WHAT'S NEXT?

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
We are coming to the end of our discussions on LOTR (regrettably), and I have a feeling that Dunces will not occupy our thoughts and talents for nearly as long or as productively.

The question looms like an elephant in the living room: What Next?

I have been so gratified and fulfilled but the LOTR discussions that I'm a little intimidated about selecting another work. I really want something we can get our teeth into, and so far nothing has jumped out to grab the spotlight.

I'm tempted to suggest [It] by Steven King, if for no other reason than that he has been disrespected as a pulp writer of no consequence (other than as a huge commercial success!).

I don't think that is so. I think he knows a lot about quality writing, symbolism, style, and character development. And he writes so well about kids! It contains some of his best writing about kids, juxtaposed against the same people as adults.

However, I'm not stuck on this idea. My deepest hope is that we can find something that inspires the kind of appreciation and insightful discussion that we enjoyed so much with LOTR. Good as King's It is as a novel, it will fall short of that goal.

I hope everyone will give a lot of thought to this in the next few weeks. Pick something and post it here, with some of your reasons for thinking that it will fit the high expectations we have. Let's don't rush into anything. We still have time for more productive thoughts on LOTR, and we've barely begun on Dunces.

I would like to hear something on this from tosk, and CLM, and Tusker. We'd be smart to pick something that appeals to a fairly large readership, since participation on this board has slipped somewhat recently, and a shot in the arm would not be amiss.

Put your thinking caps on, folks, and let's get some suggestions out there for discussion. LTBF, as our most faithful contributor (and as one who has my admiration and respect), what are your thoughts?

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Well, I believe I discussed this in another thread, maybe the one by The Tusk. I thought about The Forgotten Soldier, the one that Tusk discussed, if we can all be brave enough to get involved in something that graphic. If not, how about Tapsby Willie Morris? I am not much of a Stephen King fan, although if that is what everybody else wants, I'll go along. I would like to read something that I haven't read before. I have yet to read ACOD this time. I last read it about 15 years ago. It was checked out at the library and when I went to the bookstore, they didn't have it. I could order it, I guess, but would like to begin it right away.

Maybe I'll have time tomorrow to seek it out. If not, I'll just order it on the Internet.

Please send in your cards and letters, boys and girls, and let us know what your pleasure is in this matter.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

PacificTide

Scout Team
Oct 12, 1999
Angier, NC
I just got my copy of The Forgotten Soldier today and I'm starting it tomorrow when I can kick back. Perhaps we can have a couple of threads but I'd enjoy discussing this one as it seems like a great read.

Ratatosk

Scout Team
Apr 22, 2001
Tolkien will be a hard act to follow. Someone (I believe) once suggested that two books could be selected for reading. That sounds reasonable to me. Slow readers or those who don't have much time could read only one book. Faster readers or those who have more time could read both books. Of course that might have the disadvantage of diluting the responses. My taste in books often diverges from the mainstream but here are a few suggestions.

A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Divided into three parts -- Fiat Homo, Fiat Lux, Fiat Voluntas Tua. A search for meaning that starts in the Dark Ages following a nuclear war. This book is steeped in Catholicism and church Latin. If your Latin is a little rusty, don't worry. The author very skillfully weaves the translation into the story line and uses it to contribute to the effect he is creating. Two interesting themes (among others) emerge: the cyclic nature of history and the legend of the Wandering Jew.

---------------------------
Silence by Shusaku Endo

About the persecution of Christians in 17th century Japan and the apparent silence of God in one priest's experience. Endo is worth reading and this book is not your only choice.

----------------------------
I, Claudius: From the Autobiography of Tiberius Claudius, Born 10 B.C., Murdered and Deified A.D. 54 by Robert Graves

All the history you need to understand the intrigues of Roman politics. Claudius' greatest accomplishment was surviving long enough to become Emperor.

----------------------------

Life of Jesus by Shusaku Endo
The Last Temptation of Christ by Nikos Kazantzakis

These books could be described as 'in quest of the historical Jesus.' They may offend some Christians but they may offer greater insight into their faith for others.

The Canterbury Tales (Middle English Edition) by Geoffrey Chaucer

Why not read Chaucer in the original instead of a "modern translation" which doesn't do him justice? I think Tolkien's style in LOTR was strongly influenced by Middle Emglish. I'm going to find out (with the help of a good glossary).

