What are you reading right now (II)?

I just finished Bourne Ultimatum then Gates of Fire. I'm working on Potter 5 now. I read it when it came out but haven't read 6 or 7 so I'm re-reading 5 to refresh my memory and then will knock out the other 2. After that I think it'll be more of the author who did Gates.
have you read all the Bourne books? I bought the first one because I didn't realize they were books before movies and thought they would be a good read. Your opinion of Ludlum?

bamapride79

All-SEC
Aug 10, 2003
I just finished Bourne Ultimatum then Gates of Fire. I'm working on Potter 5 now. I read it when it came out but haven't read 6 or 7 so I'm re-reading 5 to refresh my memory and then will knock out the other 2. After that I think it'll be more of the author who did Gates.

Steven Pressfield. If you ever catch a documentary on the Spartans you'll most likely see him interviewed.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Yes, I've read all three of the Bournes. I don't know how I feel about the 2 followup books by the other author. I think I'll pass. If the other Ludlum books are better then I'll have to give them a try.

On the Gates author, his other books looked interesting. I think I'll also read the 3 book series by Bernard Cornwell on the Crusades. I went through books on tape unabridged with his Arthur series and really enjoyed those.

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Reading Blaze by Steven King aka Richard Bachman, 90 pages into it with about less then 200 to go and not too good (but he wrote it years ago when he was first starting out to King's credit).

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Yes, I've read all three of the Bournes. I don't know how I feel about the 2 followup books by the other author. I think I'll pass. If the other Ludlum books are better then I'll have to give them a try.

On the Gates author, his other books looked interesting. I think I'll also read the 3 book series by Bernard Cornwell on the Crusades. I went through books on tape unabridged with his Arthur series and really enjoyed those.
Try the Parsifal Mosak, I loved the book years ago and read it 3 times. I told a producer friend of mine he should make it a movie long before the Bourne movies came out. Also the Holcroft Covenant, Chancellor Manuscript and Aquitaine Progressive were excellent I think. Since I have read everything Ludlum every wrote it's hard the really good ones but earlier stuff the better.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Thanks for the tips Rogue.

I noticed your location listing...you don't happen to have a half sister living in Tuscaloosa do you?

CapstoneStan

All-American
Feb 5, 2001
Manchester, TN
I am reading Varied Star. It is a posthumous collaboration between Robert Heinlein and Spider Robinson. Basically Heinlein left an outline that he never finished and his estate turned it over to Robinson for development. I have read 5-6 chapters and so far so good.

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ

The follow-up books are not half bad, but Bourne loses some of his toughness in them. Jason becomes a bit too soft for my liking...

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Try the Parsifal Mosak, I loved the book years ago and read it 3 times. I told a producer friend of mine he should make it a movie long before the Bourne movies came out. Also the Holcroft Covenant, Chancellor Manuscript and Aquitaine Progressive were excellent I think. Since I have read everything Ludlum every wrote it's hard the really good ones but earlier stuff the better.
My favorite book by Ludlam is The Holcroft Covenant. Excellent plot with incredible twists...

Reactions: Russell31210

IBCandW

2nd Team
Jun 2, 2004
Alexander City, AL, US
Just finished Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield.....it was
ok...but for some reason I could not really get into the
story. I suppose Bernard Cornwell has spoiled me too much with his superb writing ability and everyone else just
seems mediocre.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Lots of Cornwell fans here. Have any of you read the Flashman Papers by George MacDonald Fraser? It's the anti-Sharpe series. Flashy is the biggest, letcher, coward, and drunkard in the British army during the Victorian era, but always winds up the hero.

jbcarter

Sep 4, 2007
My favorite book by Ludlam is The Holcroft Covenant. Excellent plot with incredible twists...

All of his early stuff was good, he also wrote under the name of Jonathan Ryder (Trevayne and The Cry of the Halido) and as Michael Shephard (The road to Gandolfo. I dont care for the stuff that writers have finished up for him since his death.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Just finished Founding Brothers by Joseph J. Ellis. It has a great chapter about the duel between Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr. It also includes details of the political and personal relationship between Thomas Jefferson and John Adams.

Now I want to read his other books. Has anyone read American Sphinx?

Last edited:

RogueElephant

All-American
Mar 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I just finished Robert Ludlum's "The Bancroft Strategy" when I was back in Bama for Homecoming. Pretty good story line and I find it so weird Ludlum has been gone for a few years now but still they put out new books. Must have been an unwritten manuscript.

Just about to finish up The Bear's auto biography with John Underwood, reprint. I have a copy of the 1975 orginial first edition in my collection. The one good thing about going back home to T-town is I add to my collection of Bama books.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I just finished "The Places in Between," by Rory Stewart. Stewart walked across Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nepal, and India from 2000-2002. The book is about his time in Afghanistan about 6 weeks after 911.

I'm currently reading, "Travels with Herodotus," by Ryszard Kapuscinski. So far it's pretty good. The author was a Polish journalist who got the opportunity to travel during the Cold War. THe book is about his journeys.

AlabasterBama

3rd Team
Dec 14, 2006
Alabaster, Alabama
I just finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. Her autobiography about her childhood in poverty and the struggle she and her siblings had to come out of it. 3 of the 4 did. She was a writer for MSNBC, but she left and is writing fulltime now. Great read.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.