Please Help Me!

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Im dying over here..... I havent had a good biscuit since my grandfather died in 1989. Someone please tell me how to make good buttermilk biscuits. Whats the trick? Ive tried different recipes and i still cant get them right..

Bayou is right, the key is to not overwork it. Never use an electric mixer, just fold the dough with a spoon. Invest in a good seasoned cast iron skillet.

When it comes to recipes for biscuits, remember that simple is better. Use a whole fat such as whole butter or even lard in the dough, and I prefer using Crisco in the pan instead of butter.

I don't know if its possible to make a good buttermilk biscuit in New York, but good luck :)

My mother's best friend, Corrine, made the lightest, fluffiest, biscuits in the south...or so many people though. Corrine died many years ago, but I got her recipe written on a scrap of paper in her own hand. Here it is..

2 cups self rising flour (Lily White)
6 Tbsp Crisco shortening
1 cup (approx) Buttermilk

• Mix flour and shortening with a pastry blender or fork until mixture is pea sized.
  • Add buttermilk and blend well (I add a little water until get the right consistency, not too thick nor too thin)
  • Pour out onto a floured waxed paper and knead and pat out to about half inch or less thickness.
  • Cut out with a round cookie cutter and place on a greased baking sheet.
  • Bake at about 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
As you can tell, much of her recipe is by eye..."blend until not too thick nor thin"....or "Bake for 10-15 minutes" ?????

Trial and error will eventually yield a fine batch of biscuits :wink:

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
Look up Deanna Andrews , she is a friend of mine, a cook, and will hook you up. Plus she's a Bama fan and not hard on the eyes.

Dont tell her I called her a cook, she'd whup up on me.She spent a lot of her mother's hard earned money going to culinary school up there and prefers the term "Chef".:)

Last edited:

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Now that you mention it do they even sell buttermilk in New York? ;)
Ha Ha.. Of course they do.. I use it in my cornbread. :) I live in upstate NY where there are more dairy cows than people. Self Rising flour on the other hand is extremely difficult to find. So is self rising cornmeal.. I have to buy that at the cracker barrel store.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Ha Ha.. Of course they do.. I use it in my cornbread. :) I live in upstate NY where there are more dairy cows than people. Self Rising flour on the other hand is extremely difficult to find. So is self rising cornmeal.. I have to buy that at the cracker barrel store.
Upstate NY is nothing like The City true. We have friends in Elmira, father in law lives on Long Island two different worlds.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
Sunday morning I decided to make biscuits and gravy. Got everything all mixed up, had my biscuits all nice and pretty in the pan... And my oven wouldnt turn on! I decided i wasnt gonna let these biscuits go to waste, so I cooked them on the grill.. They turned out pretty good. Didnt rise as much as i wanted them too, but not bad at all.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Sunday morning I decided to make biscuits and gravy. Got everything all mixed up, had my biscuits all nice and pretty in the pan... And my oven wouldnt turn on! I decided i wasnt gonna let these biscuits go to waste, so I cooked them on the grill.. They turned out pretty good. Didnt rise as much as i wanted them too, but not bad at all.
I have cooked cornbread and a cherry cobbler on my Big Green Egg which also makes great pizza and homemade bread.

bama_belle

1st Team
Oct 21, 2005
When I make biscuits I make sure my dough is sticky before I put it on flour covered waxed paper. I then sprinkle flour on top of the sticky dough and pat down dough to desired thickness. When you cut your biscuits the dough will stick to cutter so be sure to dip cutter in flour before each cut. Also with dough left over I sometimes make a galletta (?sp) (pronounced gaalet) by putting dough in well seasoned cast iron pan and frying on top of stove till golden brown. These have a different taste than biscuits, and are really delicious with fish and grits.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
When I make biscuits I make sure my dough is sticky before I put it on flour covered waxed paper. I then sprinkle flour on top of the sticky dough and pat down dough to desired thickness. When you cut your biscuits the dough will stick to cutter so be sure to dip cutter in flour before each cut. Also with dough left over I sometimes make a galletta (?sp) (pronounced gaalet) by putting dough in well seasoned cast iron pan and frying on top of stove till golden brown. These have a different taste than biscuits, and are really delicious with fish and grits.
Do you use butter or crisco? Ive been using cold butter chunks, but im thinking about trying Crisco.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.