Where is everybody, in LOTR?

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Bob complained (well, maybe not compained) that I had gotten ahead of him. I just finished the "Helmsdeep" chapter, but I am going to stop for a while, until I know where others are. I know that Plato was ahead of me, but he didn't want to post until he had finished the whole thing. I don't know why. If I waited, I would forget everything I had read from the beginning.

I will continue to do some posts up through the "Helmsdeep" chapter, however.

Meanwhile, I am going to be reading
Nothing Like It In the World. It goes pretty quickly.

So, if you are reading LOTR, let me know where you are. That means you too, Plato.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
Looks like we are the only ones on the board this late tonight LBTF.

I have started The Return of the King and am at the part where Pippin has just pledged to Denethor. I too stopped reading until we all were together. I feel I must say (altho it might be sacrilege) that the second part of the Two Towers was sooooo slooooow. That is the part detailing Frodo, Sam and Gollum's trip to Mordor. I found myself skimming and had to go back and reread numerous times. I realize it is essential to the book and it really emphasises (sp) how very very difficult it was for Frodo, but in all honesty, I was glad when I finished it.

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Yes, we do seem to be talking to each other! Don't you think that was intentional on Tolkien's part, to give a sense of how slow the journey was, and how dangerous?

When the company was together, the pace was pretty quick, but when they got separated, the pace clearly slows down.

I haven't gotten that far yet, but I feel the same way about the chapters leading up to "Helmsdeep." Again, I feel this may be intentional.

I go to bed reading, and when it has finally put me to sleep, I am sitting there with my book in my hands, not really grasping anything. Then the next night, I have to back up 2 or 3 pages to something that I remember.

Right now I am watching the Cubs beat SFran on WGN, and reading and writing on "Bookends." In my spare time, I do homebound teaching, work on genealogy, read, do the housewife thing, and try to work out occasionally. I work out by walking at the rec center. I had made it up to 4 miles at a pop, then I broke two toes and had to stop for a while. Boy, it's tough to get started back. Especially when there are so many interesting things to do that are more fun than walking. Well, actually, I enjoy walking a lot. I guess I need to get some headphones, books on tape, and listen as I walk.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
I agree with you that it was intentional. How else could you get the sense of Frodo's determination and the despair he sometimes felt. And therefore his courage in continuing. It also reveals a remnant of good in Gollum and establishes his "schizophrenia" regarding the ring and Frodo. "Listening" to his conversations with himself is blood chilling.

I don't get WGN but I know you are a big Cub fan so I hope they held on and won. I just finished watching a special on Rod Stewart on VH1.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
We will be at Helm's Deep early next week, LTBF.

I don't know WHERE Plato is! He must be on vacation or something. WHERE ARE YOU, PLATO????

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
CLM, glad to hear that you are are of the female persuasion! There are times I think I am holding down the fort alone, here.

Cubs won 7-2, but are trailing 3-zip in today's game so far.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

Jun 16, 2000
Fresno, CA
Well, I am here! I have only 70 pages to go in Return of the King...Sauron is defeated, the war is won, Faramir has put the moves on Eowyn (
), and all I have to read is about the scouring of the Shire.

After I finish, I wanted to collect some of my thoughts all at once. Don't worry...I should be through in just a couple of days. I'll chime in then. I have underlined several things, and I have some ideas.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.