What are you reading right now (II)?
Page 1 of 103 123456781151101 ... LastLast
    Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Note What are you reading right now (II)?

Hey folks.

I'm sort of resurrecting a post that Nate did back in December to see what everyone is reading.

I'm a few pages from finishing "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini and want to know what I should read next.

Considerations:

1) The Da Vinci Code
    2) Alexander Hamilton

Other suggestions?

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar

Note

I just finished Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, by Gregory Maguire. The book (the basis for the current broadway musical), builds a history for the witch loosely based on the mythology built up during the entire series of Oz books.

Very interesting, very entertaining, and it raises some engaging ethical issues as well. As Glinda says in the musical, some people have wickedness thrust upon them.

I'm currently re-reading the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson.

------------------
    "Reading made Don Quixote a gentleman. Believing what he had read made him mad." -- George Bernard Shaw

[This message has been edited by jthomas666 (edited 07-13-2004).]
    This is the darkest timeline.

BamaNation First Team CBag4Bama's Avatar

Note

I just finished No Second Chance by Harlan Coben .. very good book .. Im going to look at some of his other stuff .. he has a new hardback out called Just One Look.

How was Eragon?

Publisher, TideFans.com &
    Benevolent Dictator

Note

Eragon was interesting. Not nearly as much character development or detail as LOTR, but still a pretty nice job, I thought.

Note

I'm finishing "The Screwtape Letters," by CS Lewis.

After that I'm starting, "Crusade in Europe," by DD Eisenhower.

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief bayoutider's Avatar

Note

My son just gave me Eragon to read. It is one of those Sword and Sorcery books but is good light reading so far.
    bayoutider1@tidefans.com

"You don't have to flaunt your success, but you don't have to apologize for it, either" -- Gene Stallings

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts." -Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Suspended

Note

I just finished reading from The Mark through the Glorious Appearing (usually wait for paperback, but BAM had a 44% off sale, lol). I'm debating what to pick up next, who knows. I think I'm going to go through some Readers Digests my friend gets and is going to give to me.

Any suggestions for a good Quadratic Programming book? Preferably explaining it in detail for C?

------------------
    --Streyeder
    "Stupidity should be painful."

Mallet Über Alles!

Note

I'm reading "Never Wrestle With a Pig and Ninety Other Ideas to Build Your Business and Career". The author is Mark McCormack. He is the dude that wrote the 'What They Don't Teach you in Harvard' books.

Its a great read. I recommend it to anyone in business school or people thinking about a career change.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

I'm working on a Tom Clancy book.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran
    I'm working on a Tom Clancy book.
    If you get a chance and like Clancy, read Shadow Warriors. Its a non-fiction about the history of the special forces. Awesome!

BamaNation All-SEC
    Four Blind Mice by James Patterson. Just finished Black Lightning

by John Saul.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

BamaNation Second Team
    I just started The Winds of War by Herman Wouk, which is historical fiction piece about a man that is a military attache in Germany at the outset of WWII. There's a sequel to it, War and Rememberance, that is next on my list.

I just finished Gettysburg by Newt Gingrich which is alternative history. It focuses on what might have happened if the South would have won the battle of Gettysburg. There is a sequel out, Grant Comes East, but I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback so I can have a matching set.

At some point, I need to finish CS Lewis's Mere Christianity, although I'm afraid the school year and long weekends of MDB will interupt that.

BamaNation First Team Ramah Jamah's Avatar
    I Call The Shots by Johnny Miller, its a piece of crap, Benjamin Franklin by Walter Isaacson which is great and Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky which sounds boring, but it is really interesting.
    "The expectation level is high at the University of Alabama and it should be.What's wrong with people expecting excellence?" Coach Gene Stallings upon his hiring as head coach in 1990.

My biggest pet peave? Bad grammar. Remember, it is "we were" not "we was". Also it is "I saw" and not "I seen".

IF YOU DON'T LIKE FINEBAUM DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM.......period!

Volvere Aestus Volvere!!