You Make the Call - 9/3

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
1st & 10 from B30. 4th quarter 0:03 to go. Score tied 21-21. Clock expires in each scenario during the play. What would you do in each scenario?

A - A21 runs to the B15 where he is tackled by his facemask (15 yarder).
B - A21 runs to the B10 where he runs out of bounds and then is hit late.
C - A21 runs for a TD, during the run he taunts B55 at the B 10 yard line.
D - A21 runs for a TD, during the run A75 is flagged for holding at the B 28 yard line.
E - A21 runs for a TD. Once he is in the end zone B8 takes a cheap shot and pops him

I think these type plays are fun and something you could actually see.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
1st & 10 from B30. 4th quarter 0:03 to go. Score tied 21-21. Clock expires in each scenario during the play. What would you do in each scenario?

D - A21 runs for a TD, during the run A75 is flagged for holding at the B 28 yard line.
E - A21 runs for a TD. Once he is in the end zone B8 takes a cheap shot and pops him

A - A ball on the B 7 and 1/2 with 0:00 left. One more play for A.
B - A ball on B 5 with 0:00 left. One last play since can't finish the game on a defensive penalty.
C - I'm not too sure about this one since high school has different rules. Maybe still a touchdown :conf2:
D - Penalty negates the TD, but end of regulation because game CAN end on offensive penalty.
E - A wins the game. B8 should be ashamed.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
A - A21 runs to the B15 where he is tackled by his facemask (15 yarder)
Untimed down from the B7.5, since a period cannot end if there is an accepted penalty by either team during the last timed down. Line up for the FG attempt.

The 15-yd penalty will be assessed on the first play of overtime.

A wins by 6. Go to the car. Even though it happened during live ball play, this foul is penalized as if it were a dead ball foul. Since the game is now over, no penalty is possible.

A will have one untimed down from the B38. Get ready for the Hail Mary play.

Same as C. However, if you deem B8's foul to be flagrant, you may eject him (and, in Alabama, he will write a check to the state office).

Last edited:

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Same as C. However, if you deem B8's foul to be flagrant, you may eject him (and, in Alabama, he will write a check to the state office).
The player would be fined in Alabama? I have no idea what would happen as far as a fine in Tennessee.

I know when a player is ejected, of course the coach always wants to know the consequences and the only thing we will tell him is that it is up to the state.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
The player would be fined in Alabama? I have no idea what would happen as far as a fine in Tennessee.
In Alabama, when any team member is ejected, the school is fined. It's $300 for the first, $500 for the second by the same person, and $750 for a third by the same person. In addition, there are suspensions for the second or third occurrence.

As you can imagine, ejections have dropped dramatically since this policy has been in place.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top

A - untimed down from the 7.5 (3-3-3a)
B - penalty will be added on first play of OT. Had the score not been tied, the game was over as soon as the player ran out of bounds. (3-3-6) Dead ball foul goes from succeeding spot. Succeeding spot will be the first play of OT.
C - ball game. A wins. (3-3-4b1)
D - replay down from 38 and extend period (3-3-3a)
E - game over A wins (3-3-6) dead ball foul goes from succeeding spot. TD was scored, no succeeding spot

Been on vacation for a week and hadn't been on. Everyone agree with the answers I have posted and rule references?

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
A wins by 6. Go to the car. Even though it happened during live ball play, this foul is penalized as if it were a dead ball foul. Since the game is now over, no penalty is possible.
Yep, this is basically why it wouldn't have mattered if a penalty was called on Bama for Cody taking his helmet off at the end of the UT game last year.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Hope your vacation didn't include Neyland Stadium last Saturday! ;)
It didn't last week. I was on a ship.....with NO SEC football. They had NBC, ABC, and ESPN2 Deportes. So we got to see Mich/ND and OK/FSU. At 7pm was NASCAR, local news, and effin' soccer.....SOCCER! WTH? :)

I was there for UT-Martin and should be there this week for Florida

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
Yep, this is basically why it wouldn't have mattered if a penalty was called on Bama for Cody taking his helmet off at the end of the UT game last year.
Does anyone know how the Cody play would have been handled under the new rules that are going into effect next year? I know that next year, unsportsmanlike conduct that happens during a play will be treated as a live ball foul. But, in that case, would UT have gotten a rekick, or would it have been post scrimmage kick enforcement-ending the game?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Does anyone know how the Cody play would have been handled under the new rules that are going into effect next year? I know that next year, unsportsmanlike conduct that happens during a play will be treated as a live ball foul. But, in that case, would UT have gotten a rekick, or would it have been post scrimmage kick enforcement-ending the game?
I don't think it matters since it was a change of possession. Maybe spot the ball back 15 yards from the LOS with Bama getting the ball.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
We'll have to wait for the 2011 NCAA rule book to come out to find out.

It would probably not have been treated as PSK, since the ball didn't cross the expanded neutral zone. My guess is that is would be previous spot enforcement & replay the down if the yardage didn't give K a first down. If that's correct, UT would have had an untimed down.

Of course, that's all conjecture, since there was no flag on the play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.