sorry....grilling advice needed in the next hour!

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Shamefully, at 37 years old, I've never done ribs on the grill and I am tonight. I keep seeing 'indirect heat' on my gas grill. So......I have a four burner grill that has two racks. For 'indirect heat' do I use all four burners and cook the ribs on the top rack, or do I turn on only the two burners on the end and cook the ribs on the lower rack right smack in the middle of the grill, in between the two end burners?

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
unless they are close to the flame, it really shouldn't matter too much. Just keep the top closed to keep the heat in.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Ribs take 4-5 hrs on my smoker. You may want to look into baking them under foil to get them mostly done then finishing them on gas.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
top rack or bottom rack, though? I NEVER cook anything on the bottom rack, but maybe I'm supposed to with the ribs.

Bottom rack is fine. Just keep them on the opposite side of the grill from the lit burner as mentioned above. I usually spray mine with a spray bottle every 20 minutes or so to keep them moist. You can just use beer if you want.

I keep my gas grill ~ 275-300 degrees. If you are making baby backs the trick to telling when they are done is look at the tip of the bones. The meat will shrink back about 1/2" when they are done. Don't sauce them to near the end.

Total cook time for baby back as done above is about 1.5 hours on my gas grill.

Hamilton

Suspended
Dec 5, 2002
Hamilton
bama.ua.edu
2 hours and 15 minutes at 250 degrees grill temp. I would give you my dry rub and sauce recipe...but you've already started by now (and could very well be finished).

I'll be honest, though--the best way to do it is to go 2 hours in the oven at 250 and finish them on the grill for about 15 minutes to get the grilled flavor. You can seal them in a baking pan with red wine and water, and they'll be the most delicious ribs you've ever had.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
2 hours and 15 minutes at 250 degrees grill temp. I would give you my dry rub and sauce recipe...but you've already started by now (and could very well be finished).

I'll be honest, though--the best way to do it is to go 2 hours in the oven at 250 and finish them on the grill for about 15 minutes to get the grilled flavor. You can seal them in a baking pan with red wine and water, and they'll be the most delicious ribs you've ever had.
That is my method with the exception of the liquid, I use apple juice.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I think this is a good thread to recommend [ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Grill-Complete-Illustrated-Techniques/dp/0761120149/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279289719&sr=8-1"]This[/ame]

If you've ever said "man I like that but don't know how to grill it" this is your book. Everything ribs to pizza, lobsters to veggies. Its got some good basic marinades, rubs, and sauces. It's got one recipe for just about everything. I could grill stuff before I got it, but it definitely has helped make stuff tastier.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.