Best Defense..??....??

What Defense are you running most?

• Total voters

Root4Bama

1st Team
Aug 8, 2003
BAMA
What Defense are you guys running? I like the new defenses on the game this year, but I am still sticking with the 4-4 and nickel.

Vertical

All-American
May 15, 2000
New Hampshire
I run Nickel mostly... Max Cover in the Nickel is awesome, as it pretty much eliminates the short pass and the run, and as long as you have decent safeties (you do!), you're all set.

I have been running the 3-3-5 and the 4-2-5, mixed in with 3-4, 4-4, nickel, and dime. I like some plays out of each of those. But, I do like the mixture of blitz packages in the two new defensive formations...and, that they added some plays to our older formations, too.

The Tide

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Nashville, TN
I always run the nickel with zone and corner blitz. You can set the sack record with that plus get some decent picks.

the key is to have two good LB's with speed.

Rolling Tide

1st Team
May 29, 2002
A, A
www.crimsonphoto.com
Well it all depends. I run the 4-3 thunder if they are in an ace or I formations and if they only have 2 WR's. If they try to pass out of these formations they are not going to get the pass off very much and if they get the pass off they will be on the run and the chance of the pass being caught is very slim and if they run well you have the LB's breathing down their necks. This also depends on if they run on the inside of the tackles.

Now if they are running on the out side I will come more running a 4-3 fire so the LB's go around the outside and come back inside of the back field.

Now if they are in a formation with 3 WR's I will then change to a nickle cover 3 or a Dime Cover Gold with a CB blitzing.

If they are in a 4 or 5 wide set I always go to a dime cloud most of the time.

Last edited:

Ozzie4AD

Banned
Jul 27, 2004
An hour east of Heaven
I'm runnin' the 3-4 to utilize all of the LB's Bama has. Deciding between Roach and Wortham at MLB was too much, so I went with both. Bates, Bryant, and Clark as the DL, with Turner, Harris, and Anderson getting the relief duty. Lee got a redshirt and next year we go back to the 4-3 with Washington playing one DE, more than likely. Peprah is playing FS and Harper has SS. Carlos gets to be a special teamer, just like RL. I've tried to make it set up somewhat closer to the real thing, with a few exceptions.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
4-3 or 4-2-5....i have too many good DBs that I have recruited...so I dont have much problem leaving them alone in man and blitzing the LBs and safeties

Vertical

All-American
May 15, 2000
New Hampshire
If you *really* want to set the sack record, just pick the Dime formation, and choose the play where both inside corners blitz (I think it's called Fire something) and the rest of the D is in Zone. Just control whichever DB has the clearest path to the QB (meaning the side without a RB or FB in the way). I got 103 sacks in 1 season with this method. I was defensive player of the week for the whole NCAA every single week. I won the heisman as a freshman corner. Sure, it's super-cheesy, but it's fun against the computer. :) No one will ever score on you, no matter the difficulty.

ashleync

Jun 29, 2001
Pelham, Alabama
Running the 4-3 a lot, but let me tell you, Anthony Bryant is a monster. He is picking up plenty sacks against the CPU.

Oh, and on my NFL game, Kindal Morehead recorded three sacks last night for Carolina against Detroit. Go Kindal!!

bamafancoop

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 20, 2005
Tuscaloosa
3-4, 4-3

I stick to a cover 3 3-4. When in 4-3, i either run cover two or some type of blitz. When im ****ed, i run goalline, but then I usually get beat deep.

Hawk324

Suspended
Dec 5, 1999
AL
My base defense is 4-3, but I u se em all. Depends on the situation. Is it a passing down or are they likley to run? I choose depending on that criteria.

:)

KayBee

Banned
Jan 1, 2005
Ruston, LA
mainly depends on the offensive formation but I run primarily 4-3 and about 90% of my plays in nickel and dime carry a corner blitz

I like the 3-3-5 as the best in theory but I have had little success with it

and the only defense I've ever had success with on Madden 2004 was the 46

Bama323

All-American
Feb 3, 2005
The 4-3 and the 4-2-5 are my favorites. I usually stick with the 4-3 against good running teams that are balanced. I've found it is best to go with the 4-2-5 against teams that have a mobile QB that can pass. Sometimes it also depends on the situation I'm in. If its 3rd and long, I may switch to a 3-4 or a dime. but if its 3 and 2, I usually go with a 4-3 or a 4-4. A 4-2-5 using a double spy is very good against a team with an extremly fast QB like Arkansas.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.