World of Warcraft

RollTideinGA

All-SEC
Jun 25, 2002
GA
Okay, who plays or has played?

I recently picked it up since I have some free time I can waste. Okay, first of all I can see how some get addicted to it. I am using a 2 month subscription card with no credit card attached. I cannot justify $15/mo to play.

Second it is fun. Although I get bored walking everywhere to just die, and then having to run for 5 minutes to find your body to come back. (yawn) They could have adopted the respawn like every other game.

If you havent played its worth a trial. Just get the basic game and get a 2 month game card. That way if you dont like it you didnt invest that much. Honestly it reminds me of D&D. Man I havent played that since like 1985. LOL!

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
The only way to be really powerful in mmorpg's is to play constantly. I like the concept but I don't want to dedicate my life to one game.

RollTideinGA

All-SEC
Jun 25, 2002
GA
@ Bamajeff- too funny. No mohawk grenades yet. Maybe I'll find some.

@bamapride- I agree, not my type of game either. I'm a sports or first person shooter gamer. I have come across some free time recently and have a buddy that plays so I thought I'd mess around some.

I wont get addicted like some, and I sure wont spend $15/mo to play once my 2 month card has expired. :eek2:

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Although I get bored walking everywhere to just die, and then having to run for 5 minutes to find your body to come back. (yawn) They could have adopted the respawn like every other game.
There's nothing wrong with the way death is handled in WoW. It sounds like you just die too much :p

RollTideinGA

All-SEC
Jun 25, 2002
GA
There's nothing wrong with the way death is handled in WoW. It sounds like you just die too much :p
Thats a possibility. lol

But still they could give you the option to resurect there and get a time penalty, or in the graveyard like they do and get the sickness.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I play WOW but prefer sports games, but my 360 kept breaking and I'm in no mood to get a new one (I had sent it in twice and i kept getting red rings w/in a few months). I am b/t a casual and hardcore player. The way I see it (since I don't have a console and NCAA/Madden aren't on the PC) I spend as much for WOW for the year as I would if I bought 2-3 console games that same year ($50 for NCAA is really expensive; plus whatever costs to play online with ppl). I too got sucked into the game by a friend; and it does get addicting if you let it.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I play WOW but prefer sports games, but my 360 kept breaking and I'm in no mood to get a new one (I had sent it in twice and i kept getting red rings w/in a few months). I am b/t a casual and hardcore player. The way I see it (since I don't have a console and NCAA/Madden aren't on the PC) I spend as much for WOW for the year as I would if I bought 2-3 console games that same year ($50 for NCAA is really expensive; plus whatever costs to play online with ppl). I too got sucked into the game by a friend; and it does get addicting if you let it.
Best Buy's service plan totally covered my Red-Ring-O-Death Xbox360 just months before expiring. I buy the plan for every major electronics purchase.

RollTideinGA

All-SEC
Jun 25, 2002
GA

I had the RROD once and it was covered under warranty. Luckily. But I dont agree with the console games vs pc games cost wise.

So WoW and the expansion pack is $39, and the other add on is $29. To play it it costs you $15/ month. Thats $248 for the first year investment. After that to just play would be $180/yr.

My Xbox was a gift so no initial investment. Whew! So I buy a game or two a year. $120, and to play on XBox Live is about $4.17/mo. So $170 for me to play on Live. If I buy no games (which has happened) then I pay just $50 for the year.

So yeah if your buying games for the console it comes out about the same. But if you say love the current Battlefield or COD or NCAA and have buddies to play with then the console is cheaper to play annualy.

With as many people playing Wow I wish they could cut their fee in half. Then maybe I could justify it.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
With as many people playing Wow I wish they could cut their fee in half. Then maybe I could justify it.
For me, WoW's cost per time spent rivals pretty much any entertainment out there. Playing the heck out of an XBox game would be cheaper, but it gets old to me. If you are really on a shoestring budget, you could play last year's sports game forever for no additional cost, but for me to really enjoy the XBox, I have to buy several new games every year, even when they have replayability.

Compared to cable TV or going out to dinner or movies, there is no comparison.

Last edited:

RollTideinGA

All-SEC
Jun 25, 2002
GA
For me, WoW's cost per time spent rivals pretty much any entertainment out there. Playing the heck out of an XBox game would be cheaper, but it gets old to me. If you are really on a shoestring budget, you could play last year's sports game forever for no additional cost, but for me to really enjoy the XBox, I have to buy several new games every year, even when they have replayability.

I usually play NCAA for a while before getting a new one. I just rename the current team to make it work. lol Oh and with Team Builder, the renovated stadium, and the #1 team in the land I may never buy another NCAA game. :)

I have to take the wife to dinner/ movie. I cant get away with sitting there on my laptop while she watches her tv shows. Or can I....

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Before my Xbox crapped out, that's what I did with games. I'd wait for the new versions to hit stores and buy the previous year's version; the price drop is sick. Wow has new content all the time (in patches i mean) that comes with the regular monthly costs, so it is much easier to stay interested in the game, whereas like you, those console games get boring after a while.

