Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliott

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
I got the first four books of this series through Amazon.com, all from secondary sellers, and paid no more than four bucks for any of them. I understand the final book is due out soon; at least in hardback.

BamaCLM introduced me to this author, Kate Elliott, and I have never been disappointed in any of her recommendations. In fact, I have read Elliott's JARAN series three times; the last time aloud to my wife!

I have barely scratched the suface of this series (I am on page 163 of the first book) but it already has me hooked. I'm not at all surprised, since I love the genre and I love the author.

Even this early into the books, Kate Elliott's patient writing style is very apparent. She never gets in a hurry. If you are looking for a quick fix, Elliott is not going to be your cup of tea. She goes into these tales with the entire story outlined in her head (and probably on paper and computer disc as well). She is very confident in her approach to the story line, and she doesn't gloss over any scenes that she thinks she can mine for gold; and she's a competent miner.

This tale is very conventional so far. Medieval setting. Orphaned boy, probably the offspring of a cross between an Elf and a a noble human; but raised in a rural village. Orphaned girl, daughter of a sorcerer. Gifted, but unaware of her latent power. They have yet to meet each other.

So, a fairly predicible plot. In truth, I don't really expect it to get much more creative. Elliott's gift is in the telling, not in the inventiveness of her plots. In that, she is much like Patrick O'Brian, whose twenty novels about the English Navy in the 1780s to early 1800s are formula plots, but exquisite in their execution.

Elliott writes as if she knows that you are enjoying being there, and are content to observe everything that is happening in her created world. In my case, she is exactly right. I find it very easy to just immerse myself in her world, and take things as they come, without any sense of rush. I KNOW there are four more books of at least six hundred pages ahead of me. I KNOW that the story will be long and involved; and if it is anything like the Jaran novels, I will be keeping fifty or sixty characters straight in my mind as I go along. I am as patient as she is...that's what I'm there for; to enjoy being in her world.

As far as I'm concerned, Kate Elliott's novels (and Patrick O'Brian's) are the very essence of what reading is all about. They take you away. While you are reading them, you are not really in this world at all, but you are spirited away to a very familiar other world. It is not an entirely predictible world: bad things happen there. But it very quickly becomes YOUR world. You feel comfortable there, and you hate to leave when duty calls you back to reality.

I hope, by reviewing these books as I read, I can entice a few of you to get them and read them. If you are a reader, I don't see how you could NOT love Kate Elliott!!!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Things are moving at their unhurried but interesting pace. I am now 290 pages into Kings Dragon, book one of the series.

Our female protagonist, Liath, has been taken into the King's service, thus rescuing her (at least for now, I suspect) from the abusive cleric who previously owned her as a slave. She has been involved in some bloody battles against a mongrel race of invaders, and is currently inside the city walls of Gent, under seige.

Alain, the male protagonist, is a man-at-arms in the service of a minor lord, and has been dragged into a rebellion against King Henry. Alain has no political agenda, and is struggling to conform to the dictates of his faith while engaged in dangerous and treasonous military engagements. He still has no clear idea of his birth origins, or of any special powers.

I am putting things in order for a trip to Delaware (I have been 'batching it' in Alabama while Barbara remains up there with the grandkids); so I have many tasks to perform that are keeping me from my escape reading. I will have many hours, though, on airplanes and in airports, before I reach Delaware on Thursday; so I will have an update by the weekend. Stay tuned...

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Much has happened, even as we proceed at the unhurried pace characteristic of Elliott's writing. I am now 400 pages into the second book, Prince of Dogs.

Liath has become much more aware of her latent powers, for now confined to an immunity from illusions and a gift for starting intense fires at will. She still has no clear idea how to control these forces; and she has not begun to see for herself a plan for their use beyond survival. She is still dogged by her former owner, now raised to an Abbotcy and in favor with King Henry through an illicit alliance with his daughter Sapienta. He is compulsively driven to own her again, and to bend her powers to his own will. His name is Hugh, BTW.

Alain has been acknowledged, through King Henry, as Count Lavastine's bastard son, and his heir. Although he had traveled with the rebellious army, he is still dedicated to doing what is right; and therefore a supporter of King Henry. He and his father are in the process of raising an army for the relief of Gent, in cooperation with Henry and his army, now being raised in another part of the empire.

