Philosophy reading list

jwp3d

Scout Team
Nov 3, 2010
Maximus Confessor: Selected Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality)
George C. Berthold (Editor)

The Triads by Gregory Palamas

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
New Views of the Constitution and Construction Construed, and Constitutions Vindicated by John Taylor of Caroline. Early Republican view of the nature of the Federal compact.
Of course, John Randolph of Roanoke, Taylor's friend and colleague, said that one needed a translator to translate Taylor into English.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Original Intentions: On the Making and Ratification of the United States Constitution by M. E. Bradford
A Better Guide Than Reason by M. E. Bradford
The Reactionary Imperative: Essays Literary and Political by M. E. Bradford
The Southern Essays of Richard Weaver, by Richard Weaver
Ideas Have Consequences by Richard Weaver

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Hegel is more than a little dangerous (or, more accurately, dangerously wrong): "The march of God in the world, that is what the state is."

I was never a big fan of Hobbes, for obvious reasons.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
New Views of the Constitution and Construction Construed, and Constitutions Vindicated by John Taylor of Caroline. Early Republican view of the nature of the Federal compact.
Of course, John Randolph of Roanoke, Taylor's friend and colleague, said that one needed a translator to translate Taylor into English.
Original Intentions: On the Making and Ratification of the United States Constitution by M. E. Bradford
A Better Guide Than Reason by M. E. Bradford
The Reactionary Imperative: Essays Literary and Political by M. E. Bradford
The Southern Essays of Richard Weaver, by Richard Weaver
Ideas Have Consequences by Richard Weaver
Those look like some intersting selections, TW. I've been trying to compile a list of all your recommendations - must have a couple dozen by now. I'll eventually get to start some serious study of early US history and the Constitution. Very much looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Hegel is more than a little dangerous (or, more accurately, dangerously wrong): "The march of God in the world, that is what the state is."

I was never a big fan of Hobbes, for obvious reasons.
Yeah, the stuff from the big government crowd is stomach-turning to read. It is all the more dismaying to see that so much of these ideas have crept into modern American governance.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Most of John Taylor's works are available for free on line, if you don't mind reading on a computer screen. He is heavy, but essential to an understanding of early republican (not Republican) thought.
Weaver is interesting, but I generally prefer Mel Bradford. He is both a deep thinker, and a brilliant stylist.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Most of John Taylor's works are available for free on line, if you don't mind reading on a computer screen. He is heavy, but essential to an understanding of early republican (not Republican) thought.
Weaver is interesting, but I generally prefer Mel Bradford. He is both a deep thinker, and a brilliant stylist.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to collect all your recommendations - preferably in hard back form. I have a weakness for hard back books. Of course, a problem is that I'm currently out of shelf space. And with all that I want to read on this subject I'll need an entire bookcase or two. ;)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to collect all your recommendations - preferably in hard back form. I have a weakness for hard back books. Of course, a problem is that I'm currently out of shelf space. And with all that I want to read on this subject I'll need an entire bookcase or two. ;)
Don't get Mrs. Tidewater started on how many bookshelves we have. Every time it comes up, she lets me know how annoyed she is with the ten bookshelves we have stashed around the house.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.