Hobbits and my second childhood?

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
YOU DA MAN, STAN!!!

Thanks for getting us started!

See, you never know what long term results a simple act can have! All our acts send out ripples that affect everyone around us in ways we could not have imagined!

And eventually, the end result is always good!

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

[This message has been edited by bobstod (edited April 27, 2001).]

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Well, no, Stan. We don't give you THAT much credit! But without your innocent little post about your second childhood and the hobbits, we wouldn't be doing the great literary work that we are now undertaking. I give you credit for THAT!

And this thread will stay alive. I will post everytime I see it about to disappear!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

[This message has been edited by LTBF (edited April 27, 2001).]

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
I decided to bring this thread back up, since the movie is so near (and yet so far!)........

I love this trilogy, plus TH. I hope I love the movie half as much!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

lnadell

Hall of Fame
Oct 15, 1999
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
aliyagallery
I finally got off my butt and decided since the movie comes out in about 5 weeks to reread LOTR'S. I am missing several copies from my collection which is the main reason for the delaying in rereading it, but I did finally purchase a copy that is all three books combined so that it will se3em more like one book and make it less likely for me to read one or two of the books and not finish all three.

Any way my point to the post was that i discovered a very interesting quote that some might have missed and find very interesting as I did. There is a verse that "Forrest Gump" borrowed or stole, of which I am not sure and it is also possible that both come from some older source unknown to me. When the hobbit party first come across Strider in Bree, and there taking coucil with him, they begin to discuss his looks or lack there or, too which Sam says "Handsome is, as handsome does", which many of you know in Forrest Gump is "Stupid is, as stupid does". Anyway I just found this to be very interesting and I find it hard to belive that it is by sheer coincidence that although the text is not exactly the same it most certainly is the same quote.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Laura, I don't know the source of that quote, but I would not be surprised to find it in Shakespeare or in Aesop's Fables. It is that ancient.

LTBF, thanks for bringing this thread back to life. With the movie less than a month away, I hope we can re-launch our discussions of LOTR and get more people interested.

I have neglected this board to a shameful degree in the past weeks and months...I just got too involved with our season, and with 9/11, and with some problems at home. I intend to make up for it in the coming winter and all the way 'til next football season!

I am re-reading the Patrick O'Brian novels (there are 20 of them, and I'm currently in number 11) but I'm going pretty fast, and I will be starting some new books, and looking to stir some interest for new threads, after the Christmas holidays.

Can't wait for the release of LOTR. I'll be checking in here more regularly from now on. Lets talk Hobbits!

------------------
ALABAMA: Tradition; Class; A name to respect in College Football

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
I have seen the LOTR trailer, and the movie seems fascinating.

Laura and I went to see Harry Potter on Thursday, and it seems to use so many different sources to create its magic (no pun intended). Tolkien is certainly one of the sources that you will easily recognize as you read through the books.

I have a new Internet source, one that Laura found, to suggest to Tolkien buffs. It is The Encyclopedia of Arda. She and I were reading the section about who Tom Bombadil is, or is supposed to be. Fascinating stuff. Give it a try!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.