Philosophy reading list

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I recently ran across a digital copy of the Regulations for the University of Alabama, 1861. The course of instruction is included; I thought the courses in the Ethics Department might be of interest in this thread. The philosophy texts seem to be drawn mainly from Scottish Common Sense Realism.
*Note* Only last names of the authors were listed and book titles weren't listed at all, so my list may not be 100% accurate. For example, "Mill" could be James Mill instead of J.S. Mill, maybe even both.
Mental Philosophy
Textbook by Joseph Haven. Books of reference by John Locke, Thomas Reid, Thomas Brown, William Hamilton, Dugald Stewart, and Victor Cousin.
Moral Philosophy
Textbook by Archibald Alexander. Books of reference by Theodore Jouffroy, Dugald Stewart, Thomas Brown, James Mackintosh, Francis Wayland, Hubbard Winslow, Richard Price, and Joseph Butler.
Political Economy
Textbook by Francis Wayland. Books of reference by Adam Smith, Jean-Baptist Say, John McCulloch, John Stuart Mill, and Thomas Chalmers.
Constitutional Law
References: The Federalist Papers, the Writings of John Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Calhoun, and the Selected Debates of the US Senate.

Also of possible interest, tuition for a scholastic year in 1861 was $52.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.