davinci (sp) code

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NYBamaFan:
Very good writing - but very light. Brown is no Tolkien...</font>
I thought the plot was good, but the writing rather weak. I guess it's because I've got some background in symbology, but the main character never really displayed much in the way of field-specific knowledge. It would have been intereting to see that character trying to work out how a symbol meant something.

Read Eco's The Name of the Rose for a better idea of what I mean.

redbaysartin

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 17, 1999
Red Bay, AL, USA
I really don't know of any other books to point anyone too - but I'm interesting enough that I would follow someone elses lead in this.

By the way NY - you make a valid point, one which many in "the church" can't see for lack of trying to do so (imo).

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
I really don't know where to start in the way of research, except perhaps a history of the Knights Templar, or a biography of Mary Magdalene, if one exists.

Maybe someone else can offer some ideas.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Here is part of an article entitled "Spiritual Novels" by Richard N. Ostling for the Associated Press, which appeared in today's (April 17, 2004) Birmingham Post Herald. (The rest of the article deals with the "Left Behind" series and is not quoted here.)

"Dan Brown's 'Da Vinci Code' is a thriller whose characters malign traditional Christianity as fraudulent. But both liberal and conservative writers say it's rife with errors.

"Among inaccuracies they list: the characters' claims that belief in Jesus' divinity appeared in the fourth century rather than in the first century; that the four New Testament Gospels became authoratative in the fourth century rather than in the second century; and that the Dead Sea Scrolls and Gnostic writings (deemed heretical by the church) contain the earliest christian records-though one Gnostic text does have some scholarly promoters.

" 'Da Vinci' also supposess that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and sired a royal Judeo-French bloodline that still exists- and that sinister Christians suppressed information about this. The scenario comes from a 1982 book titled 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail,' which a New York Times reviewer called 'rank nonsense.'

"At first, 'Da Vinci' drew little religious opposition because people 'didn't subject it to the same kind of scrutiny they would a nonfiction book,' Garett says. But when Brown told NBC that 'absolutely all of it' is true, the Rev. Darrell Bock of Dallas Theological Seinary decided the novelist wasn't just having fun but was undermining Christianity.

"Bock wrote the first of several Protestant attack books, 'Breaking the Da Vinci Code.'

"Roman Catholics will soon pile on with 'The Da Vinci Hoax.' In the foreward, Chicago's Cardinal Francis George says Brown's history is 'preposterous' but must be countered because it misleads credulous readers. Brown is declining interviews."

There are several books listed in the article that some (including me) might want to read.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

LTBF

1st Team
Oct 13, 1999
B'ham,
Last night, on the History Channel, there was a program on the Knights Templars. I missed the first half of it, but what I did see was very interesting.

I may try to order it on video-tape, so I can see the entire thing. One of the persons quoted was the guy who wrote "Holy Blood, Holy Grail," (see post just before this one.)

The program suggested several books about the Knights Templars that might be interesting. I jotted down some of the names. I'll let you know if I can find them.

ROLL TIDE FOREVER!

Ramah Jamah

1st Team
Sep 17, 2002
Mobile, AL
I read Davinci and Angels & Demons and loved them both. As a Catholic I was not offended by anything in the books, I know that the Church has not exactly been right in everything that it has done. I did notice a couple of things in Davinci that just flat out are not true, but this did not take away from the book itself.

Tide_fan_in_Va

Oct 8, 2002
Virginia
I also enjoyed TDVC. Pretty much everyone I know enjoyed it as well. It was an easy read and for not being a "serious" work it made one think.

Shortly after I finished it was on vaction in London. In Heathrow airport before my return flight I purchased up a book called "The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail". When I purchased it I hadn't really seen it anywhere here in the States but since TDVC has become such a hit I have seen it all over (Costco, B&N, etc.)

I have seen it referenced a couple of times in this thread, and I would have to say I find it to be a fascinating read. It gives quite a good history of the Knights Templars, and the Priory of Scion. If you want to learn in much greater detail the story that is referenced in TDVC I highly recommend THB&THG. One nice thing about the book is whether you hate what the conclusions the authors reach or find them interesting, as I did, they explain the research they did as opposed to just making a statement withouth being able to back it up as many conspiracy proponents are apt to do.

WateryGrave

Oct 14, 2003
Madison, AL USA
Three

BamaFlum said:
Beware of wolves in sheep clothing. This book is being billed as fiction interlaced with truth. It is completely fiction. Without evidence (real evidence) to back up not only his claims, but those that preceded him, this is just another attack on basic Christianity.

A better book to read (suspense, thrilling) is Three by Ted Dekker.
I read Dekker's book recently. I thought it was very good, very suspenseful.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.