What are you reading right now (II)?

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I have read Tides of War -- a great book also. I haven't read Virtues of War, but it is on my "to do" list.

In a similar vein, I'm looking at reading Michael Curtis Ford -- The Ten Thousand, The Last King, The Sword of Attila. I am especially interested in The Ten Thousand, which involves one of my favorite events in history.
The Last King, I have read and researched, great book. Also read a lot about Sulla the Roman General.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I'm reading the Dark Tower: Darwing of the Three. I just finished Fields of Fire by James Webb, a very good read btw.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Just about done with the first book - Hyperion. Amazing. I had no idea that Simmons was this good, and I have never experienced better character development. When reading one chapter last night, I was surprised to feel tears running down my face, so connected to the characters had I become.

I hope that the entire series is this good...
Well, the first book was the best, but all 4 were very good. The ending was perfect, but the last book got a little out in left field before it was brought home. This series is very emotional, and character development is awesome, but it doesn't make my top 10 SF series list...

JH-ATL

Suspended
May 17, 2000
atlanta, ga
60+ page deposition of the opposition expert witness.......wanna trade?????????......have to do mine starting tomorrow........gonna limit it to 20+ pages.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
I have read Tides of War -- a great book also. I haven't read Virtues of War, but it is on my "to do" list.

In a similar vein, I'm looking at reading Michael Curtis Ford -- The Ten Thousand, The Last King, The Sword of Attila. I am especially interested in The Ten Thousand, which involves one of my favorite events in history.
I just finished Gates of Fire and I'm nearly halfway through Tides of War. Both are excellent.

For any Tom Robbins fans out there. I just finished Wild Ducks Flying Backward, it's a good read. Mostly non-fiction; critiques, abstract thoughts, a few poems. Mainly it's Robbins being Robbins.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I have four going at the moment:

In at the Death (Settling Accounts, book 4) by Harry Turtledove

The Commanding Heights by Daniel Yergin

Sandworms of Dune by Brain Heber and Kevin Anderson

Persian Fire by Tom Holland

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
What is your take on the Yergin book? I remember reading "The Prize" and being knocked out by it.
I love Yergin. I've read The Prize and Russia 2010. Like all his books, I read them at least twice -- breaking out the highlighter and jotting notes throughout the books.

The Commanding Heights: the Battle for the World Economy is a great read for those interested in economic history. He basically traces every major country's economic policy over the last century or so. And there's a basic theme: countries that insist on having government interfere in the marketplace are crushed under the weight of their own incompetence. Countries that have a respect for free markets, private property, the rule of law, etc. flourish.

England before and after Thatcher is incredible striking.

For those well-versed in economics these points are obvious. For me, it's just more ammunition. I can say to someone, "Ok. You never studied economics, but can you at least understand history?"

Of course, all this history is lost on our politicians who try (usually successfully) to trick the public into believing that a larger government role is beneficial.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I love Yergin. I've read The Prize and Russia 2010. Like all his books, I read them at least twice -- breaking out the highlighter and jotting notes throughout the books.

The Commanding Heights: the Battle for the World Economy is a great read for those interested in economic history. He basically traces every major country's economic policy over the last century or so. And there's a basic theme: countries that insist on having government interfere in the marketplace are crushed under the weight of their own incompetence. Countries that have a respect for free markets, private property, the rule of law, etc. flourish.

England before and after Thatcher is incredible striking.

For those well-versed in economics these points are obvious. For me, it's just more ammunition. I can say to someone, "Ok. You never studied economics, but can you at least understand history?"

Of course, all this history is lost on our politicians who try (usually successfully) to trick the public into believing that a larger government role is beneficial.
Thanks for the in-depth synopsis. Sounds like another winner from Yergin.

Also, after reading the Sports Illustrated story on Saban by him, I dug out and am re-reading "All Over But The Shouting" by Rick Bragg.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I just finished Bourne Ultimatum then Gates of Fire. I'm working on Potter 5 now. I read it when it came out but haven't read 6 or 7 so I'm re-reading 5 to refresh my memory and then will knock out the other 2. After that I think it'll be more of the author who did Gates.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.