BBQ / Meat: Memphis Style Rub

Take what ever meat out that your going to cook with out. Wash the meat off and make sure you pat it dry with a paper towel. Then take your rub and spread it on the meat evenly.
Put the meat in the refrigerator for about 30min to a hour.

Last edited:

fullslab

Aug 21, 2010
I used a very similar rub recipe yesterday to grill ribs (also basted them periodically while they were grilling), and they turned out fantastic.
One question though: I too put the ribs in the fridge after patting them dry and seasoning them (generously) with the rub. I put them in the fridge on the suggestion of a relative who gave me the overall grilling instructions. Just curious - what is the reason to put them in the fridge?

fullslab

Aug 21, 2010
Cool, thanks - that's what I had thought. So I guess this is probably a good thing to do in the future with any rub & meat (steak, pork loin, etc). Cheers!

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Not say'n these rubs are great, but after using all manner of rub recipes and marinades, I just use Tones restaurant black pepper (coarse ground black pepper) and salt.We used to baste with a mixture of bacon grease and vinegar while using hi heat charcoal smoker. Since my husband passed I just use my "old smokey" electric smoker,no fuss no muss, and it's flat top is "sealed", decreases smoking time and no need to baste. I put a 3 and1/2 -4 pound slab of baby backs on and if I don't watch out it'll cook off the bone. Smokey delicious after about two hours. In fact I have to cheat and look to take off the "little" ones first! I section them in a rib rack. "If your look'n it's not cook'n" isn't that critical here, especially when ambient temps are between 80-100. Oh yes it holds temp in the winter,just adjust the cooking time a little. Then I enjoy with my "famous" vinegar based brown To quote Homer Simpson, mmmmm! :biggrin2:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Not say'n these rubs are great, but after using all manner of rub recipes and marinades, I just use Tones restaurant black pepper (coarse ground black pepper) and salt.We used to baste with a mixture of bacon grease and vinegar while using hi heat charcoal smoker. Since my husband passed I just use my "old smokey" electric smoker,no fuss no muss, and it's flat top is "sealed", decreases smoking time and no need to baste. I put a 3 and1/2 -4 pound slab of baby backs on and if I don't watch out it'll cook off the bone. Smokey delicious after about two hours. In fact I have to cheat and look to take off the "little" ones first! I section them in a rib rack. "If your look'n it's not cook'n" isn't that critical here, especially when ambient temps are between 80-100. Oh yes it holds temp in the winter,just adjust the cooking time a little. Then I enjoy with my "famous" vinegar based brown To quote Homer Simpson, mmmmm! :biggrin2:
If you are cooking at 80-100F you are begging for bacteria growth crank up the temp.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.