Liath, in her capacity as an Eagle (King's Messenger) has brought the request for aid to the Count and his newly-acknowledged son; therefore Liath and Alain have finally met in the flesh. This has got to lead to a burgeoning relationship; or I badly miss my guess...

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
I have finished Book Two. The long battle described in its last chapters is one of the most satisfying and complete I have ever read. It reminds me of the Battle of the Pellenor Fields, on the plains below the city of Gondor. It is that descriptive, and as full of great deeds and bloody death as that great scene from LOTR.

Liath is in love; but with Sanglant, the bastard son of King Henry, not with Alain (even though she feels drawn to him, too). Alain is pledged to marry Tallia, a princess with powerful bloodlines. But Tallia is pledged to the church, and is rapturously driven by heretical beliefs about the origin of the domininant religion. Her vision closely parallels the Christ story, including the events of martyrdom and the idea of God's son giving his life to save other from sin.

As could be expected, it is a tangled web right now, and it is impossible to see far enough ahead to guess how Elliott will make all turn out as we expect; or if she will do so at all!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
I am grateful to Kate Elliott for getting her characters to tell us how to pronounce Sanglant's name (Sawn-Glawnt!!). I took ONE DAY of French, my first day of classes as a college freshman. When I left that class I walked IMMEDIATELY to the Admin building and dropped French. It was two more years before I got up the courage to begin my required two years of a foreign language (Spanish).

Our two main protagonists have married: not each other, though. Alain has married Tallia, but she won't consummate the marriage because she considers herself married to the church. Alain is having MAJOR sexual frustration.

Liath has married Sanglant, and incurred the disfavor of King Henry, who refuses to acknowledge or sanction the marriage and considers her Sanglant's concubine. Sanglant is ****ed.

Hugh is still menacing Liath (he wants her body BAD!!!) and is getting better at sorcery, making her life miserable and dangerous at times. He's a bad guy.

I can't say that I like this series as much as the JARAN novels; but I am enjoying it...

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
I am back in Alabama again, and have started back on the Elliott series. Meantime, I read The DaVinci Code. I only took the first three books with me to Delaware.

Carolyn, I assume that there will be a Book Six. I now have Book Five in hardback, but since it is entitled The Gathering Storm, there must be at least one more coming.
Have you gotten book five yet?

The story has not gotten any simpler. In fact, it has expanded and gotten even more complicated. Poor Alain has fallen through some kind of time warp associated with another of those rings of stones, and is being sized up for marriage to a Hallowed One, a female sorcerer or sachem. She looks like a much better deal for him than the iceberg Tallia, who never DID let him into her bed!!

Sanglant and Liath are still together, and she has learned a lot (but not everything) about her powers from (supposedly) her mother, who essentially held both of them captive. They have a child.

What are you reading, Carolyn??

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
Bob, I just finished "The Lovely Bones" and am almost ready to start Stephen King's new book "From a Buick 8". I got a great deal from my book club, books at half price and no shipping, and sort of went crazy and bought alot of books that I ordinarily would have purchased when they came out in paperback, if then. I also have been re-reading favorites from my "collection", everything from Harry Potter to the James Herriot books. I'm thinking of starting on Melanie Rawn's Dragon Stone books; there are about 8 in the series. By the way, if you want a different book, try "The Golden Key" by Melanie Rawn, Jennifer Roberson and (oh my!!
) Kate Elliott. Check it out on Amazon; they can tell you about it better than I can. It reads like a history (which it is in a way, only of another world culture) and history is recorded in paintings. Very original.

Bob, I have enjoyed your postings on this series. Bottom line, do you feel you spent your money well? I would have to invest in all of these books, as I don't have any of them. I would like your honest opinion re are they worth the monetary output. And in return I recommend Melanie Rawn.

Will George R R Martin EVER get that 4th book published? Arrrgh

Carolyn

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Wow, Carolyn, let me try to answer your main question first.

