ODDS and ENDS from LOTR (again)

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
For the last 300 or 400 pages I have been highlighting, underlining, and turning down pages for things I want to discuss. Now I finally have the book down in the den with me, so I am going to post some of these things in this thread. If you want to discuss any of these ideas, which may, and probably will, touch on other threads, feel free to hop right in!

Beautiful passage: From the chapter entitled "The Great River": Legolas describing the concept of time for the Elves: " 'Nay, time does not tarry ever,' he said; 'but the world moves, and it moves both very swift and very slow. Swift, because they themselves change little, and all else fleets by; it is a grief to them. Slow, because they do not count the running years, not for themselves. The passing seasons are but ripples ever repeated in the long long stream. Yet beneath the Sun all things must wear to an end at last.' "

And for the Elves, of course, their existence in Middle Earth is coming to an end.

Great passage, same chapter: " 'Fear not!' said a strange voice behind him. Frodo turned and saw Strider, and yet not Strider; for the weatherworn Ranger was no longer there. In the stern sat Aragorn, son of Arathorn, proud and erest, guiding the boat with skillful strokes; his hood was cast back, and his dark hair was blowing in the wind, a light was in his eyes: a king returning from exile to his own land."

From the chapter called "The Breaking of the Fellowship"-Frodo has put on the Ring and is coming to the attention of the Dark Lord.

"He heard himself crying out: Never, never! Or was it Verily I come, I come to you? He could not tell. Then as a flash from some other point of power there came to his mind another thought: Take it off! Take it off! Fool, take it off! Take off the Ring!"

This of course is Gandalf, calling out to him through time and space, and an example of Gandalf's powers, even after he has disappeared in the Mines of Moria.

Aragorn says (same chapter) " 'I do not think it is our part to drive him (the Ringbearer) one way or the other. Nor do I think that we should succeed, if we tried. There are other powers at work far stronger.' "

In the chapter entitled "The Palantir" Theoden King says, " 'Strange powers have our enemies, and strange weaknesses! But it has long been said: Oft evil will shall evil mar.' "

From "The Taming of Smeagol":

"It seemed to Frodo that he heard, quite plainly but far off, voices out of the past:

What a pity Bilbo did not stab the vile creature, when he had a chance! Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity and Mercy: not to strike without need.
I do not feel any pity for Gollum. He deserves death.
Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give that to them? Then be not too eager to deal out death in the name of justice, fearing for your own safety. Even the wise cannot see all ends.
Here is that metaphysical idea that the Ring cannot be unmade without Gollum's help, however unwillingly given.

I loved Sam's description of the two halves of Gollum's personality: Slinker and Stinker!

Frodo refers to Gollum as Smeagol, and says, " 'I will trust you once more. Indeed it seems that I must do so, and that it is my fate to receive help from you, where I least looked for it, and your fate to help me whom you long pursued with evil purpose.' "

Frodo says that he was told by Elrond that he should find friendship along the way, secret and unlooked for. He had found and received help from Faramir, and he says that "To have found it turns evil to great good."

Sam's devotion to Frodo is touchingly revealed after he thinks that Frodo has been killed by Shelob, and he knows that he must carry of the quest, but cannot bear to leave Frodo behind, and "He knelt and held Frods's hand and could not release it.'

The Macbeth-like prediction that the King of the Nazguls cannot be slain by any man. He is then slain by Eowyn, a woman dressed in man's garb.

Well, I didn't mean for this to be so long, but I have other things. They will have to await another time.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

[This message has been edited by LTBF (edited May 13, 2001).]

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LTBF:

And for the Elves, of course, their existence in Middle Earth is coming to an end.
</font>
I am curious. I don't recall the reasons for the elves leaving Middle Earth. Can anyone explain this?
Several interesting thoughts LTBF.

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
OK, It's been a long time since I read the end of this book. As I recall it, at the end, they just pack up their bags and sail away to the Gray Havens. Bilbo goes with them. I think it was just that their time on earth was done, and they left. I have about 150 pages left to finish reading the book. When I find out, I'll let you know. You might get there before me. If so, you can let me know. Thanks for the reply!

