Question: What if Bama beat V.Tech 33-30 last weekend?

Lou_Holtz

1st Team
Mar 6, 2010
on my PC
twitter.com
I was thinking about this today.
What if Alabama (instead of B.State) won the V.Tech game Saturday?

The discussion would be a lot different.
Here are some things we would of discussed:

• What happened to the defense?
  • They almost lost to the #10 team in the country.
  • They had to win it with only 1:09 remaining.
  • Is Viirginia Tech really that good? The Hokies fell to 0-22 against AP top-5 teams away from home and 1-26 overall.
  • I'm sure Alabama would of lost some first place votes.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Ohio State would be #1. What gets me is that BSU brought back a whole team offense and defense from last year and VA. Tech had to replace nearly their whole defense from last season. If they had met mid-season Tech most likely would have ironed out their mistakes and blown them out. As long as Bama gets to meet them in the BCS championship I won't care. But if they surpass a one loss Bama SEC champion to play say an undefeated Ohio State I will be mad!!!

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
That is an excellent question. What if the only way we had won that game is by virtue of poor clock management by VA Tech. Could you imagine what we would have heard from our rivals on that no call block in the back on the punt return (it was close, not sure which way it should have gone)? I know that we would not have gained 8 1st place votes in the process.

I really don't harbor any resentment towards Boise St. I just get tired of the media discussing it ad nauseum. In all honesty, it's probably best that they got this game out of the way at the beginning of the season. Hopefully, the accolades bestowed upon Boise will have subsided by the end of the season given that they are playing the sisters of the poor the remainder of the season.

VegasTide

All-SEC
Dec 18, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Well, you don't have to imagine that scenario much. Just last year after we had a solid win against VaTech, everyone was saying "look out for Bama" and "Bama has a solid passing game", etc. However, NO ONE was saying: "Bama is a shoe-in for the NCG" or "Bama deserves a shot at the NCG" after just 1 solid win.

Eh, I'm tired of all of this... I just wanna play BSU in the NCG and set the record straight.

Bear Disciple

1st Team
Oct 27, 2009
Tuscaloosa, AL
If we would have beat them in the exact same fashion as BSu then everyone would be shocked at how we lost our 17-0 lead and needed a TD with 1:09 left to win by 3. But they do it and they have ...."great resiliency" and "amazing heart". I'm afraid now that Tebow's gone the ESPN-Florida love affair is over, but the Boise-ESPN marriage is just beginning!! :(

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I am really a Hokie fan, well I like them, and I really like Beamer. But I would like to see them have a 4 or 5 loss season just so that the tater school cannot use this win as a marker.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Think about like this too.

Boise St. beat Oregon last year and immediately jumped into the BCSCG discussion.

What happens if Tennessee beats Oregon this Saturday? They might be ranked in the top 20-25? They definitely wouldn't be in the BCSCG conversation, (and not saying that they should be.)

Just pointing out the media's hypocrisy.

Black Warrior

Suspended
Mar 30, 2010
I hear ya. I'm just hoping we can take care of business this season with all those bye weeks ahead. If we can run that gauntlet, there's no way they'll keep us out of the CSG. I'm just praying we get them in the BCSNCG. It'll be similar to The Gators over Cincinnati in the Sugar Bowl.
But first things first. There's a guy named JoePa coming to town.....

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
If we would have beat them in the exact same fashion as BSu then everyone would be shocked at how we lost our 17-0 lead and needed a TD with 1:09 left to win by 3. But they do it and they have ...."great resiliency" and "amazing heart". I'm afraid now that Tebow's gone the ESPN-Florida love affair is over, but the Boise-ESPN marriage is just beginning!! :(
That's exactly it. It would be, "Bama's not hitting on all cylinders." ESPN and sports journalism in general always has a new young jezebel. USC was dumped for Tebow. Tebow moved on, so Boise's the mistress de jour.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
Hopefully, the accolades bestowed upon Boise will have subsided by the end of the season given that they are playing the sisters of the poor the remainder of the season.
Hmm. Power Eye, no doubt you meant The Little Sisters of the Poor. Just don't some readers to mistake that you intended The Big Sisters. They're tougher. :wink:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
a couple of thoughts:
- I heard on ESPNu's the experts that Boise state stopped Ryan Williams and Bama last year did not. the truth is that it depends on your definition of stopped. he gained 71 yards against Bama, and 44 against BSU. 2010 VT had to replace 2 all conference OLineman from the 2009 team. VT gained 314 total yards against Boise, 155 total yards against bama. I guess Boise was better defensivly.
- Boise is 4-1 all time against top 10 teams since 2001, they lost to #8 hawaii and beat #8 fresno st, TCU, VT and oklahoma. all but 2 were questionable top 10 teams
- all this love for a BSU team that beat a team they were favored against. wow
- yeah, BAMA would probably drop in the polls after struggling with a soft #10 team, one that lost 7 starters on defense and their 2 best offensive linemen.

OLDTIDE

Scout Team
Oct 20, 1999
Orange Park Fla USA
Bama would have beat VT like 42-17. We would beat BS like 31-14. Boise will get better and so will VT. If we play BS in a champioship game, It would be a good one for 3 quarters and then our defense would wear them down and take it by 3 tds.

namath70

Scout Team
Jun 16, 2009
I agree that ESPN has a love affair with BSU and someone needs to put it to rest. I vote for Oregon state in 2 weeks, but if they run the table, I'm sure we can finish the job.
One thing no one has pointed out is that Va Tech could have easily won this game by just simply hitting their fieldgoals. BSU beat a mediocre Va Tech team who brought their C game. Granted that is the nature of the game, but at some point the infatuation with this team being comparable to the top teams in the nation needs to stop.
Put them in a major conference (SEC) or another where they have to play the likes of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, LSU etc.and they would not be able to week in and week out perform as they do. They have weeks to prepare for that one game(Va Tech, Oregon etc.) with guys being much fresher because they have not played anybody significant. But you're right everybody is fascinated with them and I'm sick of it. If Oregon State doesn't dethrone them and their 8 first place votes in the AP poll, then we will in BCSCG. ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
For the most part I agree with the general theme of this thread, but let's not forget that BSU did go into a very hostile environment and defeat a team ranked in the top 10. They do deserve some props for that.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
For the most part I agree with the general theme of this thread, but let's not forget that BSU did go into a very hostile environment and defeat a team ranked in the top 10. They do deserve some props for that.
Yes but they don't deserve to be penciled in for a BCS Championship slot while the other 119 schools fight for the remaining spot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.