What are you reading right now (II)?

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
I'm starting "The Bourne Identity" tonight. I watched the first two movies in the series over the weekend and enjoyed them.
Oh the books are much better than the movies. Ludlum is really good. You should check out some of his other stuff if you like his style.

NatchezTider

All-SEC
Jan 13, 2000
Natchez, Ms. USA
"Masters of the Big House" by Prof. William K. Scarborough from Southern Miss.
It's about the planters in every southern state that owned more than 250 slaves.
pretty fascinating!

bobstod

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Magnolia Springs, AL. USA
How is The Life of Pi? I have heard it mentioned a few times, in connection with DaVinci Code. Would you consider making a separate post about it? I'm pretty sure I want to read it.

I have just finished The Fighting First, a book about the First Infantry Division in WWII. I am in the process of reading a number of WWII books, mainly about Normandy; but interspersing them with escape fiction.

Presently I'm in The Key to Rebecca, which is a Ken Follett book. He writes good books.

I picked up a Thomas Costain in a used bookstore the other day, entitled The Three Edwards. I remembered Costain as a writer of historical fiction, but this book is part of a four-book historical series on English Monarchs; and I have a weakness for English history! I also like history written in the style of a novel, like the Sharon Kaye Penman books. Some regulars on here may recognize me by now under my new user name, by my writing style and by my revealed reading tastes! I hope to visit more regularly over the next few months.

I haven't started the Costain book. I'm considering going on Amazon and ordering the whole series. Has anyone read any of the books? The other three are The Conquering Family, The Magnificant Century, and The Last Plantagenets.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I'm only about 50 pages into the Life of Pi. I'll post as I know more. The opening premise is that it's a tale that will make you believe in God. It's a novel written as a true story told to the author. It's about a guy named Piscine (Pi) who lives in India. He winds up stranded at sea on a lifeboat with a Tiger.

I think I've read the Follet book you mentioned. I've read several of his books and can't quite recall if I read that one or not. I really enjoy his WWII spy books.

A while back I finished "The Bourne Identity." It was a really enjoyable book and totally different from the movie. Heck, the main premise of the book wasn't even mentioned in the movie

bamatude

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 18, 2004
Band Of Brothers.
I loved the Screw Tape Letters.
C. S. Lewis is GOOD.

Last edited:

Anthony_S

Dec 14, 2004
A book I got for Christmas called JOHN 1:12. It's more or less a journal about bizarre and supernatural events that happened in Dallas Texas. It's mind boggling, truly a great read!

Nicodemus

3rd Team
Dec 26, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I just finished Rammer Jammer.... by Warren St. John and loved it.

I'm currently reading, Diplomacy and Murder in Tehran about how Russia's entire embassy was killed by a mob in Tehran in 1829.

Nicodemus

3rd Team
Dec 26, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Nate Harris said:
The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. It's a pretty good book, and Greene was obviously very gifted, but it hasn't quite grabbed me like I hoped it would given how much it was hyped way back in the day.
I enjoyed that one, but I liked his The Quiet American a lot more.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Just finished reading "The Scottish Ploy" by Quinn Fawcett.

It is a Mycroft Holmes novel (Sherlock's brother). I really enjoy the storytelling in these books and the breathless sense of adventure. I'm a sucker for period books/movies/plays and this one (and the other Mycroft Holmes novels) take me back to a post-Victorian London and around a lot of the places we frequented when we lived there.

I"m working on Ron Chernow's "Alexander Hamilton" now. Hope to have it finished this week.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
"Insomnia" by Stephen King.

Finished the 7th book of "The Dark Tower" series a few weeks ago.
Yes, I'm a King junkie. :biggrin2:

Next on the list: "A Salty Piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffett.

Nicodemus

3rd Team
Dec 26, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have a bad habit of reading mulitple books. I really wish I could finish one before starting another. My whole family is like that. Anyway, I'm currently reading these two:

and

bamatude

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 18, 2004
Blood Red Snow

By a German foot soldier on the eastern front during WWII. Good read.

wisten

Hall of Fame
Apr 30, 2003
Gulf Shores, AL, USA
I am still working my way through the Orson Scott Card line, Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Shadow of Ender.

I did read The Last Juror by John Grisham. It was fair.

CrimsonNan

BamaNation Hall of Fame
Oct 19, 2003
Vestavia Hills, Alabama, USA
Wayyyy back I used to read biographies and/or biographical novels, but I can't read the "heavy" stuff anymore. I've read a lot of Grisham's books, but not lately. I need to catch up on him. And I used to like Sidney Sheldon, but I got tired of his style.

My favorite author at the present time is Mary Higgins Clark. She writes mysteries. Not too heavy but more "meat" in them than some lady authors.

I ordered her last one from Amazon last week for a dollar, plus $3.49 S&H. I'm reading it now. Title is..."Nighttime is my Time". It's a murder mystery. So far - good! :biggrin:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.