Lee's decision to take the Army of Northern Virginia into Pennsylvania

porkchop

Scout Team
Aug 21, 2000
Cocoa Beach
I didn't mean to imply that the Baltimore riots happened at the same time as Gettysburg. I knew they were earlier, but couldn't remember the year. I guess I was also thinking that a major victory on northern soil might have changed the outlook for Maryland, but we'll never know.
Also, I am suprised as well that many more Marylanders did not flock to the colors of the Confederacy. I think Bragg also stated that he experienced this when he invaded Kentucky.

------------------
"Crimson Tide. The polite way of saying bloodbath".

Craig Kilborne Show

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
I earlier mentioned a memoir in CWTI written by Benjamin W. Thompson, a Union colonel who was present at Gettysburg. I thought I would share some of his material with you:

"Before nine A.M. the right of our army's line, resisting on Culps Hill, north and east of the Cemetery, was savagely attacked by Ewell's Corps. The hill hid the forces from our sight, but the roar of small arms and cannon was continuous and betokened a severe battle. We could se our men and guns at intervals, being moved in to assist and our interest was intense. By noon the firing was almost completely ceased and we learned that Ewell's Corps had been repulsed and he had withdrawn his force to his former position. (This was on July 2)

".....

"The Third Corps had moved in on our left, but, instead of prolonging our line, General Sickles had moved out to Peach Orchard Knoll nearly half a mile in front of our left. He and General Meade sat on their horses, probbly discussing this move, which was evidently contrary to General Meade's plan, when the Corps was struck by an assault of Lee's forces outnumbering them three or four to one. We were able to see a batle in which we were not participants.

"The Third Corps men fought like heroes and held their ground stubbornly and when driven gave way slowly and kept their formations; but after an hour or more it was evident that they could not hold the position against such odds. It was an exciting battle, and our fate was hanging in the balance; for if Lee broke through our lines at this point our position on Cemetery Hill would have been untenable and the chance would have been all against us.

".....

".....we charged in the Plum Run Thicket, where we were ordered to lie down, a rebel line of battle being on the other side of the alders, not over a rod away.

"The constant rain of missiles at this point was terrific. A large number of cannon at close range were pouring shell and shrapnel and canister upon us without intermission, and in our whole front was a line of riflemen giving us minie balls with such rapidity that it seemed as if nothing could live an instant exposed to their fire. One of our Lieutenants held his sword in the air for a minute and the blade was cut off just above the hilt.

"Into this hell of destruction we were ordered to charge. Our men sprang to their feet, pushed through the Plum Run Thicket of alders and ran over a line of rebels lying just the other side of the run. Then swung out into the open, a ready mark for the enemy and pushed for the Peach Orchard in our front, alive with Confederates. Men fell at every step."

And he continues to describe Gettysburg's slaughter in this way.

He describes how they learned that Lee's army had decamped during the night, and says that "the patriotism of the neighboring farmers did not shine very brightly." He says that not a person in the vicinity ofered a hand to help with anything.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.