What are you reading right now (II)?

CornBiscuit

Suspended
Oct 2, 2005
Mobile, AL
The Missing Ring. I am enjoying it immensely. Now that's what a coach is supposed to be!
Just finished reading it. One of the best books I have ever read. Basically gives you all the players stories from every other book and puts it into one. I love those of the field stories that you never here.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Dune was, far and away, the best of the series. You might also try the following, all of which are decidedly original:

Battlefield Earth - L. Ron Hubbard (forget the movie, the book is incredible)
Lucifer's Hammer - Niven & Pournelle
Ringworld - Larry Niven
The Dragonriders of Pern - Anne McCaffrey (the first book is the best)
http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook761.htm?cached

I read a lot of these books back many years ago. Excellent. As I remember, lots of action and little sex.:biggrin2:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
What are you reading right now?

Completed "One Mississippi" (2005) by Mark Childress last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Set in the 70s in and around Jackson,MS. Race relations, alienation, and high school cliques, are some of the themes.

Childress is a U of A alum.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Re: What are you reading right now?

Completed "One Mississippi" (2005) by Mark Childress last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Set in the 70s in and around Jackson,MS. Race relations, alienation, and high school cliques, are some of the themes.

Childress is a U of A alum.
I'm going to get this. I finished "Crazy.." after Christmas and want to read more of his stuff. He's becoming my favorite author after Fannie Flag.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
After I am done with this series, I will begin Dan Simmons' Hyperion series...
Just about done with the first book - Hyperion. Amazing. I had no idea that Simmons was this good, and I have never experienced better character development. When reading one chapter last night, I was surprised to feel tears running down my face, so connected to the characters had I become.

I hope that the entire series is this good...

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
The Complete Gardner

This is a self defense book so I can understand what the heck other gardeners are talking about.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Just about done with the first book - Hyperion. Amazing. I had no idea that Simmons was this good, and I have never experienced better character development. When reading one chapter last night, I was surprised to feel tears running down my face, so connected to the characters had I become.

I hope that the entire series is this good...

Your tastes seem to parallel mine. I am going to buy Hyperion. It seems as good a way to pass the time to kickoff as any.

I also enjoyed the Robot books by Asimov (Robots of Dawn..Robots and Empire..etc) and how he tied them together with his Foundation series in Prelude to Foundation and Forward the foundation.

silentsam74

All-American
Dec 30, 2005
Sylvania, Alabama, United States
I'm about to finish Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. I haven't seen '300' yet. Never was able but will definitely pick it up Aug. 1st. I cannot say enough good things about this book. I actually had to force myself to put it down so that I could do some 'net surfing and find out more about the history of the Greeks and more importantly the Spartan warriors themselves.

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
Thus reads an ancient stone at Thermopylae in northern Greece, the site of one of the world's greatest battles for freedom. Here, in 480 B.C., on a narrow mountain pass above the crystalline Aegean, 300 Spartan knights and their allies faced the massive forces of Xerxes, King of Persia. From the start, there was no question but that the Spartans would perish. In Gates of Fire, however, Steven Pressfield makes their courageous defense--and eventual extinction--unbearably suspenseful.

In the tradition of Mary Renault, this historical novel unfolds in flashback. Xeo, the sole Spartan survivor of Thermopylae, has been captured by the Persians, and Xerxes himself presses his young captive to reveal how his tiny cohort kept more than 100,000 Persians at bay for a week. Xeo, however, begins at the beginning, when his childhood home in northern Greece was overrun and he escaped to Sparta. There he is drafted into the elite Spartan guard and rigorously schooled in the art of war--an education brutal enough to destroy half the students, but (oddly enough) not without humor: "The more miserable the conditions, the more convulsing the jokes became, or at least that's how it seems," Xeo recalls. His companions in arms are Alexandros, a gentle boy who turns out to be the most courageous of all, and Rooster, an angry, half-Messenian youth.

Pressfield's descriptions of war are breathtaking in their immediacy. They are also meticulously assembled out of physical detail and crisp, uncluttered metaphor.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I'm about to finish Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. I haven't seen '300' yet. Never was able but will definitely pick it up Aug. 1st. I cannot say enough good things about this book. I actually had to force myself to put it down so that I could do some 'net surfing and find out more about the history of the Greeks and more importantly the Spartan warriors themselves.
I'm a big Pressfield fan. Gates of Fire is a great book.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Have you by any chance been able to read Tides of War or The Virtues of War: A Novel of Alexander the Great? If so, what is your opinion of those? Thanks! :biggrin2:
I have read Tides of War -- a great book also. I haven't read Virtues of War, but it is on my "to do" list.

In a similar vein, I'm looking at reading Michael Curtis Ford -- The Ten Thousand, The Last King, The Sword of Attila. I am especially interested in The Ten Thousand, which involves one of my favorite events in history.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.