New topic for shared reading!!!

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
My copy came yesterday, and I have begun reading. One comment: second book we have read where the title alludes to "omens" in the sky, etc.

TSIS, if I remember correctly, refers to a certain kind of meteorological phenomenon where "two" suns (three?) are visible in the sky at the same time.

PITS refers to a meteor that flashed across the sky when Tecumseh was born and gave him his name.

Interesting.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
I started last night, although I didn't read too far. It looks like it will be a good read. I didn't think it read like a biography. Well it is a novel. I don't think that hurts it, although I did start it thinking it was a biography. It seems he intends to be historically accurate. I have enjoyed Jeff Shaara's novels of the American Revolution. I expect no different here. More later.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I'm still waiting on mine.

If any of you fantasy buffs gets a chance could you take a peek at my thread about the Narnia books by CS Lewis? I started a thread about a week ago on it.

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
dayhiker, I read the Narnia books so long ago that I don't think I could make any intelligent comments on them. I love C.S. Lewis. The movie of his life made me bawl like a baby.

He was, of course, Tolkien's great friend and compatriot. I don't think that without Tolkien, Lewis would have became the great Christian writer that he did.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Thanks for the reply. I think between the old handle and dayhiker I lead the league in started threads with zero responses. Just thought I'd prompt things along over here where the traffic is.

[This message has been edited by dayhiker (edited 02-20-2004).]

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Esverybody seems to be reading, but nobody seems to be discussing what they have read so far.

Let me suggest a companion piece for PITS:
The Light in the Forest by Conrad Richter. This little book, which is much shorter and easier to read, fits right into the subject we have chosen, and complements it nicely.

Our eighth-graders always read this, and always wanted to know, "Is this a true story?" Well, of course it isn't, but it could be. There are many well-documented stories of whites who were adopted by Indians and raised as Indians. We see this in PITS in the case of Blue Jacket, and some others.

I was interested in the story of Daniel Boone's having been captured by the Shawnees, and adapting their ways, and being accepted by them, before he finally used their trust against them and escaped.

What we see, of course, is that each side feels entitled to do whatever they have to do against the other, but then feeling betrayed and outraged when similar tactics are used against them. What an indictment of human nature!

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
Not so, dayhiker! I have Allan W. Eckert's A Sorrow in Our Heart, 814 pages of very small print, another 170 pages of amplification notes (even smaller print), plus a glossary and index.

I hope to keep this discussion going for six weeks or more.

I have been busy (writing) and have had some company, so I'm a little behind. I'm flying up to Delaware tomorrow, though, and flying always means reading to me, now that I'm retired and don't do the flying myself. So I hope to have a report for everybody Tuesday night or Wednesday.

Rather than confine the discussion to one LONG thread, I hope people will start several threads on different aspects of the books. Think about that, and I will, too. Maybe I'll have some ideas when I check in from Delaware.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
That's good to hear. I just finished 'Mere' Christianity by CS Lewis and am going to go ahead and start, "Pass the Butterworms, Remote Journeys Oddly Rendered" by Tim Cahill. Cahill is an outdoor writer. I'm an avid hiker/backpacker and his writings are sort of like Lewis Grizzard for outdoorsy folk. It's the type of book I'll be able to put down when Panther comes in and then pick right back up when Panther if finished.

I never got to participate in the LOTR discussion when this board first started, but it did prompt me to read the book. Talk about a great book for folks who like overland adventures!

[This message has been edited by dayhiker (edited 02-23-2004).]

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
My copy just showed up. Wow, 650 pages. I hope they'll let me renew it through interlibrary loan. I'm looking forward to this one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.