What are you reading right now (II)?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the US Navy by Ian W. Toll. Highly recommended to anyone interested in Naval history or early US history.
Wondering if anyone has visited the Constitution in Boston or for that matter, the HMS Victory?
I have not visited either. Went to Boston a few times on business back in the day but never had time to play tourist. Only made one trip as a tourist, but that was for just a couple of days and couldn't work in a visit to the Constitution. One day ...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the US Navy by Ian W. Toll. Highly recommended to anyone interested in Naval history or early US history.
Wondering if anyone has visited the Constitution in Boston or for that matter, the HMS Victory?
Mrs. Basket Case and I were in Boston a long time ago and visited the Constitution. The crew is made up of active-duty Navy servicemembers, and it’s a highly sought-after assignment. Extremely competitive to get that posting. They are chosen for not only naval skill, but also personality and ability to relate to the public, most especially kids.

They have a lot in common with interpretative National Park Rangers, including period-correct 18th Century uniforms.

Every one we talked to was enthusiastic, knowledgeable and incredibly happy to be where they were. Like I said, it’s been a while — over 20 years — but I’d be surprised if that part is any different today.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Slaying the Dragon: A Secret History of Dungeons & Dragons by Ben Riggs

This is a book I've looked forward to reading for a while. I was a D&D fan during middle school and a little bit into high school in the mid- to late-80s. I didn't play near as much as I wanted to. Very time consuming game, but lots of fun. Free range imagination! It had been ages since I even thought much about the game, but in the recent move to Florida, I had to go through boxes of stuff that have been sealed up for a long time. I recently found the box with all my D&D books, supplies, and notes and campaigns I wrote for my friends to play. A nice bit a nostalgia from a much more innocent time. :)

Book summary:

Co-created by wargame enthusiasts Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, the original Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game released by TSR (Tactical Studies Rules) in 1974 created a radical new medium: the role-playing game. For the next two decades, TSR rocketed to success, producing multiple editions of D&D, numerous settings for the game, magazines, video games, New York Times bestselling novels by Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, and R. A. Salvatore, and even a TV show! But by 1997, a series of ruinous choices and failed projects brought TSR to the edge of doom―only to be saved by their fiercest competitor, Wizards of the Coast, the company behind the collectible card game Magic: The Gathering.

Unearthed from Ben Riggs’s own adventurous campaign of in-depth research, interviews with major players, and acquisitions of secret documents, Slaying the Dragon reveals the true story of the rise and fall of TSR. Go behind the scenes of their Lake Geneva headquarters where innovative artists and writers redefined the sword and sorcery genre, managers and executives sabotaged their own success by alienating their top talent, ignoring their customer fanbase, accruing a mountain of debt, and agreeing to deals which, by the end, made them into a publishing company unable to publish so much as a postcard.

As epic and fantastic as the adventures TSR published, Slaying the Dragon is the legendary tale of the rise and fall of the company that created the role-playing game world.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.