Question: No Rings for our National Champion Cheer Squad?

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
:biga2:Several reports are out that the administration is not going to give our cheer squad National Championship Rings. With all that we are doing right, from academics, to athletics, surely we would not be that stupid as to not give our cheer squad the recognition they deserve. Any Bama group that achieves excellence needs to be celebrated. Just to let those that are unfamiliar with cheer competitions know, they beat Kentucky to win (Wooden UCLA Basketball).

I have had the opportunity to meet Dr. Witt in person and my impression is that he is by far the smartest guy in the room. I cannot believe that he would allow this.

Mods if this is not in the right place, sorry. I do not know where it should go.

Competitive cheerleading is not a recognized NCAA sport, thus making it a club level one. It's not the first time a club level team has won a championship and not gotten rings. It surely won't be the last. The cheerleaders also knew, well in advance of this competition, that Alabama's policy is not to award rings to non-sanctioned NCAA teams.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Because it's copyrighted. It's the same as anyone of us trying to put it or any other copyrighted image on a custom ring.
You're 100% correct..Being part of the University & willing to pay for the rings themselves..You would think they would allow this one exception..I dunno..This will bring unneeded negative press towards the school..Kinda silly to deny them the rings..JMO

You're 100% correct..Being part of the University & willing to pay for the rings themselves..You would think they would allow this one exception..I dunno..This will bring unneeded negative press towards the school..Kinda silly to deny them the rings..JMO
If one club team were to be given rings, every club team would have to get them. I don't care if they're cheerleaders or not... they are still a club level team participating in a non-NCAA championship event when it comes to competition.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
there comes a point when common sense should overrule ink on paper. unfortunately middle management is virtually devoid of common sense.
are the cheerleaders trying to make money off of the script A? no.
are they paying for it themselves? yes
does it represent the university in a positive manner? yup
does it show a level of pride in the university and encourage good will amongst the students and alumni? yup

then you conveniently overlook it and claim you were never asked and you dont plan on doing anything about it except wishing the cheerleaders a big congrats on their achievement.

this isnt that hard to figure out. unfortunately we live in a wimpy cya world governed by sleazeball lawyers and those who are fearful of them.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
there comes a point when common sense should overrule ink on paper. unfortunately middle management is virtually devoid of common sense.
are the cheerleaders trying to make money off of the script A? no.
are they paying for it themselves? yes
does it represent the university in a positive manner? yup
does it show a level of pride in the university and encourage good will amongst the students and alumni? yup

then you conveniently overlook it and claim you were never asked and you dont plan on doing anything about it except wishing the cheerleaders a big congrats on their achievement.

this isnt that hard to figure out. unfortunately we live in a wimpy cya world governed by sleazeball lawyers and those who are fearful of them.
Trademarks laws aren't a simple thing, and if the owner of said TM allows a group to use the symbol, it becomes much more difficult to defense said mark against infringement from similar groups.

Do other schools give their cheerleaders championship rings or allow them to use their trademarks in their club level rings?

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
:BigA:Well if the only issue is the use of the A then I suggest they immediately remove it from ALL their uniforms. If some lawyer in the University office thinks he is protecting the University then he needs to be fired immediately. This whole thing just seems to get more stupid by the minute. By the way, please do not tell them but the jacket I am currently wearing has the script A. :BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA:

Last edited by a moderator:
:BigA:Well if the only issue is the use of the A then I suggest they immediately remove it from ALL their uniforms. If some horses axx lawyer in the University office thinks he is protecting the University then he needs to be fired immediately. This whole thing just seems to get more stupid by the minute. By the way, please do not tell them but the jacket I am currently wearing has the script A. :BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA::BigA:
Which means it was officially licensed by the University.

Here's my thoughts and suggestions on what should happen: Eliminate competition cheerleading. It would put an end to this discussion real quickly.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
So they can't use the script A, big deal. I'm sure they could come up with a nice looking ring without using any TM logos. Oh but they don't want to do that, they want to cause a stink and tried to get sympathy rings out of the University. If you want a ring, play a NCAA sport, you know, the real sports.

To Lost in TN, I think a little common sense is needed in regards to your statement. Obviously the uniforms are provided by the University and your jacket is licensed, which cost the company that made it a pretty penny to purchased said license.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I'm moving this back to the football board b/c I think that, while it's certainly an "other sport," it deserves some continued discussion.

