Seriously EA Sports....enough is enough

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Newsflash, our QB's name is "Mack-il-roy", not "Mick-Ell-roy". He's only been there since 2006. I like the game, but seriously, what is Tim Tebow even doing in this game?

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Newsflash, our QB's name is "Mack-il-roy", not "Mick-Ell-roy". He's only been there since 2006. I like the game, but seriously, what is Tim Tebow even doing in this game?
Three things...

1. Tebow isn't even in the game. He's on the cover and on the splash screen, the same as the past several years have featured just-graduated players on the cover and splash screen.

2. The actual EA Sports game doesn't include names, only positions and numbers. You have to download a roster file from a non-EA source to get the names.

3. The voice you hear is a phonetic announcement of the name based on spelling. If you want it to be correct on the voice, change the spelling in the roster. Of course, then the spelling would be incorrect.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
The voice you hear is a phonetic announcement of the name based on spelling. If you want it to be correct on the voice, change the spelling in the roster. Of course, then the spelling would be incorrect.
I don't think those pronunciations are computer generated. They sound too real. I think way back when they started recording voices for this game, they had Brad Nessler and the PA guy say a bunch of last names and they have been reusing them ever since.

If the name is unusual, they won't try to pronounce it, but they will say the player's number.

Notice that Herbstreit doesn't say names, he says "this receiver" etc.

RollTideinGA

All-SEC
Jun 25, 2002
GA
Nessler is given a list of names and sits ina studio reading them all one by one.

Jones
Smith
Harris
Ingram
Tebow
etc
etc
etc

They make sure he gets super star player names right. Tebow, Ingram
But before last season no one outside of Bama fans and his Texas hometown knew who McElroy was. Im sure the recording for his name is the same one from last year. I bet EA didnt want to pay Nessler additional to re-record a few names.

As for Tebow. Geez he's the premier athelete that left the NCAA last year. They cant use current players and they never have. I have bought every NCAA EA game since Bill Walsh College Football in '93. Typically its the Heisman winner if he graduated. Since Ingram didnt, then the next choice was Tebow or McCoy. The only time they shafted the Heisman winner was selecting Shawn Alexander over Ron Dayne for the cover the year they both went pro.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
As for Tebow. Geez he's the premier athelete that left the NCAA last year. They cant use current players and they never have. I have bought every NCAA EA game since Bill Walsh College Football in '93. Typically its the Heisman winner if he graduated. Since Ingram didnt, then the next choice was Tebow or McCoy. The only time they shafted the Heisman winner was selecting Shawn Alexander over Ron Dayne for the cover the year they both went pro.
They do put a lot of Heisman winners on the game, but there are more exceptions than Alexander.

97 - Tommie Frazier (non-Heisman)
98 - Danny Wuerffal (Heisman)
99 - Charles Woodson (Heisman)
00 - Ricky Williams (Heisman)
01 - Shaun Alexander (non-Heisman)
02 - Chris Weinke (Heisman)
03 - Joey Harrington (non-Heisman)
04 - Carson Palmer (Heisman)
05 - Larry Fitzgerald (non-Heisman)
06 - Desmond Howard (Heisman from a while back)
07 - Reggie Bush (Heisman)
08 - Jared Zabransky (non-Heisman)

The last 3 Heisman winners for 09, 10, and 11 games have been underclassmen who stayed in school. Tim Tebow (2007) and Sam Bradford (2008) could not be on the covers of 09 and 10 games. They could have been on the 11 game, and in fact, Tebow is.

The games for 09 and 10 had different guys on each platform, none of them Heisman winners:

2009:
Xbox 360 — Darren McFadden
PlayStation 3 — Matt Ryan
PlayStation 2 — DeSean Jackson
PSP — Owen Schmitt
Wii — Sparty

2010:
Xbox 360 — Michael Crabtree
PlayStation 3 — Brian Johnson
PlayStation 2 — Brian Orakpo
PSP — Mark Sanchez

RollTideinGA

All-SEC
Jun 25, 2002
GA
They do put a lot of Heisman winners on the game, but there are more exceptions than Alexander.

