Link: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced - Page 3
Thanks Thanks:  0 Like Like:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0 Ha Ha! Ha Ha!:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BamaNation Second Team ramajama22's Avatar

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim announced

I'm a huge gamer, but never really enjoyed the "classic" RPG. This to me is like a hybrid RPG...and is fantastic! You truly can put hours in and never "progress" the main story, which btw is short and it's advised to go ahead and complete it, b/c you get some cool stuff.

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC specialkpntbl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ramajama22 View Post
    I'm a huge gamer, but never really enjoyed the "classic" RPG. This to me is like a hybrid RPG...and is fantastic! You truly can put hours in and never "progress" the main story, which btw is short and it's advised to go ahead and complete it, b/c you get some cool stuff.
    So I'm going to take that as finishing the main quest doesn't "end" the game. That happened on Fallout: New Vegas, and I was pretty livid.
    Defeat is part of football, remembered -- in the South -- even longer than victory. It is the lurking possibility of defeat that makes victory so sweet; it lies there waiting in ambush, out of sight, beyond anyone's control, ready to snap sweet victory away in merciless iron jaws

BamaNation Hall of Fame BEATtutorsee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by specialkpntbl View Post
    So I'm going to take that as finishing the main quest doesn't "end" the game. That happened on Fallout: New Vegas, and I was pretty livid.
    I haven't finished it myself (I haven't even started it actually) but from listening to some friends of mine it doesn't. Although I would recommend to start it before you get too far ahead because I've run across a quest that had me fighting a dragon, but upon killing it I got no dragon soul (which I assume is because I hadn't started/finished the main quest line).
    "Make his a** quit! That's our trademark, that's our m.o. as a team! That's what people know us as!"

Alabama head coach Nick Saban

"If it feels good, you ain't doin' it right!"

Alabama S&C coach Scott Cochran

BamaNation Hall of Fame RammerJammer14's Avatar

In all of Bethesda's ES games, finishing the main quest DOES NOT end the game. So you can finish the MQ in Skyrim and still play to your heart's content. I remember when I used to play Morrowind, I didn't even know there was a Main Quest until about my 3rd character and many, many hours of game time.

BEATtudorsee, the reason nothing happened when you killed the dragon is probably because you have not read any word-walls with the dragon language yet. The souls only do something when you "learn" a new word or phrase, and some words require more than one soul to activate. The "dragonborn" is supposed to be an innate ability and is not something you get because you did the main quest.

I would suggest doing the main quest up until you kill a Dragon outside Whiterun (basically the 2nd MQ mission) because it is a good stopping point, you get a dragon shout, and a companion (if you want one). Thats what I did, and I haven't touched the MQ since.
    -Why's it us Sergeant? Why us?
    -Because we're here lad. Nobody else. Just us.

-"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened."
    -"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

BamaNation Hall of Fame BEATtutorsee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer14 View Post
    In all of Bethesda's ES games, finishing the main quest DOES NOT end the game. So you can finish the MQ in Skyrim and still play to your heart's content. I remember when I used to play Morrowind, I didn't even know there was a Main Quest until about my 3rd character and many, many hours of game time.

BEATtudorsee, the reason nothing happened when you killed the dragon is probably because you have not read any word-walls with the dragon language yet. The souls only do something when you "learn" a new word or phrase, and some words require more than one soul to activate. The "dragonborn" is supposed to be an innate ability and is not something you get because you did the main quest.

I would suggest doing the main quest up until you kill a Dragon outside Whiterun (basically the 2nd MQ mission) because it is a good stopping point, you get a dragon shout, and a companion (if you want one). Thats what I did, and I haven't touched the MQ since.
    No I had discovered plenty of words prior to that, believe me. I just never absorbed the dragon soul upon killing it like you normally would. Doesn't matter now as I've since killed that first dragon outside of Whiterun.
    "Make his a** quit! That's our trademark, that's our m.o. as a team! That's what people know us as!"

Alabama head coach Nick Saban

"If it feels good, you ain't doin' it right!"

Alabama S&C coach Scott Cochran

BamaNation Second Team ramajama22's Avatar

I will say this...if you start the Theives Guild Main Quests...I opted to keep an item that you're supposed to turn in. You get it at one of the latter quests. It rocks...granted I am no longer progressing the Thieves Guild story...but I'm cool with that. LOL.
    Last edited by ramajama22; January 18th, 2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added some content

"Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda

BamaNation All-SEC specialkpntbl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RammerJammer14 View Post
    In all of Bethesda's ES games, finishing the main quest DOES NOT end the game. So you can finish the MQ in Skyrim and still play to your heart's content.
    Good to know.
    Defeat is part of football, remembered -- in the South -- even longer than victory. It is the lurking possibility of defeat that makes victory so sweet; it lies there waiting in ambush, out of sight, beyond anyone's control, ready to snap sweet victory away in merciless iron jaws