Entre: Grilled Cheese Sandwich Test

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Butter one side of each slice of bread while skillet or grill gets hot. About 325-350F.
Lay bread butter side down on hot skillet, stack on cheese and top with other slice of bread with butter on top.
Let grill till bottom is golden brown then flip over and do the other side. You have the option to mash or not to mash. My opinion is a good grilled cheese sandwich should be mashed flat with the spatula.
Check both sides for color and be sure cheese is melted before eating.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Bayou, it's gotta have a lot of butter and be the slightest bit greasy to be wonderful. Nuthin' turns me off like a dry grilled cheese sammich!
Nothing quite like having a drip of butter run down your arm.

Piminto cheese spread can make a real statement in the grilled cheese list.

UA2373

1st Team
Jul 25, 2010
Hoover, AL
My problem in making a grilled cheese sandwich, I'm no chef, is burning the bread. I use pam on the skillet and all but for some reason I can't quite get the setting right. I do not have temp settings (in degrees) on my stove top.....what do you recommend- medium, medium high or what?

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
My problem in making a grilled cheese sandwich, I'm no chef, is burning the bread. I use pam on the skillet and all but for some reason I can't quite get the setting right. I do not have temp settings (in degrees) on my stove top.....what do you recommend- medium, medium high or what?
I always cook mine on medium. I also melt the butter in the pan rather than spreading it on the bread. As the sandwich is heating up, I'm adding more butter to the pan. My grilled cheese sammiches are never dry, always perfect. Not low fat, but utterly delicious.

UA2373

1st Team
Jul 25, 2010
Hoover, AL
I always cook mine on medium. I also melt the butter in the pan rather than spreading it on the bread. As the sandwich is heating up, I'm adding more butter to the pan. My grilled cheese sammiches are never dry, always perfect. Not low fat, but utterly delicious.
I had forgotten I asked for this advice.....so thanks, the delayed answer worked out perfect. (the low fat thing is not an issue either)

BamaBeta

All-SEC
Sep 18, 2008
Atlanta
To up the deliciousness factor, I will occasionally add a slice of ham or some bacon between the cheese slices while assembling the components. To really set the sandwich off, try no meat but instead dipping the sandwich in some chili before taking a bite.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.