What are some of the biggest HS rivalries from around the state?

BamaDevO

All-SEC
Jun 13, 2000
Atlanta, Ga.
Your are right, Gadsden-Etowah is the biggy around these parts.
Usually the winner is guarenteed a trip to the playoffs.
I hear Oxford isn't gonna be bad this year, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

naweofbama

Scout Team
Nov 9, 1999
Trussville, Al
I've got to go with Etowah-Gadsden. When they play, if you don't get there 3-4 hours early you won't find a seat. I mean jam packed with no standing room even. I saw 15,000+ year before last.

TiderinMiss

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2000
Clinton, MS
Being we were considered the "b@stard" children north of Mobile, LOL, Southern Choctaw (Silas) had some great rivalries with St. Paul, UMS, and the former Alba High (now Alma Bryant).

Before the '80's, the big one was Silas vs. Millry, but other biggies are Southern Choctaw/Choctaw County (bragging rights) and now, the newest one and it's cathcing on statewide is Southern Choctaw/Leroy.

TiderinMiss

------------------
AUBURN-
Alabama
Ususally
Beats
Us
Round
November

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Two pop into my mind:

1 - Lee vs. Lanier in Montgomery. Although it has cooled in recent years compared to Lee/Jeff Davis, this used to be THE game in Alabama HS FB. If you didn't buy a ticket a week or so in advance, you could not get into Cramton Bowl.

2 - I used to coach JV FB at Smiths Station, and there was no more hated rivalry than Smith Station vs. Valley. We just did not like each other at all, and usually there were 2 dang good FB teams on the field whenever we played.

TideOnTheMind

Aug 28, 2001
Riverdale
I went to school just west of Tuscaloosa and know that County High and Central are big rivals...However, if you read the Tuscaloosa News in or around October you might see articles on the Pickens County High School vs. Gordo Greenwave rivalry... It is a longstanding rivalry and a bitter one at that...

bwdial

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2000
Tampa, FL
Clay Bowl
Clay County HS vs. Lineville
Two of the best small programs in the state and boy, do they hate each other.
My cousin went to Lineville and most of my family's from around Clay Co.

Tide4Life

Dec 27, 1999
Billingsley
The biggest Little School Rivalry is Billingsley vs Maplesville. Also the Prattville vs Stanhope rivalry has been a good one over the years. RTR!!!!

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I'm an '87 grad of Fairhope (before Daphne HS was created and forever ended Pirate prowess). Anyway, our arch rival was Foley. It was the War on the Shore. It was the Battle of Blue and Gold. Fortunately, I attended HS during a seven game winning streak against the Lions. Of course, it helped that I played LB behind monster Leon "Big Cat" Lett.

------------------
Bodie

"Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war."
Marc Antony
Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar"
Act Three

JoJoforHeisman

All-American
Dec 7, 2000
Birmingham
diamondtide.tidefans.com
Frisco City v. Excel is a very competetive rivalry in Monroe County. Although FCHS is a smaller school, they have always managed to play the Panthers tough over the years. Not only do the schools hate each other, the actual residents of the respective towns harbor a pretty significant degree of animosity toward their "cross creek" neighbors.

The greatest to ever play in this rivalry:

Lee Roy Jordan

Tide Siblacer

1st Team
Aug 3, 2001
Middletown, R.I. USA
North Jackson vs. Scottsboro in North East Alabama. When I went to NJ it was a war when these two schools took the field. Its been A long time since I have been to a game(i.e. In the USMC in SC.) but when I did go they were heated and fiercely played.

Crimson_57

Aug 3, 2001
Tennesee Valley Area
One of the best in N. Al year in and year out is the Decatur Red Raiders vs Austin Black Bears. The town is split in two with the two high schools. Most of the players and parents and fans know each other. They hang out at church and many other social activities with each other. It reminds a lot of us of the Alabama / Auburn game. You even have the red of Decatur vs the orange of Austin. It's a great rivalry game that everyone here enjoys. Plus, it's just as fierce in baseball, basketball, and soccer as it is during football season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.