You Make The Call (8-27)

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Just for fun, let's see how well we know the rulebook (remember, these will be NFHS rules, not NCAA - yes, there are differences). I will post one of these every now and then...

"Prior to the game, both teams wait for the other team to go out on the field first. What should the referee do?"

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Doesn't matter - it can be prior to the captains coming out for the toss or after the toss if only the captains are on the field.

crimson_flame

Scout Team
Aug 16, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'll take a shot. The Ref tells both coaches that it's time to start the game. Then the Ref goes to the center of the field with the ball and starts the Play-Clock. Which ever team, if not both, is not on the field gets disqualified. Game Over!

------------------
I BLEED CRIMSON!

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Nope. Anyone else have a guess? I'll wait until Wednesday morning, then give the answer...let's get some more guesses from ya'll.

BamaDevO

All-SEC
Jun 13, 2000
Atlanta, Ga.
I'll guess.....
He Blows the whistle to signal both teams to come to the field and then starts taking away timeouts from each team.

[This message has been edited by BamaDevO (edited August 28, 2001).]

BamaDevO

All-SEC
Jun 13, 2000
Atlanta, Ga.
I know they should call a day ahead.
Then on gameday, they should get with the coaches about changes since the phone call.
Then, they make sure each team is on the field and the coin toss should be about 3 minutes before kickoff, but I don't know what they should do if the teams do not walk out.
I guess they should go over and try to get them to come to the coin toss.
I wonder if they should put the ball in play?

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
According to NFHS rules, if neither team wants to come out first, the referee is to direct the home team to come out first. If they refuse, they can be assessed a 5 yd delay of game penalty. This rule really surprised me, because I thought the visiting team should be directed to come out first.

BamaDevO

All-SEC
Jun 13, 2000
Atlanta, Ga.
O.K.
I feel the same way, the visiting team is the one I would think should have to come out first.
But, I don't make the rules......I just break 'em...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.