AHSAA Changes

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Also Jref, can you comment on what edwd said about a possible punishment for those refs?
I'm not sure what his friend meant by "severe punishment".

In the past, officials have been suspended for a week or two for not wearing a proper uniform, being late to (or not showing up for) games, using profanity on the field, etc.

I have NEVER, in over 25 years, heard of AHSAA suspending an official over judgment calls.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not sure what his friend meant by "severe punishment".

In the past, officials have been suspended for a week or two for not wearing a proper uniform, being late to (or not showing up for) games, using profanity on the field, etc.

I have NEVER, in over 25 years, heard of AHSAA suspending an official over judgment calls.
Ok. Thanks.

I remember now what made me think that flag was roughing the passer. Soon after it happened, my brother called me and asked if the PHS players knew not to hit the QB after he threw the ball. He was listening to the game on the radio (either Hoover or AHSAA broadcast), so that's where I got the thought that the flag was roughing the passer.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
I remember now what made me think that flag was roughing the passer. Soon after it happened, my brother called me and asked if the PHS players knew not to hit the QB after he threw the ball. He was listening to the game on the radio (either Hoover or AHSAA broadcast), so that's where I got the thought that the flag was roughing the passer.
I'm certainly not "anti-broadcaster", but there are many times (in all sports) when they don't get the facts exactly right. And I don't expect them to -- after all, they are professional talkers, not officials.

What gets my goat is when they keep harping on "bad" calls when they often don't even realize what the call was, or that the rules may be different at the level they are watching than what they see on Saturday or Sunday.

A good example is the NCAA/NFL rule allowing the QB to intentionally throw the ball away if he's out of the tackle box. That is NOT allowable in high school football, yet you'd be surprised how many coaches/broadcasters/fans think we missed that call when it happens on a Friday night.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm certainly not "anti-broadcaster", but there are many times (in all sports) when they don't get the facts exactly right. And I don't expect them to -- after all, they are professional talkers, not officials.

What gets my goat is when they keep harping on "bad" calls when they often don't even realize what the call was, or that the rules may be different at the level they are watching than what they see on Saturday or Sunday.

A good example is the NCAA/NFL rule allowing the QB to intentionally throw the ball away if he's out of the tackle box. That is NOT allowable in high school football, yet you'd be surprised how many coaches/broadcasters/fans think we missed that call when it happens on a Friday night.
I know I have fallen fault to that exact thing. Then I realize the rules are probably different. I know it's not really possible, but I wish there were universal rules (with the exception of clock rules, of course).

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL

Bingo.

It's not just broadcasters. I was calling the Demopolis/Sweet Water game and we had a PI call on DHS. The coaches vehemently disagreed with the call since the ball was "uncatchable" - they have been watching NCAA FB too much and not looking at their NFHS rule book enough.

RTR91, it would also behoove your PHS coaching staff (starting at the top) to stop berating officials at every single call that does not go their way. I could go into much more detail but I would get called on the carpet by the other mods. Let's just say that calling a PHS game is not a pleasurable experience for guys in striped shirts.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Bingo.

It's not just broadcasters. I was calling the Demopolis/Sweet Water game and we had a PI call on DHS. The coaches vehemently disagreed with the call since the ball was "uncatchable" - they have been watching NCAA FB too much and not looking at their NFHS rule book enough.

RTR91, it would also behoove your PHS coaching staff (starting at the top) to stop berating officials at every single call that does not go their way. I could go into much more detail but I would get called on the carpet by the other mods. Let's just say that calling a PHS game is not a pleasurable experience for guys in striped shirts.
I could easily see that about the coaching staff. Dubose does have a temper.

Also, I would like to hear your stories. Feel free to PM them to me.

Last edited:

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Bingo.
Let's just say that calling a PHS game is not a pleasurable experience for guys in striped shirts.
Hmmm. I worked PHS/Davidson last year, and had no problems with either sideline, even though the game went down to the last few seconds. Of course, both teams had been warned to be on their best behavior due to the altercation during their 2008 game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.