What are you reading right now (II)?

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Back Story by Robert B. Parker

I started with his Jesse Stone series. Then read all of the Sunny Randall series. Now I'm plowing through the Spenser books. I'm skipping around on them but have read most of the later books in the series, except for the most recent, Rough Weather.

BTW, is it okay to put in a shameless plug here for my own novel, Consequences?

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Gods & Generals, by Jeff Shaara. (re-read for me) The 1st in the Civil War trilogy. His Dad Michael wrote Killer Angels 1st. After Michael's passing, Jeff took up the genre. I re-read all 3 every couple of years.
I liked those as well. The third book is The Last Full Measure and carries the story through the end of the war.

Here is my reading list from January:
The Shack - William Paul Young
The Looking Glass War - John Le Carré
Code to Zero - Ken Follett
Freaky Deaky - Elmore Leonard
1 Dead in Attic - Chris Rose
A Small Town in Germany - John Le Carré
Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom
Just After Sunset: Stories - Stephen King
The Book of Lies - Brad Meltzer
How Good Do You Want To Be? - Nick Saban

I've read several good books because of this thread, keep the suggestions coming.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
edwd58, I see you list Freaky Deaky by Elmore Leonard. Are you an EL fan? I think he's terrific and have read most of his books. If you haven't read Killshot then I highly recommend it. It's probably my favorite.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
mlh, yes I'm a fan of EL. I've read 12 of his books thus far. I picked up Killshot at the library tonight. Maximum Bob is one of my favorites.

How would one find your book? Looking for Consequences on Amazon returned a couple thousand hits.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
My Dearest Friend : The Letters of Abigail and John Adams - edited by Margaret Hogan. A very good book that I picked up after watching the HBO series on John Adams.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
The Broken Window by Jeffery Deaver
Killshot by Elmore Leonard

In case there are any Dennis Lehane fans browsing the thread, I read The Given Day a couple of months ago and enjoyed it. It is a historical fiction type novel, in the vein of a John Jakes book. A very interesting read, set in the time of the end of WWI, regarding the strike by the Boston Police Department with a little mix of baseball history throw in for good measure.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Walking Shadow by Robert B. Parker. His next novel in the Jesse Stone series, Night and Day, comes out tomorrow. Woo hoo!!

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
I just finished Lion in the White House A Life of Theodore Roosevelt by Aida Donald. It is a decent if you want a short bio on Teddy. I would suggest that Theodore Rex is probably a better bio on Roosevelt. I think it was by Edmund Morris, but it has been quite a while and I may be wrong about the author. I am starting Samuel Adams A Life by Ira Stoll. Biographies on Samuel Adams are not very common and I am hoping this proves to be a good read.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Since last posting:

Wild Justice - Phillip Margolin
Your Heart Belongs to Me - Dean Koontz (not one of his better efforts)
Heat Lightning - John Sandford (a Virgil Flowers story)
A Most Wanted Man - John Le Carre'

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
The Road - Cormac McCarthy. Either you love it or you hate it. A very dark book to say the least. I can't wait to see the movie which was supposed to be released Nov '08 but got pushed back until sometime in '09.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.