Other: Root Beer Baked Beans

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Fry the bacon till crisp in a dutch oven type pan at least 4 quarts 5 is better
Remove bacon and saute onions in grease about 7-8 min
Add garlic and cook 1 more min
chop bacon and mix all ingredients together, bring to a boil then transfer to oven to bake uncovered 30 min or till liquid thickens.

I've been elected to bring the baked beans to a 4th gathering of about 30 people. I like to use Bushes Baked Beans with onion. I add more chopped yellow onion, sorghum (that a friend makes ;)), a little chopped green pepper, yellow mustard, a little salt and baked with bacon or smoked sausage on top.
Your recipe sounds pretty good and may try it instead of my standard. I'll report back. If everybody hates it...it's YOUR fault :biggrin2:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I've been elected to bring the baked beans to a 4th gathering of about 30 people. I like to use Bushes Baked Beans with onion. I add more chopped yellow onion, sorghum (that a friend makes ;)), a little chopped green pepper, yellow mustard, a little salt and baked with bacon or smoked sausage on top.
Your recipe sounds pretty good and may try it instead of my standard. I'll report back. If everybody hates it...it's YOUR fault :biggrin2:
Thanks a lot pal ;) I got big shoulders. I have also decided to try these for our baked beans on the 4th. Not many celebrate the 4th where I live but we still BBQ for the pure joy of it. Firing up the egg and the gas grill to do veggie stacks (eggplant topped with onion slice, topped with slice tomato, topped with cheese and a sprinkle of breadcrumbs), corn on the cob with cayenne & garlic butter, potato skins loaded with cheese & sour cream & bacon bits, and BBQ chicken quarters.

Desert is Jasper Texas all white sheet cake. 9X11 pan cake cut in half. Vanilla pudding between layers and topped with vanilla icing decorations are raspberries and blueberries.

Well, I tried the beans. While baking in the oven, the entire family commented how good they smelled. They were actually pretty good and got several positive comments at our party. One thing I would do different next time is to only cook the onions until just translucent....I think 7-8 minutes is too long

So, what did you think??

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Well, I tried the beans. While baking in the oven, the entire family commented how good they smelled. They were actually pretty good and got several positive comments at our party. One thing I would do different next time is to only cook the onions until just translucent....I think 7-8 minutes is too long

So, what did you think??
I cheated on the onions too, probably only cooked mine maybe 5 min and the garlic went in for the last minute of that. The rest of the recipe was followed and I liked it.

BTW a 6 pck of Fitz's Root Beer shipped to my door came to $37.98. $6.99 for the Root Beer & the rest was shipping.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I could not find a bottle of Root Beer anywhere much less artisanal Root Beer. I toyed with the idea of making my own but would have to order Root Beer flavoring and hope my first batch of Root Beer is a success. I just bit the bullet and ordered. I once got the craving for Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale and had a case shipped to me in Louisiana. I was sadly disappointed Buffalo Rock can only be bought in cans now. I also order Big Bob Gibson's BBQ sauce about twice a year by the mixed case.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.