Foodies

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
OK you can probably call me a foodie, I like good food but somehow good food got off track when FoodTV got into it. They have many good chefs and cooks, yes not all of them are chefs, but a few of them, and I have their cookbooks, have dishes that are just Fugly. I'm talking about the Blue Corn Encrusted Deep Fried Pigs Foot on a bed of Sour Apple Collard Greens with a side of Hominy with Fig Sauce. Or maybe the Boiled Goat Eyes with Shredded Leather salad and Braised Buttons.

I am generally a meat and three kind of guy unless it's a one pot dish like comfort food which I am a huge fan of. I am a traditionalist, I need at least one starch on the plate whether it be potato, rice or a noodle, some substitutes can apply here but very few. So I have never figured out why a chef would put a piece of fried catfish on top of a mashed black eye pea cake, ladle some ten cent sauce over it and call that dinner.

Is anyone else having a problem with this or did I just wake up grumpy?

:) We should all wake up with a smile on our face so we can get that out of the way for the day.

...you're just grumpy. Take two black-eyed peas and call me in the morning :)

I guess it's just fashionable now for food to not only have presentation, it must also have a fancy name....or title :conf2:. It's just not cool for a "Chef" to call his/her "creation" something as boring as catfish and peas.

So, unless the title is "Blue Corn Encrusted Deep Fried Pigs Foot on a bed of Sour Apple Collard Greens with a side of Hominy with Fig Sauce"...it might otherwise be called Pig's Feet & Greens....The former does sound better, but I'm guessing the dish would still suck :puke:

Last edited:

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Perhaps we could use this thread to rename some of our favorite plates of food.

Braised Round steak topped with cooked sweet onions, Volcano of mashed potatoes with brown gravy lava, Early green peas and sliced tomato with a drizzle of olive oil, black pepper and Portuguese Salt Cream.

I

It's On A Slab

I don't have a problem with fancy names nor presentation as long as it gets folks to eating better.

OK, I have one...

From the southern United States, we offer catfish de frita marinated in buttermilk, lightly dusted with Harina de Maiz then seared in imported peanut oil.

Suggested accompaniment is greens de collard drizzled with a delicate vinegar dressing.

For desert may we suggest Pudin de nanner

Our Vino de la Thunderbird is an excellent choice with this dish

:tongue:

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
OK, I have one...

From the southern United States, we offer catfish de frita marinated in buttermilk, lightly dusted with Harina de Maiz then seared in imported peanut oil.

Suggested accompaniment is greens de collard drizzled with a delicate vinegar dressing.

For desert may we suggest Pudin de nanner

Our Vino de la Thunderbird is an excellent choice with this dish

:tongue:
Pudin de nanner! thats great.. lol

aden

Suspended
Jan 30, 2005
citronelle ala
I agree Bayou, if I want pretty ,fancy food I'll follow food network.but when I want real food ,I remember what my grandma cooked and go from there.By the way ,she was 107 when she died saw the turning of 2 centuries and always used butter and bacon greaseand dipped bitter garret snuff until she died.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
WOW 107 must be close to a record, my great grandfather made it to 98 but he was not much more than a vegetable himself the years I knew him.

The plates do look nice but leave me wanting more on the plate. A veal chop on a brick of fried grits and a drizzle of red pepper puree around the plate is an example and too often I watch someone like Bobby Flay make a dish and ask why are you wasting so many shrimp cooking that crap dish? Respect the food yes, respect the recipient of the food yes, yes.

BigCountry

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2006
New Hope, Alabama
I agree Bayou. Majority of these "Chefs" have gotten away from making quality food that TASTES GOOD. They are more interested in creating a dish that sounds or looks unique. They seem to be way to into the visual aid and what kinds of curiosity it can peak. Foams and reductions and dry ice, HUMBUG. Just give me a kitchen and a pantry and let's make some food that tastes, smells, and looks good enough to eat!

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
The plates do look nice but leave me wanting more on the plate. A veal chop on a brick of fried grits and a drizzle of red pepper puree around the plate is an example and too often I watch someone like Bobby Flay make a dish and ask why are you wasting so many shrimp cooking that crap dish? Respect the food yes, respect the recipient of the food yes, yes.
Because I'm unfamiliar with the context of the dishes you're talking about, I would assume that these smaller dishes are intended as courses, i.e. one of several dishes served in a sitting.

There are some very fine restaurants here in DC that serve Southern-themed fare (e.g. Central, Georgia Brown's, Vidalia, etc.), and they're often served as smaller dishes with the intent that you'll be having several courses.

Actually, the best "Southern" meal I've had in a long, long time was at Michel Richard's (a French chef) Central. He does a lot of Southern dishes playfully and with flawless French techniques. I still salivate at the thought of his BBQ shrimp with collard greens and creamy black-eyed peas. I really, really hated to say it at the time to my wife, but I had to grudgingly accept the fact that a French chef had made probably the best BBQ sauce I ever tasted. And I ate a lot of BBQ all over the South & elsewhere before I came to DC.

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL
The problem I have with "foodies" and the Chefs that now cater to them is portion size. Agreed we need to get away from the MEGA portions that have gotten our country so obese, but I watch shows like Anthony Bourdain at a fancy schmancy restaurant and wonder is he's even full. I once spent a fortune at The Mansion in Atlanta and had to stop by McDonald's afterward.....

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I feel some chefs really are trying to create art instead of food. I have dined in my share and probably someone else s share of top restaurants from California to Louisiana, from New York to Chicago to Miami, Paris, London, Constantinople, Rome, etc. I'm no one trick pony when it comes to food. If I want to be impressed visually I go to a sushi bar, if I want to get full of home cooking I go to a truck stop ;). Most of the restaurants I have gone to prepare a good meal you can fill up on my main rant is about the dishes coming from the several FoodTV reality shows and the judges seem to judge them like they aren't all that unusual. But really a peanut butter crusted sardine served on a poached celery stick stuns me.

bilbo

Pro Sports Moderator
Oct 13, 1999
Gulf Shores, AL
My point exactly. Waffle House makes some mean chicken/hashbrowns yet I've also eaten at Ron of Japan and Laury's in Chicago and except for the $ are some fantastic meals. Just because food is "pretty" and "cutting edge" doesn't mean I have to pay $100 for basically a side dish size entrée......

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Well, I guess i woke up grumpy too because my favorite on the Food channel is "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives." There's nothing pretentious about it, just good solid food we can usually identify with and Guy has the table manners of Genghis Khan doing a drive-by at a fast-food in his path while raping and pillaging.

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.
Well, I guess i woke up grumpy too because my favorite on the Food channel is "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives." There's nothing pretentious about it, just good solid food we can usually identify with and Guy has the table manners of Genghis Khan doing a drive-by at a fast-food in his path while raping and pillaging.
Agreed T-Mac. Man vs Food is another good one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.