97 - Tommie Frazier (non-Heisman)
98 - Danny Wuerffal (Heisman)
99 - Charles Woodson (Heisman)
00 - Ricky Williams (Heisman)
01 - Shaun Alexander (non-Heisman)
02 - Chris Weinke (Heisman)
03 - Joey Harrington (non-Heisman)
04 - Carson Palmer (Heisman)
05 - Larry Fitzgerald (non-Heisman)
06 - Desmond Howard (Heisman from a while back)
07 - Reggie Bush (Heisman)
08 - Jared Zabransky (non-Heisman)

The last 3 Heisman winners for 09, 10, and 11 games have been underclassmen who stayed in school. Tim Tebow (2007) and Sam Bradford (2008) could not be on the covers of 09 and 10 games. They could have been on the 11 game, and in fact, Tebow is.

The games for 09 and 10 had different guys on each platform, none of them Heisman winners:

2009:
Xbox 360 — Darren McFadden
PlayStation 3 — Matt Ryan
PlayStation 2 — DeSean Jackson
PSP — Owen Schmitt
Wii — Sparty

2010:
Xbox 360 — Michael Crabtree
PlayStation 3 — Brian Johnson
PlayStation 2 — Brian Orakpo
PSP — Mark Sanchez
Well I messed that one up. lol See the memory isnt as good as it once was. Now I remember Harrington being on it. man some of those bring back some memories. The '98 game was the first for the current franchise we know as NCAA Football.

The previous ones from '93, '94, '95, and '96 were known as Bill Walsh College Football and then College Football USA.

afadam07

1st Team
Aug 21, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
3. The voice you hear is a phonetic announcement of the name based on spelling. If you want it to be correct on the voice, change the spelling in the roster. Of course, then the spelling would be incorrect.[/QUOTE

they actually record those names. it was either '10 or '09 where EA sports had a website you could go to where you could type your name and how it was pronounced so they could record it and the announcers would pronounce it right in road to glory and your dynasty.

RollTideinGA

All-SEC
Jun 25, 2002
GA
3. The voice you hear is a phonetic announcement of the name based on spelling. If you want it to be correct on the voice, change the spelling in the roster. Of course, then the spelling would be incorrect.[/QUOTE

they actually record those names. it was either '10 or '09 where EA sports had a website you could go to where you could type your name and how it was pronounced so they could record it and the announcers would pronounce it right in road to glory and your dynasty.

They only selected a certain # of those names entered if I remember correctly. Just because the announcer read it off a list does not mean it is correct.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I saw the tv add for the game the first time last nite.

1. Starts with Tbow in the swamp
2. Goes to Mccoy at texas
3. Bradford at OU
4. Heisman trophy winner from USC - played for the raiders
5. Then to Stanfords winner of the Heisman - I refuse to recall his name LOL mental block. And i wont spend time on him looking it up.
6 The the desmond howard doing a heisman pose,
7 It fades to a colllage of clips from several schools as the commerical ends.
8.The only way you see BAMA is to DVR it and play the last 5 seconds frame/frame and we have 2 screen shots at the NC game.

Not passing judgement on them but if I am EA Director of Marketing, I would be asking where the other copies are.

Watch it once and youll never see BAMA mentioned.

BEATtutorsee

Hall of Fame
Mar 14, 2006
I saw the tv add for the game the first time last nite.

1. Starts with Tbow in the swamp
2. Goes to Mccoy at texas
3. Bradford at OU
4. Heisman trophy winner from USC - played for the raiders
5. Then to Stanfords winner of the Heisman - I refuse to recall his name LOL mental block. And i wont spend time on him looking it up.
6 The the desmond howard doing a heisman pose,
7 It fades to a colllage of clips from several schools as the commerical ends.
8.The only way you see BAMA is to DVR it and play the last 5 seconds frame/frame and we have 2 screen shots at the NC game.

Not passing judgement on them but if I am EA Director of Marketing, I would be asking where the other copies are.

Watch it once and youll never see BAMA mentioned.
There's a version that has a girl doing Rammer Jammer, I've seen it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.