LONG LIVE FRODO!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
I am trying to find the exact passage, and when I do, I'll include it, but it seems the Third Age of ME was the age of Elves and Half-Elves. But the Third Age is drawing to an end, as Sauron is slowly but inexorably being destroyed. When the Fourth Age dawns, it will be the Age of Men, and the Elves and their kin will return West to the Grey Havens. Bilbo will go with them. Arwen Evenstar, the daughter of Elrond the Half-elven, will remain as the bride of the King, Aragorn, and choose mortality. She offers to give her place to Frodo, in honor of his service to Men and Elves. But he chooses not to go. After the Ruling Ring is unmade in the cracks of Mount Doom, the other Rings have no power. I believe that only the three Elvish Rings remain at this point, and they become powerless.

LONG LIVE FRODE!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
LTBF, Barbara and I are just about to take the Paths of the Dead. She is really enjoying the trilogy, which is a great thrill for me, because I have loved it for so long.

I think you are incorrect about Frodo, though. I'm certain that he goes to the Grey Havens right at the end of the book; after which Sam returns home to the Shire and to Rosie Cotton, and says:"Well, I'm back."

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
You could be right about Frodo. I haven't QUITE finished. I'll do that tonight.

LONG LIVE FRODO!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Here is a beautiful passage from the next-to-the-last page of LOTR:

"Then Elrond and Galadriel rode on; for the Third Age was over, and the Days of the Rings were passed, and an end was come of the story and song of those times. With them many Elves of the High Kindred who would no longer stay in Middle-earth; and among them, filled with a saddness that wasyet blessed and without bitterness, rode Sam, and Frodo, and Bilbo, and the Elves delighted to honour them.

"Though they rode through the midst of the Shire all the evening and all the night, none saw them pass,.............And when they had passed from The Shire, going about the south skirts of the White Down, they came to the Far Downs, and to the Towers, and looked on the distant Sea, and so they rode down at last to Mithlond, to the Grey Havens to the long firth of Lune.

"As they came to the gates Cirdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them.Very
tall he was, and his beard was long, and he was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars; and he looked at them and bowed, and said; All is now ready.

"Then Cirdan led them to the Havens, and there was a white ship lying and upon the quay beside a great grey horse stood a figure robed all in white awaiting them."

And of course, that was Gandalf, and he wore one of the Elvish Rings, Narya the Great, with a stone as red as fire. And they knew then that Gandalf would take ship and depart also to the West.

And so Galadriel, wearing a Ring of mithril with a white stone, and Elrond, with a Ring with a blue stone, and Bilbo and Frodo, and the others, took to the ship and sailed away, out of sight and out of memory, save only to the hobbits of the Shire, and of course, to us, through the immortal words of JRRT.

LONG LIVE FRODO!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
LTBF, Barbara and I have not gotten there yet...we are still in Minas Tirith preparing for the Battle of the Pellanor Fields.

I know when I try to read those last few pages I'm going to choke up. It is so sad and final to me, and marks the end of something brave and wonderous and beautiful.

------------------

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Bob, I believe that way back earlier, when we were just beginning on this quest, I posted about how I felt when I first read that passage.

My very first time through LOTR, and I was bawling like a baby at the end. I still tear up every time I read that. It leaves me with an infinite sadness, a yearning that I cannot put into words. I'm like Sam: I want to meet an elf. I can hardly bear it that they have all gone away and left us behind to deal with all of life's tragedies and ugliness and sadness, without their inspiration to guide us.

To never have known LOTR would probably be the unkindest cut of all. What does it say about our longing for something outside of ourselves, whatever we call it, that makes so many people love LOTR so much? I know the adventure is great. But I don't think that is all there is to it. And I hope the makers of the film don't approach it just as a great adventure.

There is such depravity in LOTR, but to see it overcome, and kicked in the arse by four halflings, and a few others, is so rewarding!

The goodness, or benevolence, if you will, of the universe is really what sets the kick in the arse in motion.

And I love it back in the shire, when four hobbits take their beloved land back from Sharkey and his degenerates, and kick them in the arse.

