Hey, TideHawk ...

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Jref,

I'm disappointed that you didn't check with me since that's my old stomping grounds. T R Miller lost one game this year -- to top ranked UMS Wright by the score of 20-7. Wright scored two touchdowns off of Miller fumbles and Miller's star running back was limited in the second half due to leg cramps. Miller is, as usual, a very strong team. I don't know a whole lot about St. James. Good luck!

BamaDevO

All-SEC
Jun 13, 2000
Atlanta, Ga.
Thanks for that info bamajake!
I knew they lost to Wright, but I didn't know about the game.

Sounds like they could make some noise in the playoffs!

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
My crew had St. James and Montgomery Academy this past Friday night. They are a predominantly running team w/ a big bruising fullback - can't throw the deep ball. Pretty strong kicking game, decent on defense. I don't think they have the talent or the athletes to keep up w/ TR Miller.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Naturally, I don't care who wins.

Personally, I'd like to see a nice low-scoring game with a lot of running plays and very few incomplete passes.

It's a l - o - n - g way back to Tuscaloosa from Brewton, and 'Bama starts at 11:30 AM.

And for those of you that think we're getting rich calling HS football, consider this: Our crew will leave Tuscaloosa at 1:00 PM Friday afternoon. We'll get back about 2:00 AM. That's 13 hours total for $52.50 each, or a little over $4.00 per hour. Plus, we have to pay for our own food.

You gotta love it!!

BamaDevO

All-SEC
Jun 13, 2000
Atlanta, Ga.
I always wondered how much they were payed.
Does the pay go up in the playoffs?

Also, how would someone go about becoming a H.S. Football ref?

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
$52.50 is the increased pay for playoffs. If you want to get into officiating, you need to contact your local official's association. If you do not know who to contact, check with the coach at your favorite school. He can tell you which association works his games and who his contact person is.

I'm not sure about your area, but I understand that most areas need more officials as many top officials are retiring and have to be replaced. A number of people get into officiating and work for a year or two and give it up. While each person who gives it up has his own reason, low pay, long hours and abusive coaches and parents are prime reasons that people get out of officiating. A prime example of why people get out of officiating was reported recently by Fox News. Jref sent me an e-mail this morning of the report. Take a look at this site and see what you think:

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,38276,00.html

After reading the article, I wonder if we have all gone insane.

By the way Jref, I have been told that T R Miller has installed a new offense this year and they are as pass happy as Steve Spurrier. It seems that they throw 40 to 50 times a game and love to go deep over the middle. --- Just kidding --- T R Miller would prefer to run the ball all night, but if the defense tries to take away the run, they will pass. A friend (and TRM graduate) tells me that they may throw 10 to 20 times, mostly short stuff. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by bamajake (edited November 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by bamajake (edited November 08, 2001).]

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BamaDevO:
I always wondered how much they were payed.
Does the pay go up in the playoffs?

Also, how would someone go about becoming a H.S. Football ref?

</font>
The regular season pay is a maximum of $50 per onfield official per game. Clock operators get $30 per game. For out-of-town games, we also receive a travel allowance of $0.32 per mile both ways for one vehicle.

Anyone wanting to become a HS official should contact their local officials' association. The contact numbers are posted on the AHSAA web site (www.ahsaa.com). You could also call your local high school's AD and ask for the contact name or number of the local association that serves that school. If you know any officials personally, I'm sure they would be happy to provide you with the same info. Also, many officials work more than one sport. You could ask some of the hoops officials during the upcoming season.

Most local associations post a notice in the newspaper announcing the first meeting of the year. That's usually in early-to-mid June.

Of course, if you want to move to Tuscaloosa ...

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
DevO:

If you go to www.ahsaa.com there is a section for officials, and several of the local associations have a website. My assoc. (Central AL FB Off. Assoc.) has a site. Find the site that is closest to your area and they will have a commissioner or booking agent to talk with. AS a matter of fact, I see you are in Gadsden. I have a good friend who is an official who lives in Saks outside of Anniston - that may be a close one for you. His name is Lewis Roberts - look him up and give him a call.

[This message has been edited by tidehawk (edited November 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by tidehawk (edited November 08, 2001).]

BamaDevO

All-SEC
Jun 13, 2000
Atlanta, Ga.
Thanks guys!
I have done a little Softball work, but I never have even thought about H.S. Football.
I guess you'd have to love it like we do to even think about doing that huh?

Let me go back to Bamajake's post and say, "WOW" that is funny and yet not funny at all!
What I really wanted to know is the final score???!!!...

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
BamaDevO, its interesting that you mention that you never really thought about working football untill recently. I was much the same way. I worked summer league baseball only for many years and had never really given thought to working football or high school baseball. Every year a number of my friends who work football tried to talk me into working football with them. Each year, I resisted. A copule of years ago, however, I just woke up one morning and decided that I wanted to work football. I have no idea what caused me to make that decision. I called one of my friends (Jref) and asked when the meetings started. I was hooked from the first time that I put on the stripes and walked onto the field. I enjoyed it so much that I began working high school baseball as well. I would encourage you, and anyone else who has considered putting on the stripes, to give it a try next year. It is a lot of fun and it gets you involved in the game moreso than being a spectator.

BamaDevO

All-SEC
Jun 13, 2000
Atlanta, Ga.
Thanks Bamajake!
I have already told my wife I think I'll give it a shot!

Hey guys! Did you get on Tidefans to recruit people???....

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
No, I had actually been reading the posts for a while before I decided to post something. However, I know that there is a shortage of officials in most sports and we are always on the lookout for new guys. Plus, I guess officiating is like any other activity -- when you enjoy doing it, you want others to join up as well.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Devo, make sure you tell your wife to beware - there will be at least 2 1/2 months worth of Friday nights when you won't be home, not to mention Thursday JV games and maybe some Saturday pee wee games. Although, you never know - she might welcome the time away

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.