All of the talk of casseroles. . .

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
I was watching an ooolld episode of Justin Wilson's show a few weeks ago (yes, I know he was an actor), and he made a couple of good looking casseroles. One was made with brussels sprouts, cheese, some spicy seasonings, and some other stuff (which I can't remember, as I believe I was nightmarishly hung over at the time).

Where might I find this recipe? Is there some website that has his recipes, or does anyone know of some similar one?

Brussels sprouts = good

(also, I think it's funny to watch those old shows where he uses the dry spices. . . the new shows on the food network wouldn't be caught dead using garlic salt
)

[This message has been edited by Jack Bourbon (edited 05-10-2004).]

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Ah darnit. I guess that show ran for about 15 years, so most of the recipes are likely unavailable.

Well, everyone keep your eyes open for that brussels sprouts casserole recipe. It really looked like da bomb.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Found something similar on foodnetwork.com. Uses prosciutto and nutmeg, and no red pepper, but seems like the same basic idea. Looks good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_25025,00.html

Home > Recipes

Screaming Heads: Brussels Sprouts Gratin
Recipe courtesy The Cookworks, 2003
Show: Cookworks Episode: Turkey Talk

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

2 pounds Brussels sprouts
4 ounces prosciutto, julienned
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Roasted Garlic, recipe follows
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup sherry
1 cup finely grated Parmesan, plus 1/2 cup
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Special equipment: a large casserole dish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel off any damaged outer layers of Brussels sprouts. Trim the stem to make it flush. Quarter each sprout and score the stem on each quarter with a 1/4-inch-deep "X."

Saute the prosciutto in the butter over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and Brussels sprouts and stir continuously for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the flour and continue stirring for 2 minutes. Add the cream, half-and-half, and sherry. Bring the liquid to a simmer, then reduce the heat and continue simmering for 7 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by 1/3. Stir in the 1 cup of Parmesan, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish. Cover with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Serve immediately.

Roasted Garlic:
1 head garlic
1/2 teaspoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut off the papery tip of the garlic head, exposing the top of each garlic clove. Brush the exposed cloves with olive oil.

Place the garlic, root side down, on the center of a piece of aluminum foil. Bundle the garlic with the foil, leaving a small vent on top. Roast the garlic for 45 minutes or until the cloves turn beige and are fork tender. Remove from the oven and let stand until cool enough to handle.

Squeeze the garlic head upside down over a small bowl and the cloves will pop out.

Refrigerate for up to 1 week.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
I don't think this one is Justin's, but it sounds like your kind of dish Jack!

Brussels Sprouts In Beer

1 Lb Brussels Sprouts, Fresh
1 Beer, Any Brand, To Cover
1/2Tsp Salt
2 Tbl Butter

Preparation

Trim and wash sprouts. Place in a medium-size saucepan and pour enough beer over them to cover.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Add more beer if needed, as liquid evaporates. Drain; add salt and butter. Serve hot.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jack Bourbon:
I could do a cooking show butt naked and be less irritating than that guy</font>
Got that right Jack. Jamie is close to the bottom of my favorite list. His band isn't too bad though.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.