I bought the books mostly second hand (thru Amazon) so they didn't cost that much. I guess the five books cost me about $50.00.
I am now in the middle of Book Four, and the series has kept me interested enough that I look forward to reading, but not so engrossed that I put aside other activities to read. She has (as is her wont) introduced so many characters in so many different situations that I lose track, and have to read along for a while before I remember who the heck she is talking about. In the Jaran books, I found the story and the characters so compellingly interesting that I made extensive notes and genealogical charts. When I read it to Barbara, we constructed a huge chart on poster board to keep up with the family relationships.

In this series, I have not done that. Although I have made some notes recently, they are not nearly so extensive.

In all honesty, to answer your question as best I can, I would say this: I will not make room on my crowded bookshelves for these books when I finish them. I am enjoying them, but I have so many books that I now only keep those that I intend to read again.

Now, about James Herriot. We had his name in a crossword yesterday (isn't it strange how that stuff happens?) and I couldn't place him at all. What do you have of his? What does he write? Why don't I know about him?

I will definitely check out The Golden Key! My next book is Under the Banner of Heaven, about an extreme Mormon religious sect. After that I will check out TGK.

Football season has been such a letdown. I am an Oakland Raiders fan as well, and they are just about hopeless this year.

Also a Braves fan, then pulled for the Cubs, then pulled against the Yankees. Nothing is going right for me in sports this year. I can't wait for Basketball. I'm a big Duke fan.

Good to hear from you. Hope you and your family are well.

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
You heard of the poem:

All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all. ?

Each line of this poem represents a book by James Herriott, a Yorkshire vet, who shares his experiences of the humans and animals of the Yorkshire hills, covering the time span of the thirties and forties mainly. The books are filled with excentrics (man and beast) and are heartwarming and funny. Whenever I feel down or depressed, I turn to these books. They are truly outstanding. As to why you haven't read them......perhaps these books are considered too "feminine" by young macho males
They were first published in the late 60's, early 70's. Concepts have changed since then, and we all have gotten older and wiser (one hopes!) and I think these books would appeal to a wider audience now.

A short sample (oh, well, maybe it's not so short).

And sometimes it isn't easy to get a clear picture over the telephone...
"This is Bob Fryer"
"Good morning, Herriott here"
"Now then, one of me sow's is bad"
"Oh, right, what's the trouble?"
A throaty chuckle. "Ah, that's what ah want YOU to tell ME!"
"Oh, I see"
"Aye, ah wouldn't be ringin' you up if I knew what the trouble was, would I? Heh, heh, heh, heh!"
The fact that I had heard this joke about two thousand times interfered with my full participation in the merriment but I managed a cracked laugh in return.
"That's perfectly true, Mr. Fryer. Well, why have you rung me?"
"Damn, I've told ye---to find out what the trouble is."
"Yes, I understand that, but I'd like some details. What do you mean when you say she's bad?"
"Well, she's just a bit off it."
"Quite, but could you tell me a little more?"
A pause. "She's dowly, like."
"Anything else?"
"No...no...she's a right poorly pig though"
I spent a few moments in thought. "Is she doing anything funny?"
"Funny? Funny? Nay, there nowt funny about t'job, I'll tell tha! It's no laughing matter"
"well...er...let me put it this way. Why are you calling me out?"
"I'm callin' ye out because you're a vet. That's your job, isn't it?"
I tried again. "It would help if I knew what to bring with me. What are her symptoms?"
"Symptoms? Well, she just off colour, like"
"Yes, but what is she doing?"
"She's doin' nowt. That's what bothers me"
"Let's see." I scratched my head. "Is she very ill?"
"I reckon she's in bad fettle."
"But would you say it was an urgent matter?"
Another long pause. "Well she's nobut middlin". She's not framin' at all"
"Yes...yes...and how long has she been like this?"
"Oh for a bit"
"But how long exactly?"
"For a good bit."
"But Mr. Fryer, I want to know when she started these symptoms. How long has she been affected?"
"Oh...ever since we got 'er."
"Ah, and when was that?"
"Well, she came wi' the others...."

And here this chapter ends.

Sorry to go on so long with this, but I hope to entice you
. This is just the first vignette I came across when I opened the book for this post, not by any means the best. Maybe you have already read him?

