ADMIN NOTE: ALL POSTERS READ: Profanity on this message board

cager

Aug 6, 2011
Union Grove, AL
Re: Profanity on this message board

Profanity and the use thereof shows an inability to express oneself in a proper manner and a loss of self control.
My father (a former navy man, WWII), once told me "Son you cuss more than a sailor". Learning tact in the MP Corps, As an NCO, I could tell you to go to hades and make you feel good to be on your way. As a minister, I warn you of hades and encourage you to walk the other way. I encourage all to put your mind in gear before you release your tongue or type on a keypad.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

i have a serious question, i've gotten dinged for this a couple times and it is frustrating- every now and then i will post a youtube clip. then i will get a nice message from the mods to delete bc of profanity in the comments section under the video. pretty much EVERY youtube video (and many other sites) have profanity in their comments section. sofor me i dont even read the comments and could care less what some random troll says below a video so i rarely even read the comments to begin with. so should we just avoid posting videos? is there some way to filter off the comments below the videos? it is a shame bc many videos are very intelligent or informative and it is a shame that video is banned simply bc some moron drops a cussword in the 5th comment.
Another thing you can't avoid is when the comments are posted. Some of those videos have a 100,000 comments and are constantly being updated. You might post a video at 3:00PM and by 3:30PM theres an "f" bomb in one of the comments.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida

i have a serious question, i've gotten dinged for this a couple times and it is frustrating- every now and then i will post a youtube clip. then i will get a nice message from the mods to delete bc of profanity in the comments section under the video. pretty much EVERY youtube video (and many other sites) have profanity in their comments section. sofor me i dont even read the comments and could care less what some random troll says below a video so i rarely even read the comments to begin with. so should we just avoid posting videos? is there some way to filter off the comments below the videos? it is a shame bc many videos are very intelligent or informative and it is a shame that video is banned simply bc some moron drops a cussword in the 5th comment.
I know it's frustrating, but unless the video will embed directly here (and hence not show the comments), you're still responsible for the idiot comments in the link if it redirects. Some videos will embed, some demand a redirect to youtube. I don't know how to tell the difference (maybe someone else does?) without just attempting to post the link, then seeing what happens.

If the link redirects and the comments below contain profanity, you must delete the link. Or we will, and that's rarely good for you (if it becomes a pattern).

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL

I know it's frustrating, but unless the video will embed directly here (and hence not show the comments), you're still responsible for the idiot comments in the link if it redirects. Some videos will embed, some demand a redirect to youtube. I don't know how to tell the difference (maybe someone else does?) without just attempting to post the link, then seeing what happens.

If the link redirects and the comments below contain profanity, you must delete the link. Or we will, and that's rarely good for you (if it becomes a pattern).
But what happens if it didn't have profanity when you linked it, but 30 minutes later it does? That happens all the time with youtube comments. There's some videos you can play, and by the time it's finished, there will be a fresh batch of 20 comments underneath it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to challenge board rules. I like the cleanliness of this board compared to others, it's one of the main reasons I come here. I think there's an obvious link between the intelligence of this board and the lack of profanity.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS

I bet all you Mods really had your hands full after last year's Barn game!

And BTW, thanks again Admin/Mods, for running a great, clean board!

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md

i think we need some computer nerds to figure out a way to scrub comments from videos, then all problems would be solved

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida

But what happens if it didn't have profanity when you linked it, but 30 minutes later it does? That happens all the time with youtube comments. There's some videos you can play, and by the time it's finished, there will be a fresh batch of 20 comments underneath it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to challenge board rules. I like the cleanliness of this board compared to others, it's one of the main reasons I come here. I think there's an obvious link between the intelligence of this board and the lack of profanity.
I understand the frustration. Bottom line is, if you realize this is an issue, don't post a video or link to a site where this is likely to happen. You are responsible for the link, no matter if the f-bomb comment gets added after you posted it.

i think we need some computer nerds to figure out a way to scrub comments from videos, then all problems would be solved
That would be lovely, but I think the issue comes from the link's source, not something that can necessarily be controlled here. But I'm not computer-savvy enough to say for certain. If there were a way for Brett to do this, I'm sure he would.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

I'm about to re-install the video embed feature. that way you can just post the link and the video will embed in the post...no need to click a link. this should eliminate this problem.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

My first three sentences cover what you ask.

Many people have been banned or given time out for linking to a site filled with profanity. If you think it might be a risk I suggest you either don't do it or ask before posting.
We miss you, Rich!!

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

Use the handy-dandy video button on the new post/thread/reply edit bar ( looks like a greenish window pane to the right of the link button and image insert button.

WHen you press the video button, it will popup a screen and all you do is enter the video url like: http://youtu.be/jET1VyRNldM

It will then embed it and it will turn into this:

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama

Use the handy-dandy video button on the new post/thread/reply edit bar ( looks like a greenish window pane to the right of the link button and image insert button.

WHen you press the video button, it will popup a screen and all you do is enter the video url like: http://youtu.be/jET1VyRNldM

It will then embed it and it will turn into this:

Cool beans!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.