What are you reading right now (II)?

gatoref

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 27, 2006
Jackson, Ms
I picked up Where Football is King: A History of the SEC this weekend.

It's not a great read, but it's full of information...it's almost more of a reference guide.

The most interesting part of the book so far as been the reproduction of the "convidential" letters that fulmer sent to Roy Kramer about Logan Young.
Man fulmer's a snake.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
"The World Is Flat" by Thomas Friedman. Almost halfway through it.

It looks at broadband internet, outsourcing, the rise of China and India, among main topics. Can't agree with all his conclusions, but it IS interesting and has more than one or two bits of insight.

Has anyone read his "The Lexus and The Olive Tree?"

Boclive

All-American
Sep 6, 2002

Esteemed historian David McCullough covers the military side of the momentous year of 1776 with characteristic insight and a gripping narrative, adding new scholarship and a fresh perspective to the beginning of the American Revolution.

Last edited:

Roll2vic

Scout Team
Oct 25, 2006
The Missing Ring. I am enjoying it immensely. Now that's what a coach is supposed to be!

It is so interesting to see the variety. I read the The Conquering Family and The Last Plantagenets years ago. Didn't know about the The Three Edwards. Thanks.

Congratulations to those of you reading the C.S. Lewis stuff. The Space Trilogy is so overlooked. It's great.

I'll be looking for Orthodox Apologetic Theology.

Great thread!!!

zzaz

Aug 29, 2006
New Orleans, La
I just finished Peter Mayle's A Good Year and I just started Thomas Pynchon's new book Against the Day. It is going to take me a longtime to finish it.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
Right now I am reading Flags of our Fathers, and The Wal-Mart Effect.

I just finished Running with Scissors and the follow-up book to that, Dry
I'm reading Flags of our Fathers as well. It's gold. I just finished For Whom the Bell Tolls which was outstanding as well. I've got to read more Hemingway. Next up is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, for the fourth time. I have to read it every few years just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

ncbama

Suspended
Jun 1, 2003
Albemarle NC
Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier. I grew up in the mountains of NC and was looking forward to a great book on the "Trail of Tears" incident in US history. Although the language used by Frazier was fascinating, his treatment of the "Trail of Tears" was sophomoric.

bamanick57

1st Team
Jun 22, 2006
I agree that "Flags of our Fathers" is gold. It was a really interesting book.

I just finished reading "Next' by Michael Crichton - he sure writes books that are "controversial". If anyone else has read it I would be interested in there opinion of this one!!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'm reading Wallace Wade by Lewis Bowling (It was advertised on the Amazon link here at TF so I decided to give it a try). Just started and it is very interesting. He's the man that "started" the tradition at Alabama!

I finished the "Last Coach" and it was one of the best books that I have read about Coach Bryant.

northalaBAMA

Jan 12, 2007
athens, AL
Just finished gods in alabama--pretty good, not too heavy. Also just finished The Sunday Wife Cassandra King. Heavy, much like her husband Pat Conroy. There is just something about those deep-rooted southern tragedies that get me. But now my free reading is over. Taking an English novels class in grad school and I have to read Jane Austen:eek2:
If anyone has a hint on how to better enjoy English novels send them my way!

RTR

AquaBear

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 9, 2006
Kansas City
I agree that "Flags of our Fathers" is gold. It was a really interesting book.

I just finished reading "Next' by Michael Crichton - he sure writes books that are "controversial". If anyone else has read it I would be interested in there opinion of this one!!
Bamanick57...what was your opinion of "Next"? I've read every other Crichton book, but the books keep getting more and more political. By all accounts I've heard this one he really gets on his political soap-box, so I haven't gone out to get it yet, but I'm sure I'll cave in and eventually get it.

The day they hired CNS I got a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble from a student of mine and so I went out and got CNS's book "How Good Do You Want To Be?". I'm not sure when the book was written and published in terms of the timeline when he left LSU for the Dolphins (it does talk quite a bit about their national championship), but the inside of the cover jacket is quoted as saying "...He's turned down countless offers from professional teams to stay with the job he loves...". Ironic....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.