I can relate and sympathize with your sports life. I am in the same boat. We're all in it together, eh?

I will try the first book in your series, Bob. Will visit Amazon when I'm through here. Maybe I can get enough books together to qualify for free shipping, my most frequent goal.

Happy reading and I hope your family, all of them, are doing well.

Carolyn

[This message has been edited by BamaCLM (edited 10-24-2003).]

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
I am a hundred pages or so into book five of the series. The final book, I have learned, will be called Crown of Stars. Who knows when she will finish that one!!!

Carolyn, Books Four and Five are better than two and three. They move a little faster, and the big picture is beginning to emerge more clearly, at last.

I feel very strongly that these books are both anti-war and anti-religious in their themes. I hope you will read right through them so we can discuss that idea.

I am in Delaware right now, and Book Four is in Foley; so I will have to wait until I get home to ship the last two books to you. I hope to finish Book Five this week; but I might not get home for two or three weeks. Hopefully, you won't be through with Book Three by then.

Keep an eye open for thematic statements. I think Elliot has a point to make. I will be interested to see if you agree.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
I finished up Book Five last night. It has a climactic conclusion, and does not leave as many loose strings as I expected; considering that the next book Crown of Stars, is slated as the final book.

I am still up here in the frozen north, and I left Book Four in Alabama, thinking I would be back there before I finished the series; so I won't be able to mail the last two books until after Thanksgiving, when we will be driving back down to L.A.

I think you will enjoy these books. I would not rate them as high as the Jaran novels, but they are definitely worth the time and effort. I looked forward to my rading time.

Hope you and your family are well and have a happy thanksgiving..

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
Just finished the second book, Prince of Dogs, which I enjoyed more than the first. But neither of them can hold a candle to the Jaran series, IMO.

I am about ready to strangle Liath...not that I presume to think I would react any better, or be stronger, in her situation, but I guess I have become used to more backbone in my heroines. At least that they grow!!! Look at Tess and how she progressed throughout the books. I can only keep my fingers crossed that Liath will discover her strengths and USE them to rid herself of Hugh (what a smarmy b**tard).

I don't mind admitting I am somewhat confused re: who is after Liath? who are the sorcerers Antonia linked up with? and is Wolfhere one of them? and who are the "elves"; for that matter, WHERE are they, another dimension??

Hopefully, all will be answered in future books. But so far this is Elliott's second best series.

By the way, don't forget to check into The Golden Key.

Happy Thanksgiving back at ya

Carolyn

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Shrewd guess about the elves. They are nothing like Tolkein's elves!!!

I can only surmise that Elliott knew that this series was going to be six looong books, and so decided to develop Liath's character at a pace to match the story's unfolding. Books Four and Five are better than Two and Three...so don't lose heart!

I'll check out The Golden Key as soon as I post this...

I hope to be home by December first, and I will get the last two in the mail as quick as I can.

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
You were right, Bob, the sage does get better book by book. Have now finished Book Three and will await the next two with anticipation. It will be like a Christmas present

Do all the characters continue to preach and quote scripture throughout all the books? I confess, I find myself skimming sometimes, and then have to go back and re-read to get the context of what they're talking about. Example: the tale of the Emperor's last wife (can't remember her name...Rata something), which turned out to be very significant!!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Carolyn, I think you are going to be surprised how significant the parallels are between the Blessed Diasan and Jesus.

I made some brief notes and underlines in the last two books. I am not really very well-schooled on the Bible; but the parallel between events in this religion and the First Council of Nicea simply cannot be accidental.

I regret not planning ahead enough to bring both books up here with me. My original plan was to be back in Alabama almost a week ago, so I didn't think it would be necessary.
Now I'm stressing because I'm making you wait!!!

I'm glad you are enjoying the books. I think you will like the next two even more. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the religios and anti-war aspects.

I ordered Golden Key, and had it shipped to Alabama. Should be there when I get home.

I wish you would go to the library and read the first O'Brian book. I don't know any women who have read that series; but there were a lot of women at the movie. I still maintain that those books are the best historical fiction available in the world today.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving, and RTR, Beat Auburn!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.