Would you call this self-actualization? If so, we have come full circle. Ah, there's the Ring: full circle: eternity!

LONG LIVE FRODO!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Carolyn, I have no doubt that it is that longing, that deep inner need to savor something beautiful and good, that drove JRRT to write about elves.

And I know exactly what you mean. The elves embody all the qualities that we are drawn to: physical beauty, wisdom, strength, permanancy. Perhaps part of the sadness arises from the very fact that, although they are timeless, they have been lost to us.

JRRT uses the different races to illustrate certain qualities of character. Men are suseptible to weakness and evil, but are also more Kingly, more stern and commanding, and more rooted in the present than elves. The hobbits exhibit those qualities we adore in plain country folk: love of food, music, and parties. Honesty, transparency, and the ability to take pleasure in simple things and easy company. Yet, underneath, a strength and resiliency that simply has to reflect JRRTs image of the common British Citizen during WWII, when they cheerfully gathered in the underground at night to wait out the German bombs.

No author writes in a vacuum. JRRT stated that he abhorred allegory in all its detestable forms, but he was a Christian, and he was English through and through. When you visit that beautiful island, you cannot avoid seeing the Shire wherever you look. Can you picture Hobbits being anything other than English?

Barbara and I are deeply into the battle before the gates of Minas Tirith. I have begun A Confederacy of Dunces, but have not gotten far enough along yet to form a solid opinion. I will say that I have never encountered a protagonist quite like this one!!!

------------------

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Yes, Aloysious (is that how you spell it?) is quite a card, isn't he? I didn't know you were going to start on it so soon. I meant to read a few others things while waiting for everyone to get safely back to the Shire. Now, I'll just get old Aloysious out and begin reading about him.

I always wondered why this was not ever made into a movie, but, really, I know why. It would simply be impossible. You'll understand that better as you go along.

And I defy you to detect a benevolent universe theme in A Confederacy of Dunces. The title says it all!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

Ratatosk

Scout Team
Apr 22, 2001
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CapstoneStan:
I am curious. I don't recall the reasons for the elves leaving Middle Earth. Can anyone explain this?
Several interesting thoughts LTBF.
</font>
Here is , from The Silmarillion, a partial explanation of why the Elves were leaving Middle-earth:

"Of the Three Rings that the Elves had preserved unsullied no open word was ever spoken among the Wise...Yet after the fall of Sauron their power was ever at work, and where they abode there mirth also dwelt and all things were unstained by the griefs of time....the Ring of Sapphire was with Elrond...whereas the Ring of Adamant was in the Land of Lórien where dwelt the Lady Galadriel....But the Red Ring remained hidden until the end..."

"...Yet many voices were heard among the Elves foreboding that, if Sauron should come again, then either he would find the Ruling Ring that was lost, or at the best his enemies would discover it and destroy it; but in either chance the powers of the Three must then fail and all things maintained by them must fade, and so the Elves should pass into the twilight and the Dominion of Men begin."

"And so indeed it has since befallen; the One and the Seven and the Nine have passed away, and with them the Third Age is ended, and the tales of the Eldar in Middle-earth draw to their close...."

Ratatosk

Scout Team
Apr 22, 2001
We've talked about how LOTR has affected us but it also affected Tolkien himself rather deeply. He put much of himself in his books. Here is an excerpt from from a letter to his son, Christopher Tolkien, dated 11 July 1972:

"I have at last got busy about Mummy's grave....The Inscription I should like is:

EDITH MARY TOLKIEN
1889-1971
Lúthien

:brief and jejune, except for Lúthien, which says for me more than a multitude of words: for she was (and knew she was) my Lúthien."

The story of Lúthien is found in The Silmarillion.

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
OK, Ratatosk, stay out of this! You've got me blubbering again, and I can't stand that!

"The red ring remained hidden until the end." But at the end, at the quay at the Grey Havens, Gandalf himself was wearing the red ring, which gave out flashes of blood-red light. Did Gandalf have it all along? If not, from where did he acquire it?

