What are you reading right now (II)?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
A Handful of Hard Men: The SAS and the Battle for Rhodesia by Hannes Wessels

Fascinating and sad history
Just finished reading this one. Crazy how the whole "free" world was willing to ignore communist aggression in Southern Africa for short term political expediency. They literally aided and abetted a communist overthrow of a western nation. Crazy. Those SAS guys were some bad dudes though!

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Just finished reading this one. Crazy how the whole "free" world was willing to ignore communist aggression in Southern Africa for short term political expediency. They literally aided and abetted a communist overthrow of a western nation. Crazy. Those SAS guys were some bad dudes though!
Yep. Much of the West (especially the Brits) stabbed them in the back. All the atrocities against women, children, the elderly, etc. were ignored. And the result was the rise of a brutal dictatorship and enforced strict poverty and starvation on the people. Politicians everywhere suck.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I just finished:

The Liberator: One World War II Soldier's 500-Day Odyssey from the Beaches of Sicily to the Gates of Dachau by Alex Kershaw

I'm about to start:

Classic Krakauer: Mark Foo's Last Ride, After the Fall, and Other Essays from the Vault by Jon Krakauer

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman

Fascinating military history of the first month of (and the months leading up to) WWI. So much governmental and military blundering. Tragic.
I enjoyed Guns of August very much. Barbara Tuchman has another book about the years immediately prior to WWI, roughly Edwardian time, that I would like to check out as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.