What are you reading right now (II)?

bamanick57

1st Team
Jun 22, 2006
It makes quite a political statement but really I couldn't say it makes any more of one or is any more controversial than most of the rest of his books. I enjoyed it, and it prompted me to read some stuff on genetics that I might not have otherwise.

bamaeleven

Scout Team
Jan 9, 2007
the U of A
"Angels and Demons" for my Dual Enrollment English class, and Helter Skelter for my Forensics class. I just finished Animal Farm over the weakend.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
The Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy by Daniel Yergin. The book covers the last hundred years or so and traces the conflict between government forces and market forces over control of the economy.

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama
I've got 2 right now....Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn and Alexandria Link by Steve Berry.....I got introduced to Nelson Demille this summer and loved him...favorite by far was The Charm School

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
The Commanding Heights: The Battle for the World Economy by Daniel Yergin. The book covers the last hundred years or so and traces the conflict between government forces and market forces over control of the economy.
Maybe you would appreciate/enjoy The Prize by Yergin. It is a history of the oil business up to the early 90's. There are, of course, healthy doses of market vs. government in THAT subject. ;)

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Maybe you would appreciate/enjoy The Prize by Yergin. It is a history of the oil business up to the early 90's. There are, of course, healthy doses of market vs. government in THAT subject. ;)

I read that a couple of years ago. It is perhaps the best history book I've ever read -- an absolutely fascinating read. I have several classmates from business school who said that Yergin's book inspired them to work in the energy industry.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
Yeah, I noticed that a while back and meant to mention it to you. I haven't read enough of his stuff. This one and Age and Guile Beat Youth, Innocence, and a Bad Haircut are the only books of his that I've read. This will change over the coming months.

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I guess this will be my first post on Tidefans. I just finished Stephen King's "The Gunslinger Series". I went back and re-read the first 3 books to refresh my memory then straight thru to book 7.

Last night I started "The Last Coach".

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
NYBF, I have noticed that you seem to be a sci-fi buff. Although I am kinda picky about sci-fi, I am an avid fan of some of the better writers. In the old days Heinlein led the way for me and I liked Asimov real well. Today, I have found I like Orson Scott Card really well. I have read both his Ender series and Alvin Maker series and enjoyed them both very well.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
NYBF, I have noticed that you seem to be a sci-fi buff. Although I am kinda picky about sci-fi, I am an avid fan of some of the better writers. In the old days Heinlein led the way for me and I liked Asimov real well. Today, I have found I like Orson Scott Card really well. I have read both his Ender series and Alvin Maker series and enjoyed them both very well.
I am an avid reader, and will read any book that is well written, but my favorite genera is sci-fi/fantasy. Asimov and Tolkein were the best of each, respectively. They created new universes. Thousands upon thousands of other books have been written based upon the universes that they created.

If you haven't given Frank Herbert a try, you should...

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
I have read Tolkien. I started a thread about the trilogy several years ago that eventually lead to the creation of the Bookends forum. That probably sounds wrong, but it did happen. I absolutely love those books. Many years ago I did read Dune, but I never read any of the later books.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
I have read Tolkien. I started a thread about the trilogy several years ago that eventually lead to the creation of the Bookends forum. That probably sounds wrong, but it did happen. I absolutely love those books. Many years ago I did read Dune, but I never read any of the later books.
Dune was, far and away, the best of the series. You might also try the following, all of which are decidedly original:

Battlefield Earth - L. Ron Hubbard (forget the movie, the book is incredible)
Lucifer's Hammer - Niven & Pournelle
Ringworld - Larry Niven
The Dragonriders of Pern - Anne McCaffrey (the first book is the best)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.