Orlando Furioso by Ludovico Aristo

Classic fantasy (First published in 1516) -- Flying horses, invisibility rings, trips to the moon, enchanted castles, sword fights and duels, knightly love -- it's all here.

[This message has been edited by Ratatosk (edited June 03, 2001).]

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
I too like "IT" Bobstod. IMHO King is more than just your average run of the mill horror writer. For example, the father in The Shining reflects King's condition at that time; he was an alcoholic. He says he can't even remember writing Pet Semitary. The Stand, Deloris Clayborn, Misery, all these books have hidden depths to them.

I would also be interested in a Canticle for Leibowitz. I seem to remember reading the first book YEARS ago, so long ago that I know longer remember anything about it (not an unusual state for me these days LOL)

I would not be adverse to doing one of James Michener's books. The Source comes to mind. Mixes history and the "present" very well.

Lastly, perhaps a book by James Clavell. King Rat is the story of allied prisoners in a Japanese war camp.

And on a lighter note, maybe one of Fannie Flagg's books, since she is a home state gal.

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
All these seem like good selections which will stretch our minds a great deal. I too like Michener's The Source. I have read most of his books; this is my favorite. It has been probably 20 years since I last read it, so have forgotten all except the gist, but I definitely like the way he weaves the past with the present.

Canterbury Tales is one of my favorites. I have just finished reading part of it with a student, although mostly in translation.

Maybe we should just let everyone begin reading something that appeals to him or her, and posting about it. Then, if it tickles our fancy, we can pick up on it.

BTW, I got A Confederacy of Dunces today, and will definitely read it with new eyes. I know I'll still think it is hilarious, though.

Sajer's book I have not located yet. I am going to read it next, if I find it before we decide what to do next. Of course, that might be what we decide to read next, as a group.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Tosk, you're just too damn erudite for this company! Canterbury Tales in old English? Egads!! I recall memorizing the introduction in High school: "Whan that aprille withe her shoures asute, and the drougth of Marche has pierced to the roote, and bathed every vein withe switche liquore... I repeat, Egads!!!

Liebowicz, however, sounds like something I could do. I have never read it.

LTBF, I'm going to see if I can find Forgotten Soldier at the library. I have bought so many books from Amazon lately that I fear Barbara is going to curtail my allowance.

I like the idea of more than one selection. I think it would be a good thing if people would come over here and tell us about what they are reading, get some discussion going about it. Probably discover more books that I simply HAVE to read, though!

------------------

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
I too like the idea of more than one book, mainly because my book allowance is all used up and I am stuck with what I have managed to gather together in the last 30 years!! But most of my library is light reading, and probably not suitable for discussion on this board. I am very eclectic (had to look that one up to make sure it meant what I thought it did!) and have books ranging from biographies through main authors like Michener, Clavell and King, to sf and fantasy, with authors like Ann McCaffrey and Elizabeth Moon and on to mysteries a la Agatha Cristy, John Grisham, Margaret Frazer and a zillion others, it seems. (I hope that is a complete sentence). I would love to turn others on to authors I love, but the converse may prove to be expensive. I thank you Bobstod for bringing Sharon Kay Penman to my attention. I now have all her books! that is what I mean by expensive. If I like a book, I want to own it. And it gets reread often.

So lets have a vote, and if we decide for different books after ACOD, state what book we will read.

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
I would favor Canticle because I have it and have never read it and it appeals to me. I have yet to read Ender's Game recommended to me by Bob and the Franklin biography recommended by Tusk. Plus I have all of these on hand. Thank heavens my baseball season ends next Monday and maybe I can do some serious reading. I still intend to finish ACOD. I am about halfway.

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Tonight on HBO, I watched The Conspiracy about the Wannsee Conference at which the Final Solution was hammered out. After that, I'm not sure I could stomach The Forgotten Soldier, at least not for a while.

BTW, there is a marvelous book about Albert Speere (sp?), in which he finally admits, after all these years, that he knew about the Final solution, and was at the Wannsee Conference, although he is not depicted in the film. He had claimed for years that he was there, but had left on the day the decision was made to take a short side trip, so was not privy to the decision. I'm sorry that I cannot remember the name of the book, nor the author. I know the author was a woman, perhaps French.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

PS: I'm just not up to reading The Canterbury Tales in the original! Sorry, folks, but there it is!

crimson princess

Oct 13, 1999
north Alabama, near Huntsville
The Forgotten Soldier is being re-read again in my household right now.