I'm not a big fan of "cheer competitions." However, this UA AD policy seems wrongheaded to me. I also agree with Lost in TN's high opinion of Dr. Witt being the smartest guy in the room. This is something that needs to be resolved.

Carry on the discussion with this thread now in the FB board!

ART

1st Team
Ok, I need a little clarification. Can someone tell me if this is in fact the cheer squad that cheers for the football team or is it just a squad of competition cheerleaders? I see the argument for both sides, but another thing I'd like to point out (and this seems to come up more often lately than in the past), what happens if the script A is allowed for no charge on this ring, making it a VERY rare item and years down the road it ends up on eBay? This is yet another example of what the University is trying to avoid. Don't say it can't happen....maybe not likely, but it could.

How many more (club level) sports are there that are not recognized by the NCAA? If not many then I say get the girls rings. BESIDES....eventually the NCAA may decide to make this a recognized sport and these girls would actually be the first BAMA squad to have won a Chmapionship. Instead of complaining about rings, why doesn't someone get this as an official sport?? It really should be considering how many parents out there these days are spending thousands of dollars for their kids to do it.

Last edited:

UANAA

Scout Team
Oct 12, 2007
Tuscaloosa
Competitive cheerleading is not a recognized NCAA sport, thus making it a club level one.
This is not accurate. Any financial assistance (partial scholarship $$) that cheerleaders receive comes from the Athletic Department. There is no support of any club level sports from the Athletic Department; they all fall under University Recreation. The cheerleading squad is a function of the Athletic Dept and, regardless of it being recognized as an NCAA sport, has absolutely no connection with club sports.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
If one club team were to be given rings, every club team would have to get them. I don't care if they're cheerleaders or not... they are still a club level team participating in a non-NCAA championship event when it comes to competition.
Exactly!

Next thing you know a bunch of girls are going to get together and start a pageant club and begin insisting that all the training they do in order to wear their evening gowns and bikinis correctly for competition qualifies them to be considered "champions" when they win. And where are THEIR rings?!

Does the Million Dollar Band compete nationally? If they did, and they won, should they get championship rings? What about the academic clubs? If the engineering team wins a national competition are they going to want rings too? Don't they all devote a lot of time and cultivate their talents in order to compete? Yes, they do, but that doesn't mean they're entitled to anything other than the title of "winner."

Ugh! There's such a sense of entitlement nowadays. "Look at me! I won something!" Uh, OK...congratulations and job well done! Here's your trophy, plaque, ribbon or whatever to commemorate the occasion. Now move along.

Everyone wants their accomplishment to be given the same acknowledgment as other folks' accomplishments. Guess what. Not all victories are equal. Some are valued more than others. Therefore, some victors are granted certain permissions other victors are not; in this case, the script A "validation/authorization."

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
actually i would make it even more simple- were the cheerleaders allowed to wear alabama uniforms? were they introduced as the University of alabama cheerleading squad? is the trophy they won displayed at the university? if so then it appears they were officially recognized by the university as representatives, and thus, if they want to pay for it themselves, should also be allowed to have an officially sanctioned emblem on their rings.

UANAA

Scout Team
Oct 12, 2007
Tuscaloosa
Exactly!

Next thing you know a bunch of girls are going to get together and start a pageant club and begin insisting that all the training they do in order to wear their evening gowns and bikinis correctly for competition qualifies them to be considered "champions" when they win. And where are THEIR rings?!
Again, this is using the flawed logic of "Not an NCAA sanctioned sport = club level organization", which simply is not true.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
For those that haven't read the article here it is. It gives much more information. It seems like they "expected" rings because Kentucky got them the last 18 times they won. I can see both sides of the argument, but a little give and take might be best here. Cheerleaders do receive financial assistance from the athletic dept., so it is a little different than a club sport.

BTW, there is no difference between the competition squad and the squad cheering at Bryant-Denny except for part of the football squad is JV (the ones in front of sections A/B/C). I think only the varsity participates in competition.

http://www.tidesports.com/article/20110129/NEWS/110129605

Hamilton

Suspended
Dec 5, 2002
Hamilton
bama.ua.edu
I don't care what anyone says...there is absolutely no reason the University should keep them from using University trademarks on rings they pay for themselves. I don't think the University should purchase the rings for them, but UA could easily license rings available for the cheerleaders to purchase on their own or with the cheerleading fund money, completely avoiding the trademark issue altogether.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
i would think that in any national competition, the university would want to excel in everything they do... or was that just a cute advertising line that they didnt really mean?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.