Phillips HDTV Widescreen LCD burn-in

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I bought a 32" Phillips LCD Widescreen HDTV and never had a problem with any ghosting or screen burn-in until I bought NCAA11.

Now I've noticed that the recruiting screen has actually burned into my screen!:mad2: Talk about mad! Its at the very top of the screen where one of the light masts are in the background of the recruiting screen, and what I call the "Saturn rings" that go all the way around the screen have burned in at the top by the light mast. Now I play alot of PS3 but I dont remember being on the recruiting screen that long!!

Of course Phillips said it was out of date (it was made in June 2007) and that I should call a repair shop. Safe to say I could probably buy a new one cheaper than to fix this one. It was $750 brand new back then.

Anybody know how to defend screen burn in? This is NOT a plasma. I heard displaying a white screen on it would help and I let it stay on a good bit last night with the screen like that and it helped some but came back when I played the game again and while recruiting thats when I noticed it.

Sorry for all the questions guys but I know you all would know more about this stuff than me!

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
If it's happening, there's not much you can do about it other than display a solid or dynamic image in between play sessions.

I concur that the newer televisions are much better about burn-in than the older ones. A repair shop is a total waste of money. If it is not under warranty, get a new TV and don't play games on the old one.

I had a Samsung 720p plasma that got severe burn-in and blue sparkles after showing red in things such as a DVD menu or a desert scene with orange rock, for even moderate periods of time. Burn-in from screen elements of video games looked horrible, but they did go away after a while.

I now have a Panasonic 1080p plasma I got I think in 2008 that plays everything I throw at it without any detectable visual artifacts whatsoever. I can play Final Fantasy or NCAA all day long with no residual image. It is gorgeous.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
When it shows up its generally on light colors like the view of the sky while watching a real game in HD. On the game it really shows up. I ran a white screen all night last night that seemed to help and I've heard running different colored screens will help as well so I might try a different color and see how that goes.

CBag4Bama

1st Team
Sep 22, 2002
Birmingham, AL
Heard yesterday there is suppose to be a lot of good deals on HDTV's this Christmas because of overstock. Might just be a good time to get yourself a big present.

ColumbusTide

1st Team
Jan 10, 2007
I think the years of keeping the same TV for 10 years are gone. A television used to be a piece of furniture (remember the consoles?), now they are becoming more like computer equipment which must be replaced (or seriously upgraded) every 2 to 3 years for all of the bells and whistles.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.