LONG LIVE FRODO!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

Ratatosk

Scout Team
Apr 22, 2001
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LTBF:

"The red ring remained hidden until the end." But at the end, at the quay at the Grey Havens, Gandalf himself was wearing the red ring, which gave out flashes of blood-red light. Did Gandalf have it all along? If not, from where did he acquire it?

</font>

Appendix B of LOTR tells when Gandalf received the Ring of Fire from Círdin. Speaking of the Third Age: "When maybe a thousand years had passed, and the first shadow had fallen on Greenwood the Great, the Istari or Wizards appeared in Middle-earth...."

"Throughout the Third Age the guardianship of the Three Rings was known only to those who possessed them. But at the end it became known that they had been held at first by the three greatest of the Eldar: Gil-galad, Galadriel and Cirdan. Gil-galad before he died gave his ring to Elrond; Círdan later surrendered his to Mithrandir. For Círdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-earth, and he welcomed Mithrandir at the Grey Havens, knowing whence he came and whither he would return.

"'Take this Ring, Master,' he said, 'for your labors will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness that you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill. But for me, my heart is with the Sea, and I will dwell by the grey shores until the last ship sails. I will await you.'"

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Thanks Ratatosk, for that explanation. I am finally back reading the Appendices, but have not gotten past Appendix A yet. I finally finished the Stephen Ambrose book about the laying of the transcontinental railroad, have gotten through the WWII code-breakers books, and have finished The Hunchback of Notre Dame for my students (THAT is a killer to read!), and have finished the Harry Potter book with my granddaughter, so can now finish the Appendices, and get ACOD to begin.

I have a talent for seeing coincidences, I guess, but I was struck by one recently. In the Harry Potter book, I came across the name Nicholas Flamel (or something like that, not sure of the spelling). I assumed this was made up by the author, but then I ran across the same name, as a sourcerer, in THOND. Now, I suspect that he is a fictional, and not a real, character, but in Harry Potter, he is a REAL fictional character, if you get my drift. She seems to have borrowed every imaginable thing from all sorts of fiction, as long as they deal with the supernatural. I didn't dream that I would enjoy Harry Potter, but I did.

In HP, somebody (illegally) gets a dragon, and it is called a "Norwegian Humpbacked Dragon". The book is VERY clever!

Well, what next? Have we agreed on something past ACOD?

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
It is intriguing to think that Gandalf possessed the Ring of Fire secretly from his arrival in Middle Earth! That almost presupposes that he purposely allowed Saruman to ascend to leadership of the White Council! And that implies wisdom and foresight beyond our imagination!

We gradually realize that there is more to Gandalf than meets the eye. This is orchestrated by JRRT, as is the revelation of the true majesty and power of Aragorn, and it adds richness to the tale, allowing it to mature into a story of depth and importance.

But to reveal that Gandalf held the Red Ring in the final chapter of the book! That is depth taken to a new level! It's as if JRRT knew and expected that people would delve deeper and deeper into his masterpiece, and he left buried treasures there to be discovered and savored by the dilignet!

As you all know, I have been a fan of this work for more than thirty years, but I have never appreciated it as much as I now do, as a result of your erudition and willingness to share your knowledge and opinions! For that, I could not thank you enough in a single age of Middle Earth...

------------------

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Same with me, Bob. There are so many things that I simply did not see or recognize or understand the relevance of, the first five or six times I read the book. Seeing it through the eyes of someone else, and reading it with an eye to seeing the hidden, has made me so much more appreciative of what IS hidden, ever so carefully, by Tolkien.

I never really understood the story of the trip through the Paths of the Dead until this time. If we had not begun discussing the concept of redemption in LOTR, I still might not understand it.

I read The Silmarilion once many years ago, and have read the Appendices, but I simply did not remember that story about Gandalf and the Ring of Fire. Now I won't ever forget it!

So, thanks to all of you who have helped sharpen my appreciation for this wonderful work. I simply cannot wait to see the movie. The only thing that scares me is, I don't see how it can possibly live up to my expectations for it.

Now, what CAN we read that we can possisbly appreciate and enjoy the way we have enjoyed LOTR?

Roll Tide Forever!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.