse mythology!

Have you read any books by Mickey Zucker Reichert? He/she?? wrote The Last of the Renshai (trilogy) and The Renshai Chronicles.
Now that you have put me in mind of them, I will have to read them again and check Amazon to see if anymore have been written.

porkchop

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2000
Cocoa Beach
Oh please LTBF! Quit trying to act smart. Everyone knew what his name meant!

------------------
Member of the best sports board around!

Ratatosk

Scout Team
Apr 22, 2001
BamaCLM, you are right! I do have an interest in Norse mythology.

Thanks for the reading suggestion. I'll have to put them on my already long(and still growing) list of books to read.

At the top of my list now is LOTR. I want to read enough to join the conversations soon.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.