Question: kneeling

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Is there a "no contact" rule if a qb has notified the white hat that he will be kneeling after the snap? Or, is it just a curtesy thing?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I don't think it is courteous or anything like that. I think it's the rule. His knee touches the ground, so he is down. If a defensive player takes a shot at the QB, it would be a late hit penalty.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
I don't think it is courteous or anything like that. I think it's the rule. His knee touches the ground, so he is down. If a defensive player takes a shot at the QB, it would be a late hit penalty.
This is correct. Once his knee goes down the ball is dead...whistle or no whistle.

Playing till you hear a whistle is not always the brightest thing to do.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
If the QB tells me he's going to take a knee, I tell the offense "Keep blocking", and the defense "Don't do anything stupid". We will have a quicker-than-usual whistle, & I will step in as quickly as possible to remind the defense "Play's over".

However, keep in mind that bad snaps DO happen from time to time, & I won't deprive the defense of a chance to recover a muffed snap.

I have had a couple of occasions where the defense didn't heed my warnings & cleaned the QB's clock. That resulted in ejections, & we ran the remaining time off the clock without requiring the offense to make another snap.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What about in the NFL where the player has to be down by contact? Do the defenders go touch the QB or what?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.