BBQ / Meat: Memphis Style Rub

Take what ever meat out that your going to cook with out. Wash the meat off and make sure you pat it dry with a paper towel. Then take your rub and spread it on the meat evenly.
Put the meat in the refrigerator for about 30min to a hour.

Last edited:

fullslab

Aug 21, 2010
I used a very similar rub recipe yesterday to grill ribs (also basted them periodically while they were grilling), and they turned out fantastic.
One question though: I too put the ribs in the fridge after patting them dry and seasoning them (generously) with the rub. I put them in the fridge on the suggestion of a relative who gave me the overall grilling instructions. Just curious - what is the reason to put them in the fridge?

fullslab

Aug 21, 2010
Cool, thanks - that's what I had thought. So I guess this is probably a good thing to do in the future with any rub & meat (steak, pork loin, etc). Cheers!

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Not say'n these rubs are great, but after using all manner of rub recipes and marinades, I just use Tones restaurant black pepper (coarse ground black pepper) and salt.We used to baste with a mixture of bacon grease and vinegar while using hi heat charcoal smoker. Since my husband passed I just use my "old smokey" electric smoker,no fuss no muss, and it's flat top is "sealed", decreases smoking time and no need to baste. I put a 3 and1/2 -4 pound slab of baby backs on and if I don't watch out it'll cook off the bone. Smokey delicious after about two hours. In fact I have to cheat and look to take off the "little" ones first! I section them in a rib rack. "If your look'n it's not cook'n" isn't that critical here, especially when ambient temps are between 80-100. Oh yes it holds temp in the winter,just adjust the cooking time a little. Then I enjoy with my "famous" vinegar based brown To quote Homer Simpson, mmmmm! :biggrin2:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Not say'n these rubs are great, but after using all manner of rub recipes and marinades, I just use Tones restaurant black pepper (coarse ground black pepper) and salt.We used to baste with a mixture of bacon grease and vinegar while using hi heat charcoal smoker. Since my husband passed I just use my "old smokey" electric smoker,no fuss no muss, and it's flat top is "sealed", decreases smoking time and no need to baste. I put a 3 and1/2 -4 pound slab of baby backs on and if I don't watch out it'll cook off the bone. Smokey delicious after about two hours. In fact I have to cheat and look to take off the "little" ones first! I section them in a rib rack. "If your look'n it's not cook'n" isn't that critical here, especially when ambient temps are between 80-100. Oh yes it holds temp in the winter,just adjust the cooking time a little. Then I enjoy with my "famous" vinegar based brown To quote Homer Simpson, mmmmm! :biggrin2:
If you are cooking at 80-100F you are begging for bacteria growth crank up the temp.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.