RollTideinGA

All-SEC
Jun 25, 2002
GA
Okay so you guys play WoW. Whats the best way for me to level up? I complete all the quests I can. My buddy told me to level a character to 10 and then the next to 10, then go back and level that one to 20, and so on. He rotates in 10's for his. He's got a few level 70 and 80's guys.

Right now I have 4 characters (I created 2 for my kids to mess around some), a lvl 10 human Warlock and a lvl 23 orc warrior.

My kids are using a lvl 10 Gnome Mage and a lvl 11 human paladin.

Also I have found people very nice in the game community. I needed a bag so I could carry more some more stuff found on quests. So I asked standing in the center of one of the big cities. And two people gave me bags and even a small amount of gold. They said that would help me out. And boy has it. Where do you get better weapons/ armor?

I want to take full advantage of the 3 months and then see where it goes. lol

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Okay so you guys play WoW. Whats the best way for me to level up? I complete all the quests I can. My buddy told me to level a character to 10 and then the next to 10, then go back and level that one to 20, and so on. He rotates in 10's for his. He's got a few level 70 and 80's guys.

Right now I have 4 characters (I created 2 for my kids to mess around some), a lvl 10 human Warlock and a lvl 23 orc warrior.

My kids are using a lvl 10 Gnome Mage and a lvl 11 human paladin.

Also I have found people very nice in the game community. I needed a bag so I could carry more some more stuff found on quests. So I asked standing in the center of one of the big cities. And two people gave me bags and even a small amount of gold. They said that would help me out. And boy has it. Where do you get better weapons/ armor?

I want to take full advantage of the 3 months and then see where it goes. lol
I wouldn't rotate b/t characters; I'd level one up to 20 and if you like it, keep going. Since it sounds like you're not looking long term, I'd recommend a pure dps class to start (hunter or warlock are easy leveling and fun in pvp). Getting to 20 will give u a feel for the class; I did that with a rogue and priest and hated it, so i never went back to either of those, but some ppl love them. I did that with a shaman and knew I wouldn't like lvling it by lvl 10-12. But then I loved some classes that are tough to lvl early in the game (paladin being the toughest to lvl at lower lvls unless you have good gear). You get better gear either questing or doing dungeons; but I think questing is a better way to get gear and gold for a first character.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Having played WoW since it was released, and having 2 level 80s, one of which is near the top of raid progression, my approach may be different than one that you would take, but I can offer a few tips to make your early life easier.

I have the luxury of being able to finance my new characters, but unless you have a sugar daddy, or are an accomplished beggar, you will be starting from scratch. If I were creating a new character on a mature server, as you most likely are, my first concern would be bag space. Not having adequate bag space is a real fun-killer. You'll either have to run to a vendor all the time, which gets old, or you will have to pass up some loot if you run out of space, and you probably can't afford it. There are a few ways to address this.

1) The hard way: play "normally" doing quests, exploring, etc. You will sometimes randomly find bags, and you will be able to use them. Randomly found bags will have larger capacities as you progress into more difficult sections of the game, but will become ever rarer.

2) The stupid way: Buy bags from NPC vendors. Total ripoff.

3) A better way: Take tailoring as one of your professions, and convert any cloth you find into tailored goods, including bags. You may want to consult some Internet resources to maximize tailoring efficiency.

4) The best way: Take a gathering profession, such as herbalism or mining, especially mining. Go on a gathering spree, and sell the raw components on the auction house at a reasonably low price. Collect the proceeds from a mailbox later on, possibly the next day. Buy better bags from the auction house.

As for gaining experience, quest your butt off. If you get bored with that, you can always queue up for a dungeon, and this will also allow you to complete dungeon quests. However, in a random group, you never know what you're going to get, and you may find that groups aren't patient with a new player, and may mock you. Try to have a thick skin, or go back to solo play while you learn more.

Above all, have fun. If one thing is getting boring, do something else.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I noticed after my last post that you had already been given bags by some generous soul. Nice.

Another experience tip:

If you have not noticed, if you log your character out in a capital city, or in an inn, your experience bar will turn blue, and you will get more XP per monster kill for a while corresponding to the time that you spent offline.

This "rested XP" is not shared among characters, so it is possible for multiple characters to accumulate rested XP simultaneously. For this reason, it is slightly more rewarding to play multiple characters. That is to say, you will get more XP for less effort if you do it this way, at least until you find a character that you want to really continue developing.

Also, when playing multiple characters, it will save you some time if you create another character of the same race as one you've already played, as you will already be familiar with the layout of the area, the quests, etc. But if you don't like it, by all means, try something new.

Also, at level 10, I would recommend spending any talents in ways that will increase your damage output. This means: warriors, focus on arms or fury tree, not protection; priests: shadow, not holy. This will speed up things greatly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.