What is your favorite way to cook/season chicken wings?

Dartigan

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I love wings. Absolutely love them. Restaurants seems to always fry them, which I've only done <1% of the time at home. In fact, I can think of only ONCE I've ever fried wings.

Over the years, I've tried many different methods of cooking wings. I like a tasty skin, but I don't want grease to squirt everywhere when I bite into one. This fall, I've settled on this method:

Charcoal grill /w lump charcoal. It produces a white-hot heat that sears the skin nicely.

Soaked hickory chips/chunks on top of charcoal.

Full wing sections. Take the wing tip and fold it backwards over the drumette. Imagine the chicken putting his hand behind his head, if you will. This created a triangular "tepee" of a wing. The fattest part of the drum is closest to the fire, with the tip on top. Each one is almost like a miniature "drunk chicken."

Then I enjoy a generous helping of a seasoning called "Southern Flavor." If you've never tried it, you can get a free sample here: (Southern Flavor Seasonings). My family has used this stuff for decades and it is delicious on any type of meat.

After the wings come off, I toss mine in Franks Red Hot and a little butter for a nice coating. The Mrs. enjoys a Honey BBQ sauce, so I toss the wings in that and throw her wings back on the barbie for a few minutes to firm up the sauce.

The one thing I've never been able to accomplish is an absolutely incredible ranch dipping sauce. Generally, I eat the grilled wings without ranch b/c the store bought stuff is just too thick for my liking. I've tried the Hidden Valley Ranch packet /w 1 cup of sour cream, which is a good bit thinner, but it's a bit heavy on the dill taste I think.

I wish I could buy the stuff Wing Zone uses. IMO, that's the best ranch for wings ever... although I'm sure it would not be fitting for a salad. I just thought I'd share my wing experiences, and hopefully you guys will to as I'm always looking for new wing methods.

Last edited:

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I lightly dust mine with flour and deep fry then toss with Crystal hot sauce and some clarified butter. For dip I make my own blue cheese dressing or buttermilk ranch.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.