"In Harm's Way"

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Ok, I didn't make the mistake of trying to use Italics in the subject box. I found out earlier that THAT didn't work!

About 10 years ago, or so, I read a book about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis in the Pacific near the end of WWII. It was the ship that had taken some of the parts for the A-bomb to Tinien Island. It left Tinien and was on its way to Honolulu when it was torpedoed, with the largest loss of life of any ship disaster in US Naval history. 300 or so were killed when the ship was hit, the rest if the approximately 1100 killed were eaten by sharks in the water, or drank sea water and died.

After reading this shocking book, I began hearing about the USS Indianapolis on the news. There was a kid in Florida who began a campaign to get justice for the skipper, who was court-martialed and later committed suicide. His surviving men, about 300 of them, also fought to have him exonerated.

Now, after all that introduction, I'll get to the point. I saw a review in today's
Birmingham News about a new book,
In Harm's Way, which is also about the USS Indianopolis, and presumably picks up the story as it has developed since the first book. I don't know if it is by the same author, but I do want to be sure to read it.

It seemed to me to be a case of the Navy blundering, LOSING the ship, failing to come to the aid of the men for FIVE days, and then blaming the skipper because he didn't ZIGZAG!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

[This message has been edited by LTBF (edited April 23, 2001).]

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
LTBF, sad to say that just goes with the job. I had a close friend and squadron-mate, a fine officer, who rose rapidly through the ranks and landed a job as skipper of the USS Saratoga.

For those of you not familiar with navy ways, to get command of an Aircraft Carrier is the only stepping stone to Admiral for an aviator. Less than one percent of naval officers ever get that far.

During NATO exercises in the Med, Saratoga accidently discharged a live anti-ship rocket and damaged a Turkish ship. My friend left the navy shortly thereafter, his career in ruins because of the failure of one or two men in the fire control sequence.

The buck has to stop somewhere, and the bridge is where it generally stops.

I feel sure that the Captain you mention was dealt an injustice, although I don't know the details. But that has been a part of the job description since the days of "wooden ships and Iron Men"...

BTW, there is another book with that same title, a fictional novel that I read decades ago. Good book, too, if I remember right. I've lost track of it now. I only have about 20% of the books that I used to have; cleared house about five or six years ago.

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Bob, I just today saw on the news the punishment handed down to the skipper of the ship that surfaced under the Japanese boat near Hawaii. The buck, indeed, stops on the bridge.

I wonder if you are talking about a book that was made into a movie starring, I think John Wayne, about the Navy in the Pacific during WWII? I really don't know if there was a book, but I do know there was a movie entitled In Harm's Way because my brother was in the Navy at the time, and was stationed on the ship on which the movie was filmed. He got to be an extra.

I thought about the coincidence of the titles when I posted last night, but did not bring it up. The post was long enough as it was!

I've got the review from yesterday's paper, and I may post about it again. I really like to read non-fiction.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
Just saw on the news tonight, that the crew of the Indianapolis received medals for their service during wartime. They also said that the captain's court marshal couldn't be reversed by the navy, so they are going for a presidential pardon to exonerate him. This doesn't make sense to me. They stated that the mission was so secret that the ship didn't have proper intelligence and also that was why it took so long to pick up the survivers. If that is the case, why can't they reverse a court marshall that was wrong. Of course it won't make any difference to the poor captain now.

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
BamaCLM, I head the same story. It is a mystery to me. I do hope the President will pardon the skipper. I had never even heard of the The Indianapolis until I read that book those years ago. I was shocked at what I learned. I have heard different stories, or read them, since then. What a travesty of justice that was!

I will be reading In Harm's Way when I find it at the library. I guess I should just buy it, but I'm cheap!

If I bought every book that I got interested in, I would tie up all my money that way. The house would be bulging at the seams, and we would have to move out to make room for them all!

Thanks for the comments!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.