New topic for shared reading!!!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
I know many of you enjoy biography. One of the most fascinating biographies I ever read was called Panther in the Sky, and it was the life story of the Shawnee chief, Tecumseh.

I know that there have been other biographies of this great and visionary leader, as well.

I am interested in reading more about him. Is anyone else willing to start reading and sharing?

------------------
ALABAMA : Tradition ; Class ; A name to respect in College Football

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Sign me up, Bob. Are you suggesting that we read that particular bio to start with, or any bio, and then go from there?

Let's see if we can get more folks interested. Since I have some Cherokee ancestry, apparently, that sounds great to me.

My great-great grandmother was born in Virginia. Her name was Sarah Wood Salmon Rogers, and on the back of a copy of her photograph, my aunt wrote "Cherokee wife of our great-grandfather William Rogers." I have found no official confirmation of that, but it is interesting.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Hi Caroline!

I haven't had time to look for other books. I stuck to my desk pretty much all day, working on my genealogy. I had no intention of spending eight hours writng, but I got involved and couldn't stop.

I highly recommend "Panther in the Sky" if you can find it. I looked for my copy, but did not come up with it...possibly gone.

Give me a day or so to research and I will come back with a plan of some kind. I wouldn't mind reading PitS again; but I bet there are others available.

Maybe BamaCLM would join us.

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
Just checked "Panther in the Sky" at Amazon, and they have about 160 used copies offered by the sellers there. Ordered one coming from Ohio, so I'll be ready to go in about 1-2 weeks.

Good idea Bob. Biographies can be fascinating, especially contrasting and comparing different authors on the same subject. This book, however, is listed as historical fiction. But the good ones usually are soundly based on historical fact; just look at Sharon Kay Penman.

Looking forward to a good discussion.

Carolyn

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
OK, I'll check with Amazon as well.

I may try the library to see what they have.

As a history major, former history teacher, and genealogical sleuth, this topic should be interesting.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

PellCityBAMA

Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I might join in as well. I've been intending to read a bio of Tecumesh, Geronimo, and (gone blank on name) for quite a while and haven't gotten around to it. This'll give me an excuse.

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
I have read some things about Tecumseh. The most recent of a biographical nature was God Gave Us This Country: Tekamthi and the First American Civil War by Bil Gilbert
Tekamthi of course is an alternate spelling for Tecumseh.

I have always enjoyed reading Indian histories, although I am by no means an expert. I noticed Pellcity mentioned Geronimo and I am guessing Sitting Bull. Chief Joseph is also an interesting Indian leader.

Back to Tecumseh. There is a character in the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card named Ta-cum-saw(sp) loosely based on Tecumseh. I enjoyed that series pretty well. It is not really historical, but written including various characters from history. Anyway I think this would be an interesting project.

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Hey, Stan...I had forgotten that! Card is one of my favorite authors.

I'm excited that so many are seeing this and responding. I will go on Amazon now and get PITS, and stop by the Library tomorrow and see what they have. I want another copy of PITS anyway.

LETS ROLL!!!

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
I am now pulling this from an aging brain, but don't I remember that Tecumsah had a brother called "The Prophet" who was very warlike, and who led the Indians in a revolt against the whites on the frontier, especially Ohio. He might have been at the Battle of Tippecanoe, but can't remember for sure. The Battle of Fallen Timbers?

Can't wait to get a book and begin.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
Tecumseh did have a brother known as the Prophet.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Tenskwatawa (1775-1836), also known as the "The Prophet," was a Shawnee religious leader and reviver of traditional ways. With his brother Tecumseh, he worked to create an Indian confederacy to resist American encroachment on Indian lands. </font>

And the link.
http://www.nativepubs.com/nativepubs/Apps/bios/0095Tenskwatawa.asp?pic=none

I am getting old and forgetful so I had to look it up. Thought it might be an interesting read for everyone.

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Here's what happened with my old brain: I read Tecumseh and thought Sequoia, who devised the Cherokee alphabet and put his people on the road to literacy.

Maybe we can read and discuss one, and then the other.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Think of it this way: two different approaches to dealing with the white man, same results in the end.

They had what the whites wanted, and they didn't have a chance.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

PellCityBAMA

Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
My library didn't have it, but I was able to order it on inter-library loan. I just finished Caine Mutiny and will also finish 'mere' Christianity by CS Lewis just in time to start Panther.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
PellCityBAMA here, I changed handles.

Nice choice of words. Is it, "We're rolling now," or "We're rollin' baby, we're rollin'?"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
I ordered from Amazon yesterday, and it was shipped today, so we're in business.

And, it's "We're rolling, baby, we're rolling."

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

BamaCLM

Scout Team
Jan 28, 2000
Selma,AL
My copy arrived yesterday. Boy is the print small!!

Not age related, no, not age related

Rolling along with you...heh, heh

Carolyn

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.