Bobstod, I just saw where you had previously mentioned Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman. That whole series is great! Llewellyn's little brother David is a mess isn't he? I spent a lot of time in college researching The Welsh Princes, starting from Owain Gwynedd and found the books pretty darned good. The intrigue, scheming, gossip, affairs, suspicion, knives in the back and family fueds reminded me of an old 80s night-time soap opera but it was real. Penman writes easy too. She keeps you in there even if you know the historical outcome. I do detest Edward Longshanks even more now after reading that. What a vile man he was.

Armando Valladeres' Against All Hope is one that I will recommend strongly. I read it in the spring. He is a Cuban poet (prisoner of conscience) who spent 22 years locked in Castro's prisons, beaten, tortured, starved, but never gave up hope and faith in God. Unbelievable story that makes you feel glad for what you have and you want to meet this man who did lived through this and told this story to the world. You will likely have to order this one from the net but you'd be glad you did.

Ratatosk

Scout Team
Apr 22, 2001
Picking a book that is easily available from the local library would be very helpful. Like some others, I need to cut back on my spending for books this year.

I already have A canticle for Liebowitz and I just ordered ACOD.

I've never read Michner, King or Flagg so something by either either of those authors would be good choices for me, so would A Canticle for Liebowitz). Most local libraries would have them.

I've noticed that some libraries let you search their card catalogs through their web site. My local library doesn't do that but you can search their card catalog through telnet. I can find out which books the library has, which branch they are at, and whether they are checked out or available. It's very convenient. If you haven't already done so you might check with your own library to see what's available from them.

porkchop

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2000
Cocoa Beach
I also like the more than one book theme. I am not a big reader. I am the kind of person that would rather watch the made for TV movie. So, if I read it, it has to be pretty good.
There are many books here suggested that are probably great books. I'll probably never read them tho. I like King. He and Tolkien are my favorites. The 3 best books I've ever read were

IT
LOTR
Desperation, by King also.

IT is, by far the best. I love LOTR but IT is a better book altogether. I guess I really connect in some ways, being a story basically about kids. Maybe it reminds me of my childhood in some ways?
I also have some books I picked up and would like to read, like Pet Semetary and Phantoms, by Koonce. So, I may just wait a while till I get those read first, before I post anything.
But let's try and decide on something. I'm willing to entertain any ideas on the next book(s).

------------------
"In Tuscaloosa, talk is cheap. Talk is for Auburn".

CNN/SI

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Chopper, you are pretty young, if I remember correctly. I would say that Pet Sematary is King's worst book. It gets into an area of despair and hopelessness that, as a father and grandfather, I would not recommend to anyone who has small children.

I'm trying to locate 'Liebowicz' and 'Forgotten Soldier', but so far have been unsuccessful. I'm trying to borrow them rather than buy, since my Amazon bill has been so high of late. I'm getting to the end of ACOD.

I will most likely start one of the other of those two in the next few days. a report will be forthcoming...

------------------

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
I am about half-way through with ACOD. I still like it as much as ever. It gets better as you go through it.

I do plan to find at the library or buy (horrors! I spend too much on books) The Forgotten Soldier. I am open to any suggestions, but I would like to read something I haven't read before. I do want to go back and reread Siddhartha. It doesn't take long to read, and I can slip it into stolen moments.

Bob, why don't you list some of the books in a new thread, the ones that have been mentioned more than once on the board, and let us vote on one or two or three of them. That way we can read something that interests us, or that we can find without spending a fortune.

We do seem to juggle multiple books OK.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

porkchop

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2000
Cocoa Beach
I think you are probably right Bob. I got the book because I thought it had to be better than the movie. I was very unimpressed with the movie (Pet Semetary).

------------------
"In Tuscaloosa, talk is cheap. Talk is for Auburn".

CNN/SI

drunkboy29

Nov 8, 1999
Huntsville, AL
With apologies to all you King fans, I'd be kind of disappointed if we ended up dissecting one of his (IMO) pulp novels on this board.
A few suggestions:
Grant Takes Command by Bruce Catton (Civil War history)
Rule of the Bone by Russell Banks (fiction)
The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea (some fact, some fiction)
Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko (autobiography)
The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille (fiction)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.