RECIPE: Low Country Boil

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
LOW COUNTRY BOIL

Large stock pot needed. (about 16 quarts)

6 quarts water
12 teaspoons Zataran's liquid crab boil
4 lemons cut in half
2 large white onions cut in half
8 medium red potatoes scrubbed with skin on
6 ears of corn on cob cut in half
1 pound link sausage
3 pounds large shrimp, heads removed, shell on.

Bring water and crab boil to a boil. Squeeze and add lemons and onions. Put in the potatoes and sausage first and cook over medium heat 20 minutes. (check water for spices, add more crab boil if needed)Water should cover everything. If it doesn't, add more water and crab boil (2 tsp crab boil per quart). Next add corn and cook another 10-12 minutes then add shrimp for last 3 minutes of cooking time. Remove pot from heat and drain liquid.

[This message has been edited by bayoutider (edited 05-10-2004).]

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
This is an awesome recipe. WE've done it @ family gatherings. Highly recommended for hosting a group of folks.

We're aiming @ an end-of-school-year gathering (or two, or three...) with this as the entree.

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
Thanks Bayou...we do that alot! The best way to serve this inside or out is to cover a table with plastic and newspaper and dump the entire thing on the table and dig in!

------------------
The Bus to our future is driven by Coach Mike Shula...Get on board or be left behind!

--Me

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alanbama27:
Thanks Bayou...we do that alot! The best way to serve this inside or out is to cover a table with plastic and newspaper and dump the entire thing on the table and dig in!

</font>
We do the same for crawfish and shrimp boils too. Cover a picnic table with plastic, drag a garbage can up to each end and put at least 2 rolls of paper towels on the table. Who needs plates? We also have a garden hose handy to spray off with when things get real messy. Ahhhhhhhhhhh rustic dining at its best.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
I just saw my neighbor the other day outside cooking up a big pot of this. I keep thinking I've got to some have soon.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
Finally got my fix when a friend invited us over for a shrimp boil Sunday night. That was the hottest, spiciest food I've had in years. The shrimp, corn, potatoes and sausage were SO HOT, you could feel it on your tongue before you could taste it! :)

The shrimp were so orange, they looked irredescent. Not sure what he used.

For three hours afterwards, I drank, drank, and drank some more. Needless to say, I'll be making the next batch! :)

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
BamaLuver said:
Finally got my fix when a friend invited us over for a shrimp boil Sunday night. That was the hottest, spiciest food I've had in years. The shrimp, corn, potatoes and sausage were SO HOT, you could feel it on your tongue before you could taste it! :)

The shrimp were so orange, they looked irredescent. Not sure what he used.

For three hours afterwards, I drank, drank, and drank some more. Needless to say, I'll be making the next batch! :)
Can't stand the heat? :D

* Remedies for eating a pepper that is too hot for you:
Drink milk, rinsing the mouth with it while swallowing, ice cream or yogurt. Eat rice or bread which will absorb the capsaicin. Drink tomato juice or eat a fresh lime or lemon ( the acid will counter act the alkalinity of the capsaicin). Do not drink water. Capsaicin which is an oil, will not mix with water but instead, will distribute to more parts of the mouth. A more "Macho" remedy is drinking large quantities of cold beer.

I

It's On A Slab

bayoutider said:
LOW COUNTRY BOIL

Large stock pot needed. (about 16 quarts)

6 quarts water
12 teaspoons Zataran's liquid crab boil
4 lemons cut in half
2 large white onions cut in half
8 medium red potatoes scrubbed with skin on
6 ears of corn on cob cut in half
1 pound link sausage
3 pounds large shrimp, heads removed, shell on.

Bring water and crab boil to a boil. Squeeze and add lemons and onions. Put in the potatoes and sausage first and cook over medium heat 20 minutes. (check water for spices, add more crab boil if needed)Water should cover everything. If it doesn't, add more water and crab boil (2 tsp crab boil per quart). Next add corn and cook another 10-12 minutes then add shrimp for last 3 minutes of cooking time. Remove pot from heat and drain liquid.

[This message has been edited by bayoutider (edited 05-10-2004).]

The missuz hails from Chas., SC.

They call this "Frogmore Stew".

I always thought it was like jambalaya....minus the Cajun spices.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
It's On A Slab said:
The missuz hails from Chas., SC.

They call this "Frogmore Stew".

I always thought it was like jambalaya....minus the Cajun spices.
Jambalaya is way different, more like a cajun version of paella but different.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I went camping at Desoto State Park Over Labor Day weekend. When the Game was over, I cooked a slightly 'Meaner' version of Bayou's recipe. I added more Liquid Zatarin's and extra peppers, it smelled up the entire campground.
People kept walking by to see what I was cooking.
I felt sorry for a couple from Ga... She was an Alabama fan, and he was a Dog...
I fed em.
(I had my Cajun Cooker going under a Oak beside my trailer.)
The Bayou recipe is tried and true...
Not to mention easy to cook and easy to clean up afterwards.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.